I would recommend this Hotel if you need something good value for money when you visit Riga. Its got more of a hostel atmosphere than a hotel. Riga has a very good public transport which is close to the hotel. There is a very good mall not far from the hotel which has a Rimi hypermarket and many shops and fast foods. In general I would say up to 80% of the people of Latvia is very to extremely un-friendly. I stayed at this hotel but was part of a group of close to 200 which was scattered all over Riga and they found exactly the same. And I found the same with the Annabella hotel staff. They try to avoid eye contact at all cost. It seems as if they try their best to be as cold as possible and would never greet or try to be friendly in any way whatsoever. If you try to be friendly and if you greet first they like start up like a steam engine. Slowly and as if with huge effort and it seems as if they think :" oh well whatever, uhhmm hello" (Maybe with a forced grin or a look of please go away) I met many from Riga during the 9 days I was here and some of the very friendly 20%. For that reason the other 80% of Riga and this hotel staff has no excuse. But some say it because they cannot understand or maybe do not know how at react with other types of people or cultures or languages or people they dont know but Im not sure of that. Some kids do that sometimes when they are unsure of someone else . But I find for example many Chinese Germans and French far more friendly and we do not understand each other either. So to me these people are just constantly in a bad mood or something. Or just childish and do not know how to act in a professional way. The first day we noticed we only had one pillow ( and they are fairly small) and we asked for an extra pillow and the answer was plain and straight in a militant way: NO! Well maybe she did not understand because the only person on the staff I found more shy than anything else and the ray of light here at Annabella was Alena. She was always friendly but not like in a professional way. More in a nice and sincere and shy way which is ok with me and better than the rest. And this tells me that these people never got training on how to treat customers in a professional way and be of service and sound like they mean it. As said maybe this is how most of the people of Latvia is and maybe you have to accept it. Some days the room was cleaned from top to bottom. Some days they only did half. Like not to make the bed or clean the cups or glasses. The hotel is very clean and the linen is clean. The beds are good. There was only 3 coat hangers and we didn't want to get another NO so we left it there. The breakfast is very limited but filling and just enough to be called a breakfast. Nothing is hot except the coffee or tea or hot water or when you make toast. Cold hard boiled eggs etc. Good cheese and cold meats and nice bread and two types of cereal and some muffins and some fruit where you sometimes find a banana when you are lucky.
The bottom line is. I will stay here again and recommend it because its a nice place to sleep. Its safe around the area. Its convenient. The price is good and its really clean. But don't expect anything professional or friendly at the Annabella. Just the basics at a good price. And maybe this review wont change them because that's how they are. But they say when you're in Rome do like the Romans. Maybe we are just not used to the Latvians and don't know how they do it. I can never stay as unfriendly and in such a bad mood for 9 days sorry. But the weird thing is I recommend the hotel as I met some nice guests at the hotel. ( And the Annabella staff I think couldn't understand how that could happen)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Annabella reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Annabella Hotel Riga