“Good price, good location”

Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Ufa, Russia
“Good price, good location”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for three nights. Mostly flawless experience: hotel was easy to find, no problems at check-in and very kind and efficient staff on check-out. Perfectly located: next to railway station, large ORIGO mall, 15-20 minuts of walk Old Riga, parks etc.
Big plus: they correctly handled blocking and unblocking deposits on my credit card! A big plus to hotel staff!

Room was very spacious, i really appreciated silent air-conditioning, slippers, tea-coffee making facilities, bathroom amenities and dental kit (on request), nice small "wellness area" in the basement. Breakfasts were acceptable for such duration of stay.

Not appreciated: no free drink water on arrival (at least small bottle, cmon) and large window in the bath room, which theoretically allowed all the people from highest floors of opposite building to "enjoy" viewing me naked during shower. Would be good to make that window completely mat or mirrow or provide curtains - whatever.

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms, as they have windows in bath.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montcuq, France
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had a short stay in late May 2014 at this hotel and had quite a few issues with the room(s) I was given.
Before everything I have to say the hotel is conveniently located, though not directly on Elizabeth Iela (though not far), in a district now under reconstruction, close to the Central Station.
Style of the hotel mixes both the old district (art nouveau) style, with a more modern one.
There is a small (paying) parking in front of the hotel, otherwise few options of parking in the neighbourhood.
Wifi is free and effective.
Staff is young, enthusiastic, willing to help and (most of the time) competent.
Breakfast area is clean, food is fine, varied (but music is not, if you are a fan of U2 it's OK though )))
I started my trip within the hotel by a nice but small room (I suppose that since I booked on internet, they gave me what was available then, hotel beeing full). There was no bath although I mentionned it in my reservation, just a shower. But hotel being full, they wouldnt change my room, arguing no other room available.
Then I had a first issue : electricity suddenly went down. I complained and within minutes had another one, with a bath !
But... the conditioner of this room did not work. When I noticed the temperature started to reach 23C in the room I asked the overworked technical staff to help but they could not change anything. As I started to loose my patience they understood my situation and proposed me a superior room which I accepted. All in it was the best room of all, although with a shower.
After all a good stay, but I hope that after the first "installation" period is over this hotel will work better.

Enschede, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 May 2014

nice new hotel, close to old centre. brand new rooms and interior. very spacious rooms. Mediocre breakfast. Expensive drinks, but nice bar. upon entering my new room, i saw that the toilet had been used and not cleaned, not even flushed. Very nasty. Upon making a photo and informing the staff, I was not offered a drink at the bar while waiting for the cleaning. very careless.....

Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed one night only. Nice hotel, clean and lovely in good location. We got there at 16:00 and checked in. I was having a shower and my girlfriend was just resting on the bed. Someone opened the door. Then when opened without warning and a hand stole the key card from the card slot! The person then shut the door and scooted off. My girlfriend, half naked, jumped off the bed to chase the idiot person down the corridor. The person then simply handed the card back and said sorry in Latvian and ran off. We complained to the hotel management who it was ONE OF THEIR STAFF!!!! The hygiene manager then promptly marched the idiot maid back to the room to apologise.
The excuse given by the hotel manager was that the maid had forgotten her spare key. However, if that was the case she would have gone to reception and asked for another key. That key could only have opened that room anyhow. I believe the truth is that she heard I was having a shower and she took a chance to steal the key and that by the time I had realised what had happened, because the lights went out, she would have been able to hand the key to another person to come and burgle the room later when we were out in the town for dinner. She hadn't thought that my girlfriend would jump up and chase her. This is a serious security breach for guests and the cleaning staff are clearly not trustworthy and honest.. Maybe even more of the staff are in on it? Who knows! The shame of it is that the hotel itself is really lovely and I suspect the majority of staff are good as we found in the restaurant and reception.
Another negative, although minor was that the air con was weak, during hot weather.
Positives were, easy low cost on site parking, clean and spacious, great breakfast selection and in a good central location.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front tend to be more shady..useful in summer when temps get to 32C
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Davide L
MercureRigaCentre, General Manager at Mercure Riga Centre, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Davide L,

Thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the shock you experienced during the incident with our staff member.

It is of utmost importance to us to ensure our guests feel safe and we certainly failed to meet our own internal policies and procedures, I have taken serious steps to ensure this can never happen again. We appreciate your feedback and if you would like to get in contact with me directly I would be happy to speak with you about this matter.aigars.gerhards@accor.com

Aigars Gerhards

Helsinki
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was there a week after the hotel started activities. I felt I was there before they should have started operating. Place is nice but lack some critical things (water takes minutes before comes hot, wifi signal very weak in certain areas,...). Those are problems that hopefully can be fixed. Worst of all (and that I will never accept) was the last night when staying in my room after 11pm (already in bed) somebody just opened the door and came inside the room (!!??). He just saw I was inside, said sorry and left. Felt very unsecured staying in a place where people (dont know who) can just enter in my room in the night without even knocking the door (I asked an explanation to reception but they did not know the reason). I travel often to Riga. First and I am afraid last time in this place.

3 Thank Armando_74a
MercureRigaCentre, General Manager at Mercure Riga Centre, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Armando_73`s,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments after your stay with us here in Mercure Riga Centre.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with several aspects of your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the mistaken late night entry of your room. This was our staff member with incorrect information.
We appreciate your comments and rest assured we will continue to improve our service.
If you would like to get in contact with me directly I would be happy to speak with you about these matters. aigars.gerhards@accor.com

Aigars Gerhards