“Best budget deal”

Mercure Riga Centre
Ranked #22 of 110 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 9 June 2014

For the money this is the best deal we found. Good location, free breakfast with a wide selection, clean, safe...what more could you ask for. Read a couple of negative reviews on here, but we only had a positive experience :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 June 2014

One night stay - even though the hotel is new, taxi found it easy enough and the hotel is well located for where I needed to be. Check in very pleasant. Free Wi-Fi password given for public area and informed room Wi-Fi password is on the tv instructions/guide. Asked if I wanted to become a member of the rewards scheme.

Allocated a 2nd floor room, but unfortunately, it had remnants of previous occupiers stay. Went back to reception, who immediately apologised and upgraded to the 'Privilege' room.

Room was much larger, and as you expect from a new hotel, virtually spotless. Interactive TV, wifi instructions easy to find, however, thought 12/13 channels were not great.

Double sinks in the washroom, with a range of added requirements, such as shaver, dental kit, etc. Comfy double bed. Good speed on Wi-Fi connectivity. Room overlooked the front of the hotel and large windows over the left side.

Breakfast was included, and it was totally fine and fit for purpose.

Didn't try the spa/gym, but the staff is friendly as you walk around the hotel. Space on verandah to dine/drink outside.

Would gladly stay here again.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Good location about 10-15 minutes easy walk from the old town of Riga. Parking facilities are fine, and quite good value (10 EUR per night), considering it is so close to the main city sites. We stayed for 2 nights during the week and thought the overall hotel service was very efficient. Check in and out was very easy, and the front desk staff were polite and friendly.

The room was brand new, with comfy beds, a decent shower, a safe, and very fast (free) wifi (as well as all the other things you can expect from a hotel of this calibre).

Breakfast was quite substantial with a lot of variety, and the staff were friendly and helpful.

Overall, this hotel is very good value considering its location and general service. It is typical of the Accor hotel chain - if you're looking for a functional hotel for business or leisure then you can't really go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tommyy_56
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for three nights. Mostly flawless experience: hotel was easy to find, no problems at check-in and very kind and efficient staff on check-out. Perfectly located: next to railway station, large ORIGO mall, 15-20 minuts of walk Old Riga, parks etc.
Big plus: they correctly handled blocking and unblocking deposits on my credit card! A big plus to hotel staff!

Room was very spacious, i really appreciated silent air-conditioning, slippers, tea-coffee making facilities, bathroom amenities and dental kit (on request), nice small "wellness area" in the basement. Breakfasts were acceptable for such duration of stay.

Not appreciated: no free drink water on arrival (at least small bottle, cmon) and large window in the bath room, which theoretically allowed all the people from highest floors of opposite building to "enjoy" viewing me naked during shower. Would be good to make that window completely mat or mirrow or provide curtains - whatever.

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms, as they have windows in bath.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I had a short stay in late May 2014 at this hotel and had quite a few issues with the room(s) I was given.
Before everything I have to say the hotel is conveniently located, though not directly on Elizabeth Iela (though not far), in a district now under reconstruction, close to the Central Station.
Style of the hotel mixes both the old district (art nouveau) style, with a more modern one.
There is a small (paying) parking in front of the hotel, otherwise few options of parking in the neighbourhood.
Wifi is free and effective.
Staff is young, enthusiastic, willing to help and (most of the time) competent.
Breakfast area is clean, food is fine, varied (but music is not, if you are a fan of U2 it's OK though )))
I started my trip within the hotel by a nice but small room (I suppose that since I booked on internet, they gave me what was available then, hotel beeing full). There was no bath although I mentionned it in my reservation, just a shower. But hotel being full, they wouldnt change my room, arguing no other room available.
Then I had a first issue : electricity suddenly went down. I complained and within minutes had another one, with a bath !
But... the conditioner of this room did not work. When I noticed the temperature started to reach 23C in the room I asked the overworked technical staff to help but they could not change anything. As I started to loose my patience they understood my situation and proposed me a superior room which I accepted. All in it was the best room of all, although with a shower.
After all a good stay, but I hope that after the first "installation" period is over this hotel will work better.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

nice new hotel, close to old centre. brand new rooms and interior. very spacious rooms. Mediocre breakfast. Expensive drinks, but nice bar. upon entering my new room, i saw that the toilet had been used and not cleaned, not even flushed. Very nasty. Upon making a photo and informing the staff, I was not offered a drink at the bar while waiting for the cleaning. very careless.....

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed one night only. Nice hotel, clean and lovely in good location. We got there at 16:00 and checked in. I was having a shower and my girlfriend was just resting on the bed. Someone opened the door. Then when opened without warning and a hand stole the key card from the card slot! The person then shut the door and scooted off. My girlfriend, half naked, jumped off the bed to chase the idiot person down the corridor. The person then simply handed the card back and said sorry in Latvian and ran off. We complained to the hotel management who it was ONE OF THEIR STAFF!!!! The hygiene manager then promptly marched the idiot maid back to the room to apologise.
The excuse given by the hotel manager was that the maid had forgotten her spare key. However, if that was the case she would have gone to reception and asked for another key. That key could only have opened that room anyhow. I believe the truth is that she heard I was having a shower and she took a chance to steal the key and that by the time I had realised what had happened, because the lights went out, she would have been able to hand the key to another person to come and burgle the room later when we were out in the town for dinner. She hadn't thought that my girlfriend would jump up and chase her. This is a serious security breach for guests and the cleaning staff are clearly not trustworthy and honest.. Maybe even more of the staff are in on it? Who knows! The shame of it is that the hotel itself is really lovely and I suspect the majority of staff are good as we found in the restaurant and reception.
Another negative, although minor was that the air con was weak, during hot weather.
Positives were, easy low cost on site parking, clean and spacious, great breakfast selection and in a good central location.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front tend to be more shady..useful in summer when temps get to 32C
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Davide L
MercureRigaCentre, General Manager at Mercure Riga Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Davide L,

Thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the shock you experienced during the incident with our staff member.

It is of utmost importance to us to ensure our guests feel safe and we certainly failed to meet our own internal policies and procedures, I have taken serious steps to ensure this can never happen again. We appreciate your feedback and if you would like to get in contact with me directly I would be happy to speak with you about this matter.aigars.gerhards@accor.com

Aigars Gerhards