“Great location but not 4 star”

Hotel Garden Palace
Ranked #59 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Derry, United Kingdom
“Great location but not 4 star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel is rated 4 star but really it is a 2 or 3 star by our UK standards. It is however in a perfect location right in the heart of the Old Town and was very cheap (booked via ebookers) . Staff were friendly and very helpful. Rooms were basic and had a fridge with mini bar but no kettle. Wifi is available for only 4 euro for a week and that does for as many devices as you want. Breakfast was average cereals, fruit ,cold meats cheeses, picked fish, egg bacon etc. The problem was that the hot food was always cold and a bit congealed. Pancakes with maple syrup were nice. Croissants and toast also available . Not the tastiest of breakfasts but perfectly adequate. We were on the 5th floor and it was nice and quiet, satellite Tv and hairdryer in room. .It was very snowy and cold when we were there but the rooms were always nice and warm .We would return just for the perfect location .Bus stop for airport bus is 1 min from hotel runs every 12 mins and cost about 1.40 euro each way.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holidayseeker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I'm giving this a very good rating based on the wonderful service from the staff.

My room, maybe just because it was a special offer, was pretty mundane. If paid full price I'd have been unhappy with it. Very small. But it was a bargain offer, so perhaps the full price rooms are much better and they obviously use the rubbish ones for offers, business sense and all that. Furniture was dated but not in a nice antique sort of way, more in a way of needs replacing. Bathroom was okay; everything worked.

However. I was in Riga overnight on a 16 hour connection break, so naturally had to fill the time getting hammered taking advantage of the city's fantastic nightlife.
I spent 2 hours chatting to the hotel barman in an empty hotel bar (Tuesday night in March) and he made some recommendations... and had a drink with me too. Good lad. Great ambassador for the hotel. Good service indeed. He even bought me a beer!
Then I don't remember anything past 2am. There were some strange photos of piles of snow on my camera timed at 5am though, not a great sign.

Therefore, I overslept my check out time by 2 hours.
I was woken by a call from the reception, who after not calling for the initial 2 hours past the check out time (which was great) were very kind about it all. It was a very pleasant young lady indeed, confirming what I'd heard about Latvian women being famous for their beauty and their amiable nature. She spoke to me with respect and like a decent human being, despite the fact I had red eyes, was foreign, stunk of booze, was 2 hours late, was half asleep and obviously still extremely drunk. Not to mention that I then had several more hours to kill. Though I'm sure, being a gentleman, even in this state I was polite enough. But still, horrifying for her no doubt. Very professional. I can't commend enough.

The hotel then called a member of staff to wheel my luggage to a storage room as I was incapable (I woke up with very bad bruising, due to falling around the night before no doubt) of doing this myself. So I had 2 hours to sober up in the cold before going to the airport (they really could have just kicked me out luggage and all and I wouldn't have complained).

The actual hotel itself is nice, just my room was a bit crappy. But the service was absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: Don't be a cheapskate and expect a nice room.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RollingBrianJones
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

We spent 2 night in Garden Palace and we are happy that we did so :)
Very pleasant stay. Excellent service, great personnel (very helpful, smiley, kind and good)
Good food!
Rooms are basic rooms, but quiet and clean. We had 2 rooms next to each other.
Hotel location is excellent.

I sent email to hotel before our trip and it was quickly answered.
Highly recommended Hotel!! And we are going to repeat! :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We visited Riga for a short 4 day break and it had snowed the day before we arrived. The paths to the hotel and its surrounding areas were cleared making it safe, easy and all round more beautiful. The hotel staff are very friendly and informative, helping at all hours of the day! Rooms are nice, comfortable and equipped with everything you might need for a short 4 day visit. The hotel is also in an excellent location just a 1 minute walk from St Peters church and the house of blackheads, and with the tourbus company operating from across the street sightseeing is made incredibly easy!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Howden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Easily accessed from the airport and within walking distance of the bus station and railway station.
On the river side of the old town with immediate access to the historic buildings, sites, shops, bars and restaurants but on a quiet bit of street. Staff attentive, welcoming and pleasant. Comfortable, clean and warm rooms in good condition with nice bathrooms but somewhat dated. The rest of the hotel interior was excellent and gave the feel of being in a much more expensive traditional hotel. Breakfast was brilliant with a good range of items that should ensure everyone gets what they like. We did not try the restaurant for dinner. Bar a bit expensive compared to having a beer elsewhere.
We would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Our front room had nice views. Choose a lower floor room an you will not be tempted to use the lift...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Graham T
uk kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Great location for the Old town and Public transport with a bus and tram stop very close with the Bus nos 22 going direct to airport for approx (65p in uk Sterling Dec 13) about a 4 min walk to Hotel,Purchase tickets before boarding bus from kiosks and machines as it is cheaper.The rooms are dark and the beds we found quite hard .but do have a mini bar and older style flat screen tv with only 2 English channels which is fine for a short break.No kettle in the room but a supermarket is close in the Galleria (5 Mins) The staff were helpful but can come across stern .We had the mini bar emptied as we did not want the hassle.Plenty of places to eat very close and the tourist office is a 3 minute walk in the main square.The decor is varied the rooms could do with a picture or too and the furniture a very ecletic mixture.Breakfast was varied and tasty.It was cold and snowy when we visted but the rooms had air conditioning for the summer .Overal we would book here again but please remember if you are from the UK that 4 star is more like 3 star in mainland Europe.The Public transport is excellent and cheap ...make sure you buy and valdate tickets as we saw plenty of plain clothes ticket inspectors.

Room Tip: The Road facing roads could be noisy
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank daytriplad
Vilnius
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Positive sides of the hotel:
- it is situated in the excelent place of Riga. It is one minute walk to Town Hall Square and St. Peters Church. Also it is easy walking distance from the coach station, so you don't need to use public transport. The river is near, so there are rooms with river view;
- the hotel is very good looking from the outside and inside. Interior ir fantastic. It looks totally the same as in the hotels pictures. You feel very cozy inside. Every corridor on each floor looks differently, decorated with flowers or other interior things. There is a beautiful inside yard in this hotel. When it is a warm season, you can have breakfast in it;
- we ordered standart room and expected it to be very simple. So we had positive surprise, that we've got the room with big terrace ( we could see St. Peters church from it). The room looked really good. I liked the bathroom, because it was quite big for a standart room and was decorated in romantic style;
- the personnel of the hotel are very professional. I had few questions when ordering the room, so we had a conversation by emails with reception staff. They speak english very fluently, also they speak russian. Not only reception personnel, but also all other personnel are extremely polite, smiling, helpful. I think it is very important for a hotels reputation to have such professional personnel!;
- cleaning was also good, we did not have any complaints;
- brakfast was good, i did not miss any food i wanted .
- it was very warm in the whole hotel. The room also had strong heating.
- we've got a discount for accommodation, so the price for a 4star hotel was fantastic ( i guess it's because of the low season).
Negative sides:
- wi-fi is not free. It is quite strange theese days, that you have to pay for wi-fi ( especially in a 4star hotel). But we mentioned, that there are lot of places in Riga , where there is no wi-fi at all, or it is not for free...We are from Lithuania ( it is also the Baltic country and we are neighbours with Latvia, but free wi-fi in our country is more than normal and it is in every market centre, most of the restaurants and hotels);
- i have said, that there was enough of food for me at brakfast, but my boyfriend sad he wanted more desserts to choose, for example muffins, cakes..Also there was only black coffee or coffee with milk, so no latte or cappuccino. Juice is also not natural;
- there were only 5 or 6 six tv channels, although on their hotel information list there is written, that they have more channels. We missed bbc, cnn, travel channel.. Because it was written in their list, that theese channels must be in their tv..So there were all channels in latvian language, and few in russian. Well, we know russian language very well, so at least something was able to be watched ( because we had one rainy day, so stayed in the room, so we were wathing tv:)). Those, who don't speak latvian or russian, will have nothing to watch.

Room Tip: We had room 514, it has a terrace. Rooms, facing the street are more noisy, but they have a view to...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple