“Great location shame about the staff”

Hotel Garden Palace
Ranked #66 of 110 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I came for a long weekend as was running the Nordea Riga Marathon. Having caught an early flight I was told my room was not ready. Staff were not welcoming and decided to go to the Marathon Exhibition so my room would be ready on return . Had to fill in a form and they requested my credit card details. I know some modern hotels swipe this for extras and was not happy with this and determined not to use the mini bar especially with water at 5 euros a bottle when I found a local supermarket for things. Also this was marathon weekend, the staff were unaware of this. I spoke to other participants who stayed in other hotels who were provided breakfasts.
Some of the staff also appear not to realize that the hotel business is about customer services. Riga is a lovely city but am sure I can find a hotel in this price range which offers a lot better value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank wexter98
There are newer reviews for Hotel Garden Palace

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I spent 2 nights in this hotel and I enjoy very much the excellent position, the kind staff and the good breakfast of this charming hotel. Additionally, the historical furniture helps creating a romantic atmosphere. I recommend to everyone to book this hotel during the visit of Riga!

Sabrina from Rome

Room Tip: Rooms are not very big, but with everything you need for a pleasant stay.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014

You can't get a better location. Very central in the old town. Walking distance to all touristic places. Lobby looks very nice. Rooms are okay, size is fine but they are a bit run down. Beds are hard and pillows are very small which makes the sleeping experience not that pleasant. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ScanLondon
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed there several in 2012 and 2013. It's my prefered hotel in Riga. Hotel is located right in the old town, perfect to visit the city and it's very quiet unlike many other hotels in this area. The stardard room are spacious enough and i stayed once in a suite (thanks for the upgrade!) that was stunning. The friendly and helpfull staff will do everything to satisfy your need. I've never been disapointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel is rated 4 star but really it is a 2 or 3 star by our UK standards. It is however in a perfect location right in the heart of the Old Town and was very cheap (booked via ebookers) . Staff were friendly and very helpful. Rooms were basic and had a fridge with mini bar but no kettle. Wifi is available for only 4 euro for a week and that does for as many devices as you want. Breakfast was average cereals, fruit ,cold meats cheeses, picked fish, egg bacon etc. The problem was that the hot food was always cold and a bit congealed. Pancakes with maple syrup were nice. Croissants and toast also available . Not the tastiest of breakfasts but perfectly adequate. We were on the 5th floor and it was nice and quiet, satellite Tv and hairdryer in room. .It was very snowy and cold when we were there but the rooms were always nice and warm .We would return just for the perfect location .Bus stop for airport bus is 1 min from hotel runs every 12 mins and cost about 1.40 euro each way.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidayseeker
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I'm giving this a very good rating based on the wonderful service from the staff.

My room, maybe just because it was a special offer, was pretty mundane. If paid full price I'd have been unhappy with it. Very small. But it was a bargain offer, so perhaps the full price rooms are much better and they obviously use the rubbish ones for offers, business sense and all that. Furniture was dated but not in a nice antique sort of way, more in a way of needs replacing. Bathroom was okay; everything worked.

However. I was in Riga overnight on a 16 hour connection break, so naturally had to fill the time getting hammered taking advantage of the city's fantastic nightlife.
I spent 2 hours chatting to the hotel barman in an empty hotel bar (Tuesday night in March) and he made some recommendations... and had a drink with me too. Good lad. Great ambassador for the hotel. Good service indeed. He even bought me a beer!
Then I don't remember anything past 2am. There were some strange photos of piles of snow on my camera timed at 5am though, not a great sign.

Therefore, I overslept my check out time by 2 hours.
I was woken by a call from the reception, who after not calling for the initial 2 hours past the check out time (which was great) were very kind about it all. It was a very pleasant young lady indeed, confirming what I'd heard about Latvian women being famous for their beauty and their amiable nature. She spoke to me with respect and like a decent human being, despite the fact I had red eyes, was foreign, stunk of booze, was 2 hours late, was half asleep and obviously still extremely drunk. Not to mention that I then had several more hours to kill. Though I'm sure, being a gentleman, even in this state I was polite enough. But still, horrifying for her no doubt. Very professional. I can't commend enough.

The hotel then called a member of staff to wheel my luggage to a storage room as I was incapable (I woke up with very bad bruising, due to falling around the night before no doubt) of doing this myself. So I had 2 hours to sober up in the cold before going to the airport (they really could have just kicked me out luggage and all and I wouldn't have complained).

The actual hotel itself is nice, just my room was a bit crappy. But the service was absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: Don't be a cheapskate and expect a nice room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank RollingBrianJones
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We spent 2 night in Garden Palace and we are happy that we did so :)
Very pleasant stay. Excellent service, great personnel (very helpful, smiley, kind and good)
Good food!
Rooms are basic rooms, but quiet and clean. We had 2 rooms next to each other.
Hotel location is excellent.

I sent email to hotel before our trip and it was quickly answered.
Highly recommended Hotel!! And we are going to repeat! :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family