“Great value and comfort”
Review of Hanza Hotel

Hanza Hotel
Ranked #37 of 112 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Our room was modern, large and clean. Breakfast was good. All in all, great value for money. The only thing to complain about was the lack of curtains. The stylish wooden shutters block only some of the light coming from the windows. For someone who needs darkness to sleep well this will be a major issue.

The hotel is within reasonable walking distance from the Central Market and airport bus stop: took us less than 10 minutes to walk there. For the price and quality, I'd definitely be ready to stay at Hansa again, even though it is a short walk away from the heart of the tourist area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank xTravellerx

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Staff were amazing, food amazing, cleanliness amazing. Excellent value more money cannot pick a fault. Had a fabulous stay

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura H
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The rooms were spacious with large bathrooms, very warm - breakfast was excellent with a wide variety and choice - cozy evenings in the bar with good service. The Hotel was within easy walking distance of centre, shops, market and old town. The Hotel made a great base for exploring Riga - a great time had by all !

Room Tip: Hotel in quiet area with upgrades if required
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed here for work purposes in May. The reception staff were friendly and check in, ordering taxis, and getting directions was all efficiently handled. The room was clean and basic, and the bathroom was ok too. In this sense, it was good value for money. There were some negative points though.

The rooms vary in terms of privacy. My colleague was in a room facing a different direction from me, so he had normal views of the street. I was in a room with two side windows which overlooked a guest room on either side. These windows were near my bed. So, to ensure any sort of privacy, I had to keep the shutters closed all the time. This made the room a bit dark, but it was better than seeing neighbouring guests less than a few feet away in both directions.

The sound proofing was also quite poor. This is not a problem if the neighbouring guests are quiet and most nights were ok - but the last two nights I was able to hear neighbours snoring, which was quite irritating. The breakfast was a bit of a free for all, with not much space and everyone trying to reach the buffet at the same time. There was no coffee on our first morning, and when we went outside with our food (no seats were available indoors), the chairs outside were all chained together and we were unable to sit down to have our meal.

As others have mentioned, the location is a bit dodgy. It is very close to the pretty old town centre – only 10 minutes on foot. However, to get there you need to pass a street market and walk through a few underground tunnels and a dark footpath under a railway bridge. I would not have liked to walk here alone, and luckily I didn’t have to as I was with my colleague all the time. However, my colleague’s wife had to walk to town on her own as she left the hotel later than us every morning. She had an unpleasant experience with a creepy drunk and thereafter was a bit nervous of using these tunnels. I would not recommend that lone female travellers stay here, unless you use a taxi to and from the town centre.

I stayed here as it was a budget hotel and I was on a work budget. On holiday though, I would rather pay more and be in a quieter hotel in an area where I felt safer.

Room Tip: Try to get a room which faces the street rather than other guest rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank JellyBaby24
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed 3 nights in June 2011. We booked for double room but when arrive we realize that double room very small for stay 3 night. We upgrade to junior suite (15 euro extra per night)

After upgrade everything is Ok for us. Suite is very large and comfortable. But double room not good. (I don't know all rooms same or not, but I asked to staff for another larger double room but They said that; not available !)

We arrived at night hours to hotel and we want to go Old Town by walk. We felt unsafe when going to Old Town. You must across the open market. At night this region is very dark and like unsafe.

When day time we saw that this area not unsafe like felt at first night. We use this this route to return hotel every night but we not feel unsafe like first night. But you must cross this area or you must take a taxi.

Hotel restaurant is very good. I have been in Chile and Argentina but I eat most delicious steak in Hanza Restaurant.

Overall we can recommend this hotel. If we go again definitely we will stay again.

Last thing: we recommend upper floor because of restaurant at the front of hotel every time busy and crowded.

Room Tip: If possible junior suite and upper floor for silence...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank enginersoz
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Good service, breakfast included good food, clean room, warm and pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Lilia Y
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed here in October 2011 for a 3 day city break. All I can say is that I was absolutely delighted with the hotel and feel that for the seriously low price we got an amazing bargain. As a young couple (25-32) we go to cities not to spend too much time in hotels so for us it's really just a place to stay. We therefore went for the Hanza due to the cost and reasonably central location. Previous reviews also seemed positive. For the cost we really were expecting very basic, all we really hope for is that a hotel is safe and clean. The Hanza was way above expectations. The room, although quite small was perfectly adequate, cleaned daily, lovely bathroom, underfloor heating, good shower, clean towels daily if required. The staff at reception were helpful and spoke good English. The breakfast, a buffet, was excellent with a wide range of hot and cold food, juices, teas and coffees. Only minor criticism of the room was we had quite noisy neighbours, however this cannot be blamed on the hotel. Possibly the doors are not the best soundproofed thats all.

From previous reviews our one reservation of the hotel was the location which is reportedly not the best, so lets address this. The hotel is in the Moscow District of the city. Not the nicest part of Riga, clearly more run down that the centre itself however I would not let this put you off. Having lived in several cities in the UK it is no where near as bad as parts of cities I have been to considering how close it is to city centre. I would not say the area is a place to go for night time walks exactly, but there would be no real reason to do so if you are there to see the city centre. We walked back to our hotel on two nights (about 10-15 mins from old town centre) and got a taxi back another night which only cost about 5lats from centre. As part of our trip we went on the "Yellow briefcase free city tour" - well worth it by the way!! As part of this trip we walked all around the Moscow District and actually passed our hotel. If the place was that bad I doubt they would be taking groups of tourists tlo the area every day!!

To conclude - great hotel for the price, area not too bad but just use your common sense!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple