“Highly recommended”
Review of Hanza Hotel

Hanza Hotel
Ranked #37 of 111 Hotels in Riga
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I needed to be close to the centre of Riga and the hotel is only minutes by foot from the main parts of the city. I arrived late morning and Reception checked my room was ready so I was able to take my luggage up to the 5th floor before I went off to a meeting. The Reception team were superb at all times, friendly and helpful.

My room was clean, and a nice surprise: a complimentary bar of my favourite chocolate (Laima of course). A pity no tea/coffe making facilities and the wifi service seemed a bit intermittent (but still a bonus I am grateful for). I did wonder how well the shutters at the windows would perform at other times of the year when the daylight was longer. They worked ok in winter but not close fitting.

Breakdast was generally good though some days the "hot" food could have been much warmer. Some mornings large numbers of guests arrived together and the place got a bit crowded. I enjoyed eating in Hnaza Pub a few times and really enjoyed the food (the breast of duck was the best I have tasted).

The hotel has been imaginatively adapted from an old building and noise does carry (especially the shower in the next room) but there is not a lot that can be done about guests who forget others are staying in the same building. The worst culprits arrived on the 5th flor two nights running with loud talking at 2:30am.

Having said all that I enjoyed my stay and hope to use Hanza Hotel many more times.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank andyclips

Reviewed 8 March 2011

I was picked up at the airport by the hotel's Airport Transfer service, and was let into my room right away, even if it was 11 a.m. in the morning. The room was very large, as was the bathroom. The hotel was very quiet and there was never any street or hallway noise to disturb my sleep.

The restaurant staff was very friendly and attentive. True professionals.

My only problem, if I must mention something, was that the breakfast room was too small to situate everyone on one of the mornings, but this was only the case once.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel warm and comfortable. Basic Buffet breakfast but served till noon at weekends. Location very good in central Market area and 10min walk 2 old town where main attractions are. Beautiful restoration of old Riga building with modern interior. Great value through booking.com almost half price!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I was there for a short visit. I didn't like because of noise and location. come one if i don't like a hotel how can fill it bby 200 characters. That's all.I was there for a short visit. I didn't like because of noise and location. come one if i don't like a hotel how can fill it bby 200 characters. That's all.I was there for a short visit. I didn't like because of noise and location. come one if i don't like a hotel how can fill it bby 200 characters. That's all.I was there for a short visit. I didn't like because of noise and location. come one if i don't like a hotel how can fill it bby 200 characters. That's all

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Staff was very friendly from arrival until leaving. They helped us with every question we had.
Room was clean and spacious (dbl bed). Hotel is located in the area where is church and one embassy (Belarussia?) so it's quiet and streets are quite clean. It takes about 15 minutes to walk old town from hotel. Breakfast was good and hotel's restaurant was nicely decorated (seafaring theme).

Only minus comes from poorly sound isolated door. When drunken hotel customers came back from the bars we woke up to noise coming from corridor.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N0rdman
Reviewed 1 January 2011

Everything PERFECT!
I liked all- breakfast, location, staff, room, free wi fi!
Strongly recommend

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Booomby
Reviewed 25 December 2010

The Hanza hotel is about 10/15 minutes walk from the city centre - only 5 minutes from the train station in a quiet street next to a lovely church. There are some beautiful wooden buildings on the street too and buses to Salaspils stop just down the street. From our top floor room we had a fabulous view of the church - the only slight downside to this was when it was lit up at night it was slightly light in the room while sleeping. this would only bother you if you needed complete darkness to sleep, as there was only a blind rather than curtains. The bathroom had a bath with shower - although there was no shower curtain so the water did go on the floor. Usually we have issues with showers because we are both very tall but this one was great, the bathroom was huge and very modern. The beds were 2 singles together as in most other European locations and very comfortable. There was also a spacious wardrobe, table, TV etc. The room was very spacious and modern, the hotel staff were very friendly and the restaurant food was delicious and surprisingly good value. We ate a full dinner in the restaurant with big beers. There were also offers that came with the room for the restuarant as well. Breakfast was good there was a wide range of choice of hot sausages and egg plus bread and meats and cheese, a typical European buffet. This hotel would suit couples or families who want to get a good night's sleep but don't want traffic noise or crazy drunks keeping them awake. There was free internet on a PC in the lobby too.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple