“Absolutely appaling! (READ BEFORE GOING)”
Review of Hotel Avalon

Hotel Avalon
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Riga
Helsinki, Finland
“Absolutely appaling! (READ BEFORE GOING)”
Reviewed 28 July 2008

I am not going to write a review about what the hotel looked on the surface, since some things happened that make this hotel a place to avoid to the bitter end.

After going outside to visit beautiful sights that Riga has to offer, during the arrival back to the hotel one of the members of the group noticed that her key doesn't fit the key hole. After receiving a key and going back to the room, she noticed that all her possessions (including 200 euros from the safe!) were MISSING. The hotel staff said something about a double-booking, and they had WENT to the room and removed everything away from there and put it in a pile to another room!

This only should've been a crime, but in addition, the 200 euros that were in the safe were stolen! From the safe! The hotel staff REFUSED to take responsibility for money disappearing from the safe!! Currently, this matter has been made as a complaint to the embassy of Finland and Estonia and has now been reported for prosecution to the government district attorney, who was pleased to get a good case and great amount of evidence so this way of dealing with customers can finally be abolished from the otherwise great country of Latvia.

After the prosecution, hotel would've actually agreed to compensate, but it is REALLY too late now.

Do NOT book from this hotel. Even the fact that they mess with the personal possession without asking anything, is disgusting.

Stayed July 2008
8 Thank KimmoF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2008

We had a few problems with booking the hotel but the hotel recitfied the problem, excellent customer service was received.

On arrival, from the bus station (right across the road!) we were impressed with the structure of the building...even if it does seem to look a little out of place on the edge of the old town!

Room was clean and tidy, as well as modern. Great location for exploring the old town. Previous review states the taxi the hotel booked them was a rip off. We ordered one on checking out to take us to the airport, it came to around £10. We thought this was actually a decent charge considering the distance we travelled to the airport. May be wrong in that thought but we didnt feel ripped off!

• Liked — Modern furnishings
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank mif82
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Avalon at January. The hotel is situated at a perfect placement. There are railway and bus station near the hotel, so you can reach Jurmala for example (by train). Our room was very convenient and had modern furniture.There were no problems with bathroom.But I was disappointed by hotel restaurant, when someday I went down downstairs for lunch I was said that the meal was finished. I was greatly surprised by this answer. So I went to the nearest restaurant named Pomodoro.

• Liked — Location, Price,
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
Haugesund, Norway
Reviewed 24 February 2008

I booked this hotel trough Booking.com.
And stayed there from 9-11 of february.
Good placement of the hotel, cleanliness, quality of the rooms and size is great!

The service could be much better, the taxi they ordered for me ripped me off. I have been writing to the hotel in email about it and asked if it is possible to give this taxis name to the police, and they they do not answer me!!
Do not let the hotel order taxi for YoU!!!!!! The taxi was 15 minutes to late, and charged more than double the standard rate to the airport if you use an 8001313 taxi! And even if you had coosed an taxi directly from the streets You would have paid 8,- euro less or cheaper for the taxi! the taxi number was TX-6038 a grey maxitaxi do avoid this taxi!!!!

• Liked — rooms, cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — Service for taxi, and answering on my complain about the taxi.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank svharkes
cork,ireland
Reviewed 4 February 2008

we stayed at the Avalon hotel for 3 nights and have nothing but praise for it, it is in a perfect location just on the edge of the old town great rooms good breakfast and friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank debar56
Oulu, Finland
Reviewed 20 November 2007

I found the hotel staff friendly, the room nice and the location excellent. My showerhead experience was similar to previous reviewers.

I found the breakfast better than some others have done: there was everything we needed for breakfast, coffee was reasonably good and there was enough fresh fruit. However, I'd encourage them to add signs by each dish on the content.

The next time in Riga, I'll likely stay at Avalon again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Showerhead
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarkkuOulu
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 October 2007

On one of my frequent visits to Riga I decided to try out the new an modern Avalon Hotel at the edge of the Old Town, right across the Train Station and Central Market. From the outside, the building itself is cold and uninviting, somehow not fitting into the silhouette of the Old Town.
Location is as good as any Old Town Hotel, everything is just steps away (I can highly recommend the Restaurant Pomodoro just around the corner from the hotel - THE best pizzas on the globe!). The lobby is nice and modern, but also rather cold. A nice touch is the 'outside' elevator with nice views over the atrium lobby.
I took my parents along for this 2-night trip, so we booked 2 suites. Upon arrival at round 2 pm on the first day we where told that our suites would not be ready today, since a group of tourists from Iceland had virtually 'destroyed' the rooms the previous night. We where given 'Junior Suites' instead (which turned out to be regular rooms) for the first night with the promise that our suites would be ready the next day at 2 pm latest. We went back to reception the next at 3 pm and guess what...the suites would be ready between 4 and 5 pm. So we went for a short nap before hitting the town again and low and behold, the suites where ready at 4 pm.
The suites where nice and spacious but they had a few flaws (as did the regular rooms), like showerheads that are too heavy for the brackets holding them up, missing lightbulbs, etc. However, we didn't notice any major damage in the suites, like we where told at the beginning, so I guess they where just oversold (I work in the tourism industry, so I know how 'these things work'). The breakfast buffet was just about the worst I every had in any hotel worldwide and not even worthy of 2 star hostel (ICEcold food, minimal selection, awful coffee), 'fogget about it'...
And BTW, ask for rooms in the back, because the front of the hotel is quite noisy (trams, traffic, etc.)
Want to know more about Riga? Don't hesitate to contact me...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family