“Overpriced”

Price range: US$35 - US$117
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Since restaurant Vincents was founded in 1994, it has grown to become one of the premier gourmet establishments in Eastern Europe. Its reputation has spread far beyond Latvia's borders, with Prince Charles, Elton John, the Emperor of Japan and Heston Bluhmenthal among a very long list of prominent personalities and famous gourmands who have savoured the restaurant's haute cuisine.
New York City, New York
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

The idea of using organic food from local suppliers and slow cooking sounds good and I believe that all the food we got last week in this restaurant, that is ranked #1 in Latvia by most media, was organic. That organic matter could be a main possible reason for comparatively very, very high prices we paid for our meals, because the food was rather tasteless, too dietary, as my wife said. I must confess, that I prefer food with rich bold taste, like of French cuisine, therefore my opinion is very personal, and in my opinion the meals, fish and chicken, just were not tasty.
The restaurant is located in a basement in a very nice neighborhood, however the furniture has signs of wear.
The first chef's compliment was a glass with some green stems looking like wildflowers, tangled with several tiny bread sticks of, I believe, organic whole grain. Waitress told us that we could find some edible pieces in that glass, leaving us a little puzzled if we should eat the stems or the sticks.
Yet our waitress was very professional and that was the only good point in our visit. Other waiters also looked very professional, with excellent English.
Another chef's compliment was a gulp of gazpacho with a tiny piece of vegetable, and that piece had a poignantly bitter taste.
Menu by the choice of meals was limited, there were about five main courses, including a EUR140 pressed duck.
When we were leaving the restaurant I asked a lobby attendant something but then his phone started ringing and he stopped talking to me, without any apology, and answered the phone.
My best guess is that the restaurant executes two standards for the guests: a higher one for celebrities, and mediocre one for all others – with the same high prices. Now I have an idea why I was asked to give not only my first name but also my surname (I even spelled it) when I called the restaurant for a reservation.
It was my fifth or sixth visit during the past several years and the restaurant definitely declines in performance.
Pros: Use of organic food from local suppliers, waiting staff service.
Cons: Taste (tastelessness) of meals, exorbitant prices, small menu.
Conclusion: Absolute disappointment. This is definitely not the #1 restaurant in Riga.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Victor T

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
US
“Wonderful meal and experience!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Our original reservation was cancelled by the restaurant perhaps 2 hours in advance - bummer. But we rebooked for the next night and were glad that we did not hold a grudge. The chef visits each table, and apologized to us personally for the delay in our visit. Each dish is served with flourishes and ceremony, including the bread and all the way through the chocolate (the latter comes in a music box; one chooses by the piece), and deserves it. Were were a party of three and shared at least tastes of our dishes; there were no misses. Foie gras ravioli and turbot were especially noteworthy. A little pricey and absolutely worth it. Should we ever return to Riga we will hope to dine again at Vincents.

• Visited August 2014
“Simply the best restaurant in town”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Must visit. Ecprnsive but more than worth it.
Menu changes every month. My favourits are ravioli, steak and chocolate pandora box.

København
“Still the best in Baltics”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Vincents is still the best gourmet restaurant in the Baltics. It is my second time here, and I had expected the menu to have developed a little bit. The amuse bouche was really nice, served by the head chef himself. All the meat cuts are presented on the table and very nicely explained by the waiters. Wine menu is amazing, at least here Vincents has developed quite positively. Still the same entremets, by antifrying.
All in all, Vincents is still the place to go for gourmet dining in the baltics.

• Visited June 2014
Treviso, Italy
“N. 1”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

People say that Vincents is the best Restaurant in Riga, and I agree. This time I had salmon (as compliment of the house); Mottra sturgeon caviar, paired with toasts and butter, and perfectly served; fried zucchini flowers with crab meat filling; cod from Faroe Islands; dessert. All dishes, as usual, were very good and artfully presented; excellent the wines (Champagne Roederer, Chablis). The service is attentive and efficient; the prices are right. Reservations are advised.

• Visited July 2014