“A russian den”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
SWEDEN
“A russian den”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This restaurant seems to cater for russians and tourists only. It does not provide any individual services, was completely empty except for a table of rowdy russians on a thursday night and service was completely indifferent. After having to wait 30 minutes for our orders we went away to the amber tavern and had a lovely meal there.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Rhodesian

• Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
UK
“This place did not meet expectations”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The beer was OK, what we managed to get, although my husband detected a slight lactic taste. He thought the black pudding he had was great. The problems started when I tried to have french fries with my grilled pork, which turned out to be a kebab. A fairly normal accompaniment to the dish. First she tried to persuade me to have a side dish of vegetables, despite the dish coming with more than enough salad already. When I thought I had got it through that I wanted french fries and she had taken the order she offered bread. This is a normal thing to offer after taking the main order and my husband said yes, asking specifically for dark rye. I think she might have noticed that I did not take part in the bread discussion.

Anyway when the meals turn up there are no french fries and when asked where they were I was told she was bringing me my bread. I said, as is true, that I can't eat bread; I spend most of the next day stuck in the bathroom or have to take preventative loperamide.

We gave up on the french fries and cancelled the bread. My husband had a load of potato wedges on his plate which we shared.

But the cardinal sin was that we ordered another beer each when the food arrived. We finished the food, we waited 15 minutes more and she came to clear the plates away. When asked where our beers were she gave us a blank look. We paid the bill, and left.

But this place is a brewery and surely getting the throughput on the beer is important. You get a drink in when ordering, get another in when you serve the food, and another when you clear things away.

Some staff training is deperately needed. We were on the terrace on Tuesday 22 July.

So my meal turns up

• Visited July 2014
Vilnius, Lithuania
“Did not meet expectations”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We dropped in "Alus arsenals" after terrible rain storm cough us in the street. This specific location was selected because of good reviews on TA. Unfortunately, we got to the waiter which was not interested at all to provide a welcoming service, despite the fact that only 3 tables were taken in all restaurant. We just had a beer with little snack and moved on to look for a more friendly face to leave tips for.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank RRika
London, United Kingdom
“Never fails us”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Used to come here each time I was in Riga, these days when i actually live in riga am not intending to give up the habit. Generous plates of quality food, beers and nice non-intrusive service is the key to this place's success. Definitely recommended for food and drink. Quite possibly in winter though the atmosphere in the main hall is not very interesting/romantic, but the quality of food/drink makes up for this, so probably more a recommendation for big do's, not for couples' seeking romance.

• Visited June 2014
Cologne
“Perfect dinner”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

The place has a nice rustic ambience to it. Don't be put of by the entrance when you walk downstairs. We had good staff and good, traditional food. The pace is suited for dinner with friends, family and couples. Just nice to be there and have a relaxed dinner.

Visited May 2014