“DMZ Hallway”

Ranked #22 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Riga
Honolulu, Hawaii
“DMZ Hallway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

There are rooms across the hall. You have to ring the door bell for reception to open the front door if you wanted to use the kitchen or sit on the sofas in at the front desk. Kitchen had a microwave, refrigerator, and a couple of table of twos. The train station was across the busy street as well as the Central Market.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Broadbeach, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Booked on-line for a 5 berth room. We arrived 2 hours early and reception was happy to let us put our luggage in the room while it was finished being clean.
Surprised to be given a room that sleeps 8, so we had plenty of room for my wife and I and 3 active boys aged 13, 10 and 7.
Walking distance to everything and plenty of restaurants and cages close.
Parking (at a cost) only a few minutes away, but can park out the front to load and unload.
Beds a bit uncomfortable, but hey, we're backpackers!!! Kids don't notice these sorts of things - they just love the bunks as you don't get these in hotel rooms.

Room Tip: They like families, so ask for a family room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Sometimes, the devil is in the details with a review.

I arrived at Tiger Hostel at around midnight and rang the bell to get in. No answer. I rang again, still no answer. I gave it a minute or two still nothing. About five minutes later, the girl came back from her smoke/snack break and let me in. Not acceptable as I was peeved and on the verge of leaving to find another place to stay.

After finding my reservation, she took me to my room – in an apartment across the hall from the main reception area and let me in, much to the surprise of the other girl staying in the dorms. The room was spacious and the bunk was comfortable and came with awesome tiger print linens but here is another detail, it had 9 bunks even though I booked a 7 bunk room. Again, not acceptable. There was only one other person in the room during my two nights, so nothing to complain about but if the room had been full, that’s a different story.

There were two bathrooms in this part of the hostel (each with a toilet, sink and shower). Clean, though like the rest of the place could use some patching up and freshening up. There was never a wait to use the bathrooms but there weren’t a lot of other guests around. There was also a kitchen area aka a fridge, a few cups and an electric kettle. Maybe there was a living room and a place to kick back in the main part of the hostel but it felt like one was welcome to come on over to that side.

And now the final detail. The website promises a computer with Internet in each room. There clearly used to be a computer in the dorm room but they took it away. When I asked the staff about use of a computer, I got a shrug and was told I could find an Internet place in the Old Town area.

So that’s three demerits. In addition to those three, I felt like the traditional hostel welcome (like a map and some friendly face) was missing and the staff was just so, so. I spoke Russian with them, not sure what their English is like. The pluses would be location – minutes from the train and bus station as well as the Old Town, comfortable beds and well-priced. And on my last day, they let me keep my key and store my bag in my room, though I can see where some would consider this a minus.

If you’re a traveler without a lot of needs and on a budget, Tiger Hostel is worth considering. If you want to meet other travelers and feel welcome, I would keep looking. Admittedly, I chose this place because I didn't want a party hostel but this place was hostel Siberia.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Izmir, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just between the Old and the New Town, by the Riga canal, within walking distance to almost everything one needs! Airport bus, boat landing, train station, local food market, all within easy reach. Spacious rooms, equipped kitchen, clean showers & toilets - friendly staff. What else would you ask for? Free tea and coffee, too.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Figen D
MAnchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed here in October 2011. The hostel is around 10 minute walk from the main bus station and Old Town. The hostel is very easy to find as its on one of the main roads with a bar below underground.

The reception and hotel is very clean and basic. The staff were very helpfull.

We had a triple room which was very nice and very clean. The beds were slightly uncomfortable but what do you expect for £8 each per night. The shared bathroom was clean and was also very nice. The computer in the room had free internet but was very very slow and took ages to load.

Overall I would say 4 out of 5 and we would definatly stay here again

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Astana, Kazakhstan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I was staying at the Tiger hostel for 3 weeks. For that period it became as home for me. :) Thank you very much to everyone who works there! The conditions are really good for so perfect price. I had everything clean and fresh.Hostel's staff is very friendly and nice!
Hope to go there again in one day!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

All the design corresponds to the name - even the bed linen and cushions. Really cute. Located close to the railway station which is convenient if you travel by train and stay only for a few nights.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple