“A life time goal achieved and well worth the time and effort envolved”
Review of Herend Porcelanium

Lake Balaton and Herend Porcelain Manufactory from Budapest
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Herend
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visitors are offered a variety of activities including a factory tour, porcelain-making demonstrations plus a visit to the Herend Museum.
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

I have long been a collector and admirer of this hand painted porcelain. For a company that started making copies of Meissen for noble houses the firm has flurished. There is a packaged day tour to Lake Balaton and the Herend factory. Unfortunately it only runs one day a week. I had scheduledy stay to include the trip, but the date was switched. I learned I could go to Herend, the village by train. I asked directions at my hotel desk( the Wonderful Gellart Hotel). The young man looked up the train info and I learned that the trains run from tje south railway station. This is not far from the Gellert on the Pest side. I bought a ticket. There was one train change Involved in each direction. I then went to check my route at the information booth. The lady said I needed to buy more train mileage as my route overshot Herend and back tracked to Herend. I went and bought more miles. It is very important to note the exact times of the trains! Outside Budapest there are not many English speakers. The trains run on time.
People will help you, the wonderful train assistant at Herend showed me with gestures where to go. There were no taxis at the station. There were no cars at the station. I walked to the factory, it is about a mile and a quarter. It is a juge building with a large Herend Lion out front of the tour area. The museum is next to the factory. Wonderful porcelain and placesettings from all time periods ofanufacture. A free coffee was included in the tour, but I had no time. I watched the movie, quite good and walked through the molding, painting and assembly part of the tour. My kind guide had great English. They give everyone a Herend rose-unpainted. It was charming. I ran back to the train station and sure enough, just on time
my train came into I hopped on, waived to my friend the conductor and off I went, back through Vesprem to Budapest. It was a very satisfying experience.

5  Thank Truffie

Reviewed 12 April 2013

I got the opportunity to visit Herend during my visit to Hungary in April, thanks to my good friend Julia who works as porcelain painter there. It's very interactive, upon arrival tourists were taken to the theatre to watch a short movie about porcelain and how its started in Hungary. Then after, we were taken to see how porcelain was made, starting from moulding up until the painting stage. I am truly blessed because I had the chance to try out painting the porcelain :) There is a café, a souvenir shop near to the factory, and you can see vast of porcelain collections at the mini museum there. Herend can be reached from Budapest about 2-hours, can be part of day trip to Lake Balaton as well. Worth a visit and recommended to those who travel with children. There is English-speaking guide too so don't worry about language barrier :)

2  Thank DiyanaArtemis
Reviewed 1 November 2012

If you are in the area it is worth a visit. They have good English speaking guides and the tour is just agreeable and you get the chance of seeing almost all the processes of porcelain making. The museum is nice to see too. It is also appropriate for children. Have a coffee at their restaurant, the coffee is average but you will drink it out of Herend cups:)

Reviewed 25 June 2012

If you are planning to visit Herend Factory you´re probably on your way to Lake Balaton. A trip to this sole attraction isn`t worth it, but if your spending a couple of hours in your Tihany´s day trip, then it´s justified.
Once you´ve seen a porcelain factory you´ve seen them all. This particular factory produces very traditional, antique styles. If you like traditional dinning rooms (Queen Anne, Chippendale, Louis XIV, Victorian, Edwardian) you´ll be delighted.
If you go, don´t miss the cafeteria. It´s not only charming, they use many different porcelain styles to serve the coffee and tea.

1  Thank RicherTrips
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We visited this as part of a day trip to Lake Balaton from Budapest. I'm usually a bit sceptical about tours including 'shopportunities' but there was absolutely no pressure to buy as indeed there couldn't have been at the prices of Herend porcelain. Having said that, a surpring number of us were not empty handed when we left!
We enjoyed the demonstrations of porcelain making, painting etc & a very good museum. Coffee was elegantly served in their lovely cups & saucers.

1  Thank WinstonSophie