“Beautiful and breathtaking”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 18 April 2012

takes your breath away, a must to see and do in Krakow. The Mine is huge and lots of history there, you can actually get married there.

Reviewed 14 April 2012

This experiance is one I will never forget you just have to see it to belive it.But only go if you are fit and well.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I would put this as the #3 thing to do while in Krakow. #1 Old Town Krakow, #2 Auschwitz. I used Crakow Tours which I booked directly thru my hotel (Hilton Garden Inn--Krakow) and they were great!

I was expecting a dirty old & small tour of a boring mine, but I was pleasantly surprised! Crakow Tours handed us over to a guide from the Mine that spoke good English. She was very professional and actually had on a cool looking uniform & she was cute!

Be ready to do some walking and be ready to go down 378 steps. I think we were underground for apx 2.5 hours and near the end I was starting to feel a bit Claustrophic and was ready to leave.

But if you have 2-3 days in Krakow you should definitely check this out!

Also, the guide from Crakow said there weren't bathroom in the mine; he is incorrect.....there were at least 2 times where we were offered a bathroom break. They also sell drinks, snacks etc.

2  Thank Yates26
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We were recommended the salt mines whilst staying in krakow and as we had a spare day we booked it up. The tour was dull wandering around looking at the same sort of things over and over again the tour guide did try very hard though and was informative. Lot of the tour was focused on religious aspects and this for many would have been facinating. At the end of the tour we waited in a queue for around 30minutes without any explanation why were standing there it was frustrating. I wouldn't say it's a must see there are much better things to do in and around krakow and better ways to spend your money!

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We purchased our tickets and waited for the English speaking tour which was half past every hour. We entered the mine via 380 steps going down, it went on and on an on! The guide explained we would only see about 1% of the mine as it was so big, she was great, spoke perfect English and set test questions for the group. If we failed the questions she said we had to walk back up :) It was amazing to see the carvings, the re-enactment of working life, the horses, the stories and the big hall where everything was made of salt was amazing, even down to the chandeliers! At the end of the tour we were given the option of carrying on to see the technical side, which was another 2km but unfortunately we didn't have time so we joined the queue for the lift. Then we were told we had to walk another half km to actually get there! The lift is the one the miners used, or probably a replacement. Nine of us were crammed into it and it whisks you to the top in no time. The mine is well worth a visit but make sure you have good walking shoes and take water with you.