“be prepared to walk”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Guide was enthusiastic and knowledgable. Tourists only see 1.5% of the mines and that was a lot. Dont expect the carvings and statues to be out of white salt, as this mine produced mainly green salt. You will never see anything like this again.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,931)

Reviewed 25 May 2012

The artwork is fantastic, I just wished there was more of it to see. Personally, I found too much time was given to how they got the salt out of the mines. Our tour guide was wonderful, though.

1  Thank punjabk
Reviewed 25 May 2012

A truly awe inspiring place. I must confess that when my brother told me he visited a salt mine on his holidays two things crossed my mind. 1) is this where salt actually comes from and 2) how sad is he going to a mine on his holidays. I could not have been more wrong. You cannot visit Krakow without visiting this salt main it will take your breath away.

Reviewed 25 May 2012

Deffinately worth a visit. Only problem was that due to many school classes also visiting it was hard hearing the guide. She did do a good job though!

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I was really looking forward to our visit here. The photogrpahs on Tripadvisor and elsewhere had really whetted my appetite. Overall, I couldn't give it an excellent rating, although the scale of the mines and the work, dedication and talent of the miners in creating the fantistic sculptures deserve it. It was like being on a conveyer belt. I know these places are all very touristy and didn't expect to have the place to ourselves, but you were packaged into groups of 20+ and rushed around. The group behind us kept catching up and we couldn't hear our own tour guide for the theirs (there were no headphones here). On one occassion there were 4 groups all on-top of each other, each tour guide trying to shout louder than the others to be heard. The pressure of knowing the other groups were behind meant we had to rush round a lot of it and there was no time to take it in or take photos. We did get a good amount of time in the largest and grandest chamber though so that was good. It was May when we visited so not main tourist season so I imagine it must only get worse?!Then at the end the only way out is in a single lift that only takes around 20-30 people at a time and that also serves the miners! The last few metres was a race as people all rushed and jostled to try and get in the queue first to get into the lift. Even though we were in the first group we still had to wait 15-20 minutes. Not a great end to it all. You would have thought that knowing how many people visit the mines they would have bult more lifts by now?! It's worth seeing, but be prepared to rush around, miss a lot of what your guide is saying and to end up feeling like you have just been through a conveyor belt and 'used' - I know that all of these set-ups are really just interesed in the toursit pound (and don't blame them), but this one could do a lot more to pretend you are a valued customer. Or maybe I just visited on a bad day?

1  Thank Sc00bee