“Cold, damp and unwelcoming” 1 of 5 bubbles

Kolonna Hotel Kuldiga
Kolonna Hotel Kuldiga
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kuldiga
Delafield, Wisconsin, United States
“Cold, damp and unwelcoming”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

The hotel was easy to book online. However, upon arrival we quickly discovered the picture of the room was extremely deceiving! The room was cold in appearance and temperature. We had to ask for a space heater which did not work. Beds were extremely hard and uncomfortable. The blinds did not close and the neon signs shone in all night. The bathroom was very small, in fact the door could not be closed while using the facilities because of space limitations. Restaurant staff very pleasant. Food, not so good compared to the other wonderful meals we experienced in Latvia. Would not recommend even one nights stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Gail E

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Riga, Latvia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

It is ok but I stayed at the end of April and the heat was turned off so it was cold in my room. Also there was a tin overhanging thing outside the window and it was raining, so it was noisy. The rooms also do not have good soundproofing and I could hear people talking in the hallway on other floors. The sink did not have a separate faucet and used the faucet from the shower. It was too low in the sink so it was difficult to wash my hands so I ended up keeping the faucet in the shower area. When I made my reservation, I saw that a double room for single use was only $2 more so I booked that. When I arrived, the person thought my reservation was for two people and then when I said I was just one person, she changed the rate. I didn't realize that she was changing me to a single room until I went to the room. I could have gone back down and requested a double room for single use but I was too lazy to do so. If you are traveling alone, make sure when you check in if you have booked a double room for single use that that is what they give you.

The staff were all very nice. The female receptionist was nice and offered to help me with my suitcase and also looked up the bus schedule for me. When I arrived there was no English brochure for Kuldiga but when I came back after sightseeing, she had an English brochure. When checking out the male receptionist helped me with my suitcase.

The breakfast was included and was ok.

However, having stayed at the Kolonna hotel in Riga, I was disappointed with this hotel as it wasn't as nice. Even though the staff were nice, most likely I would pay more and stay at a different hotel next time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
4 Thank sigulda158
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

I assume this place was built while Latvia was a Soviet Socialist Republic - decadent luxuries such as Lifts were not considered necessary. Apparently many of the rooms on the lower floors have been rented out to businesses so there are some stairs to climb.

There was no "Kolonna" sign anywhere - the place announces itself as "Viesnīca Hotel", "viesnīca" being Latvian for "hotel".

The restaurant amazed us by running out of beer. If that makes our group sound like pillaging viking hordes that is totally wrong - we had no vikings with us (no pillaging either). The food was good, we were happy with the both the quality and choice (and the service). I remember the breakfast as being uninspiring and coffee a problem.
Kuldiga has a long pedestrianised street ending at a square which is a large car park. This place is opposite the far corner of that car park. If you don't want to eat at the restaurant or it runs out of beer, there are enough other places nearby.

The internet connection was unencrypted WLAN and may not even have belonged to the Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back do not suffer from traffic noise.