“a very regular customer”

Restaurante Avenida
Ranked #12 of 248 Restaurants in Tavira
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nottinghamshire
“a very regular customer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Avenida is a must on a trip to Tavira. This visit we went twice, and my Husband who used to love in Portugal used to save his wages up and have a steak dinner once a month here. We have always found the owner and the waiting staff to be very courteous and obliging; and the staff seem to be very considerate of their customers needs in our experience. The last visit (July 2014) was no different; a pleasant experience, gorgeous food with particular mention to the vegetable soup, peppered steak and chocolate mousse. I wish I knew what the dressing was on the green beans that they serve, it is delicious - and Jose if you are willing to share this secret then i will be very grateful.
See you every year, like the last 14 years!!

3 Thank Brutallyhonest879

• Korean first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Good but if you order fish expect bones!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I had a lovely meal here with very nice house wine. Baked pancakes with prawns and veg, yum, yum. But my fella was somewhat let down with the mixed fried fish and tomato rice. He wasn't expecting so many bones in the fish but it was our fault we didn't ask either!

2 Thank NJC30
Leicester
“What is going on ?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I have given this restaurant 2 good reviews before, I have just come back from a 2 week stay in Tavira and this place was on my list of must visits. Things started of ok we sat outside on the balcony and ordered 2 soups, 1 veg and 1 fish, along with bread and butter this came and was very nice like normal, my wife finished before me and the young waiter wiped it away as soon as her spoon went down, to this she said that was a bit quick, as soon as I finished the same thing happened and before I could wipe my lips the main was on the table. Again we said they must want a early night, it was not as if there was a line of people trying to get in. Well again as soon as my wife had put her knife and fork down the plate was gone again leaving me to finish, and with the last mouth full of food placed in my mouth he was there again plate gone and asking if we would like a sweet. This was when I blow my top still with food in my mouth, I gave the young waiter a dressing down and told him to bring the bill, it was so funny as he kept coming for the money, but we still had a glass of wine to drink so we kept him waiting. The owner did come up to us as I put the money down, and tried to say that most people like the food quick and I told him, not that quick we must have been in and out with in 45 minutes and that was taking our time with the wine. I will never use this place again just for this reason the service rubbish, it is a pity as the food was nice and I told them so.

• Visited July 2014
JoaoPereira-Tavira, Proprietário at Restaurante Avenida, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
It is with great sadness that I see your so negative review about my restaurant, having the quickness of service as a severe problem. I really thank the first two reviews, and I don't understand why this one is so weak.

All customers like to be served with quality and quickness. Basically, no one likes to spend hours waiting for the meal. Most negative reviews relates to the slowness of the service and not with the quickness of this.

It was not with any intention that we served you quickly, unless the intention to please you with our efficiency. We only work with the premise of quality service and quickness.

Never in 25 years of open restaurant, neither I nor any of my employees, raised a dish without the client indicate the end of the meal by placing the silverware indicating its end.

In the summer, I have clients staying at the restaurant till late, talking and laughing, and that was never a problem for me or my employees. They can stay till they want. Rather, it means that they feel at home and we provide a service that pleases them.

The motto of my work and my employees was always please the customer with quality, speed, friendship, friendliness and courtesy, always thinking of the best for the client.
Hope to see you soon.

Best regards
João Pereira
Lisbon, Portugal
“Great food at a nice and cozy place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Went there with my wife and kid during our summer vacations and I must say we'll definitely go back there. My wife had the steak with the "sauce of the house" and it was really tasty. I had a mix of fried fish and, besides being perfectly cooked, I believe the amount was enough for two people!
Very friendly staff and really pleasant atmosphere. The fact that it is slightly off the beaten path (but still within walking distance) allows it to be considerably more quiet than the average restaurant in the area.
Even though we were in a very touristic city such as Tavira, this place made us feel almost at home.
Really worth a visit.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Rui F
Corroios, Setubal, Portugal
“Not the best i've ever been to”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

Went to lunch in a large group, and I have to say that this restaurant was not what we expected, it was slightly overpriced and the food wasn't al that great. In all they lost 16 potential repeat customers.

• Visited March 2014