“Great Food, Great Service”

Kohinoor Indian Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 286 Restaurants in Tavira
Price range: US$14 - US$21
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Excellent Indian restaurant. One of the best curries I've ever had and other members of my party felt the same. Food really good quality and you could choose how spicey you wanted your dish. The service was excellent and the waiter couldn't be more helpful bringing us more poppadums and pickles for free because he could see we were enjoying them. Free drink at the end was a nice touch. Tavira full of nice restaurants but if you fancy a change would highly recommend Kohinoor.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We visited Tavira in mid-March, a town that we have stayed at in the past & love. However this was our first visit to the Kohinoor. We had been undecided on where we would eat that evening and had passed by a few restaurants before we got there. I am vegetarian and often find it difficult when travelling and often find I'm settling for omelettes, pizza and pasta purely because I get fed up trying to find somewhere to eat/having to explain that I don't eat fish etc etc.
So by the time we reached the Kohinoor we were both very hungry, and on the verge of a squabble. I knew that I was likely to get a bit more veggie choice at an Indian restaurant but my partner doesn't 'like Indian food, curry or anything too spicy' but the young man outside directed him to a chicken dish and weary of our wandering we went in.
It was wonderful, the place was clean, bright and welcoming, the staff were helpful and quietly efficient. We were guided through the dishes to find what would suit us, and my partner's spice aversion heeded.

I had a vegetable korma, and my partner had chicken sheeslak ( I think that was the spelling), both were fabulous. Mine bore no resemblance to some of the kormas I have had, tasty and well seasoned and nicely presented. My other half was absolutely overwhelmed as he loved his dish, the sauce, the way the chicken was cooked..
We returned twice after that, and my partner even ventured into a tikka masala cooked to his needs.

On every occasion the food and service was consistantly good, the staff took time and care over us and other diners..though of course it was a quieter time of year it was still busy. I noticed several people who were both local or visiting returners. We will certainly go back when we are back in Portugal - just wish I could go there tonight!
Try it.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I am a regular visitor to this restaurant and continue to be impressed with the friendly and professional service. Unlike many restuarants in the region the staff in Kohinoor make every effort to make you meal enjoyable. The food is very good and always as requested again unlike many others in the region.

3  Thank Dave S
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We gave this restaurant a try one evening when we were looking for somewhere to eat quite early evening and were persuaded by the very nice young man who was touting for business with an offer of a free drink (we fancied Indian food really!!). We were the only people in at 6: 15 but other families followed gradually.

The service was good with helpful advice advice about the spiciness of the food on offer and a very wide choice of different dishes from different regions of India. The Jal Frezie and Tika Masala was served in a 'keep warm' pot and the portions were more that satisfactory. We ordered three rice for 5 people and it was more than enough with two Nan's and an Indian Bread.

We did not really expect the free drinks but sure enough when we received the bill the drinks were on the house.

If you fancy Indian food while in Tavira, give Kohinoor a try, in our opinion the food is first class!

1  Thank EmboDurham
Reviewed 21 December 2011

My wife and I wanted to try an Indian and decided on the kohinoor after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. We went on a Wednesday evening around 7 pm there was only one person in the restaurant . We ordered , the staff were friendly , the portions were ample and the food was delicious. We even got a free drink at the end. This restaurant is highly recommended.