This is a large hotel with 268 rooms. Our room was comfortable and clean with a good shower in the bathroom. It overlooked a fuel station, a car park and a flyover and was on the shaded side of the hotel. As this was February and we were on a walking holiday this didn't bother us as it was quiet at night.
The reception area was large with plenty of seating and free wi-fi, if you wanted wi-fi in your room, you had to pay extra. You also pay extra for a lock and key to fit the safe in the room.
The pool area looked very good and the pool appeared very clean and inviting, but as I said, it was February so the water was very cold. Plenty of sun beds. There is a small circular heated indoor pool.
The bar area was large with plenty of seats, the downside is the amount of large TV screens most of which showed sports. There area also 2 pool tables.
The dining area is also large but this is the part which has caused me to mark the hotel down. Breakfast is the best time to eat there. Fresh fried eggs, if you can find a member of staff to serve them. A toaster which requires the bread to go through 8 times if you want it a decent colour! plenty of cereal and fruit, some of it tinned, yoghurt. Despite the fact that this area of Portugal has many orange groves, the breakfast juices were not fresh. Scrambled eggs, baked beans, bacon and sausage available in the buffet area.
The evening meals were poor, no other word for it. If we hadn't been on a group holiday we would have eaten elsewhere. Vegetables had all the goodness cooked out of them. No real vegetarian choice. Meat was overcooked and grisly, fish undercooked. A complete disaster.
Wine was very good value. Staff worked hard and were very helpful (apart from breakfast)
If they just put more effort into the food this hotel would be a delight to stay in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the historical city of Tavira between this picturesque old town and Ria Fromosa. Here, guests will discover a good selection of shopping and entertainment venues. The fine sandy of the dune island, Ilha de Tavira, is easily reached by ferry and the hotel bus travels to the airport several times a day. The large, excellent golf courses of Quinta da Ria and Quinta da Cima are only 11 km away. Public transport departs from stops located directly in front of the hotel; Faro airport is approximately 30 km away. Built in 2002, this popular hotel offers a total of 268 rooms spread over 3 floors, of which 22 connecting rooms and 6 junior suites suitable for families. Amongst the facilities you will find a stylish reception area with 24-hour service and lifts, free Wi-Fi Internet connection in public areas, a currency exchange desk, a game room and a Kids Club. The hotel is equipped with wheelchair access ways and an air-conditioning. You may take advantage of a restaurant with non-smoking areas and highchairs for infants, two hotel bars, a gaming room, a garden and outdoor areas such as the playground for kids. For and additional cost you may use the hotel safe, the laundry service or the garage. All the rooms have been tastefully furnished and offer air conditioning, electronic safety door look, direct telephone, LCD TV with Cable and Pay TV, Wi-Fi Connection and safe (for and additional cost), Minibar and 24 hour room service, private bathroom with telephone and hair dryer. There is an outdoor swimming pool with sun loungers and parasols all around and a garden area. The hotel is equipped with a Health Club which is composed with indoor heated pool, a Jacuzzi, a steam room and a gym. There is also the possibility for our guests to have massages and beauty treatments. Guests may select their breakfast, lunch and dinner from a wide buffet. Lunch and dinner may be chosen a la carte. Special dietary requirements, as well as individual-specific menus, may be catered to and it is possible to book a half-board stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Vila Gale Tavira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Gale Tavira Hotel Tavira
- Vila Gale Hotel Tavira
- Vila Gale Tavira Portugal - Algarve