The 2 pools are lovely, the sun beds are great.
The room is lovely, very clean, big with an ok balcony. The hotel is clean.
A girl called Theresa was nice to the children did her best. Roberto is ok for the kids,he is cheeky to them, got them playing ball on one day, throwing them into the pool they liked it. There was another guy with glasses who dressed as a nun splashing water on people, he was quiet. ( this sounds a bit crazy but believe me it was very very tame)
The hotel is near to the boat to the beach, the beach is nice, a lot of seaweed, beds and umbrellas are far from the sea, most people bring there own umbrella/tent and chairs or towels (umbrellas can be bought in the hotel shop for €12. There are a few cafés and shops and bars at the beach, the food was better here.
Pool bar, no, you are better to go inside, if there is any more than 2 people waiting for service your in for a wait. Sit back down, the girl on the bar is confused, in a panic and not able to cope the young guy working with her is the same, I'm not exaggerating they really do not know what to do. There are two older guys a bit more competent in that they apologise all the time. The guy with glasses and black hair seems to be trying to hold the service all in his own as no one else can. When the bar is empty go, ask for your drink, ask again, wait for the look of confusion as they look for the coffee machine, wait, wait oh they found it! Now had your money over wait wait, while they figure out the till, finally you have your change and u can sit down. Cocktails €6.50 are not great, beer €3and Pepsi €3. Lunch is a disaster they can't even cook something simple as frozen chips, they come out brown and oily, frozen burger, frozen pizza, a toasted sandwich would be the safest bet. Pricey too. Breakfast is alright pancakes, croissants, fruit ( some fruit is tinned), fried egg, toast, yogurt, juice all good, if you want a fry it's tinned mushrooms, tinned tomatoes, it did not look great. Service is better at breakfast maybe because you do most of yourself :)
We had dinner one night and we were presented with tough frozen fish rather than fresh 4 star, defiantly not. It was not nice.
As I type this there is a French family having a melt down about the service ( it must be their first day) they have asked for two glasses of wine 5 times now by the same waiter and the reply is yes yes two glasses of wine no problem it's coming , they have been given the wrong food after about a 15min wait.
There is very little entertainment a, guy playing an organ in an empty bar on our first night, I think he was working breakfast the next day. Two dancers come in one night, for about 30min leaving everyone thinking is this it? The kids club is a joke. A room with a TV and machines which cost a €1 per go. There is nothing nothing nothing happening. One day they had volleyball in the pool, we actually had music by the pool which was a shock. The entertainment team seem to want to do more but cannot, I think they would like to have music and so would the guests.
So the verdict
Overall this is a lovely clean hotel, comfy beds, near to the town centre, not far from Faro Airport, private transfer only €60, with lovely pools, near to the boat for the beach, but lacks management or staff who are experienced is service, they have all the facilities and it could be so much more. Service and entertainment and food need to be of better quality. And it would be nice if there was more information about the area and the things to do on check in, it's really on a need to know basis. The town is family orientated no mad pubs/clubs with drunken people which is nice. It's small with places to eat or have one or two drinks. It is hard to get a feel of the people here (hard to explain) the wine is lovely and very good value. There is not much to do so except relax. The children will like the candy floss and ice cream in the town.
Really they need someone like Gordon Ramsey (not that I like him that much) to get this place into shape. Or maybe it's that they don't need to as they just fill up the rooms anyway. I think because it's a hotel chain they don't care.
There is little music in this town ( the very odd busker, opera in the square, it's very hard to get a sense of the people and who they are, their traditions, food, music etc. the square is nice with a little market but one or two nights is enough here. It has an old fashioned easy going town nice for family's. We just decided to go with it and enjoyed it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the historical city of Tavira between this picturesque old town and Ria Fromosa. Here, guests will discover a good selection of shopping and entertainment venues. The fine sandy of the dune island, Ilha de Tavira, is easily reached by ferry and the hotel bus travels to the airport several times a day. The large, excellent golf courses of Quinta da Ria and Quinta da Cima are only 11 km away. Public transport departs from stops located directly in front of the hotel; Faro airport is approximately 30 km away. Built in 2002, this popular hotel offers a total of 268 rooms spread over 3 floors, of which 22 connecting rooms and 6 junior suites suitable for families. Amongst the facilities you will find a stylish reception area with 24-hour service and lifts, free Wi-Fi Internet connection in public areas, a currency exchange desk, a game room and a Kids Club. The hotel is equipped with wheelchair access ways and an air-conditioning. You may take advantage of a restaurant with non-smoking areas and highchairs for infants, two hotel bars, a gaming room, a garden and outdoor areas such as the playground for kids. For and additional cost you may use the hotel safe, the laundry service or the garage. All the rooms have been tastefully furnished and offer air conditioning, electronic safety door look, direct telephone, LCD TV with Cable and Pay TV, Wi-Fi Connection and safe (for and additional cost), Minibar and 24 hour room service, private bathroom with telephone and hair dryer. There is an outdoor swimming pool with sun loungers and parasols all around and a garden area. The hotel is equipped with a Health Club which is composed with indoor heated pool, a Jacuzzi, a steam room and a gym. There is also the possibility for our guests to have massages and beauty treatments. Guests may select their breakfast, lunch and dinner from a wide buffet. Lunch and dinner may be chosen a la carte. Special dietary requirements, as well as individual-specific menus, may be catered to and it is possible to book a half-board stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Vila Gale Tavira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Gale Tavira Hotel Tavira
- Vila Gale Hotel Tavira
- Vila Gale Tavira Portugal - Algarve