This hotel was 4 star, by only just.
The pool was lovely, lot of sunbeds, and it is in a great location – the restaurants in the town are a short stroll away through some quaint residential streets.
The rooms were clean and spacious, but are not luxurious. As other people have said before, the beds are a little hard, but are no problem, but some of the pillows were ridiculously lumpy!! It was like sleeping with a your head on a small sack of well boiled potatoes!
However, on the whole we had a great time. We’re in our late 20’s and just wanted to relax by a nice pool and get lots of sunshine, and this hotel was perfect for that. Most people staying in the hotel were much older than us, but it means it is nice and quiet.
Tavira is a really nice small town – there are plenty of nice restaurants all of which are about 15 mins stroll away. We found most of the best ones to be across the river, so make sure you venture across one of the bridges.
That said, 2 amazing restaurant we found are not across the bridge! One is below the church on the top of the hill – look for the huge white clock face and head towards it. It is in a courtyard just across from there and is quite a modern place. It has an outdoor balcony with views across the whole town. The second it a 10 mins taxi journey away – it translates to ‘the steak on the stone’. Ask at the hotel reception and they will book it for you. Not expensive, just amazing steak brought to you on a sizzling stone that you can cook as much or as little as you like. Great food.
There are no horrible neon signs in Tavira, no all English breakfasts. There are plenty of tourists but all are like minded and are just looking for a quiet break.
All in all it is a nice hotel, and is a perfect base for relaxing holiday in Tavira. Despite one or two small grumbles it was a good place to stay and I’d go again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the historical city of Tavira between this picturesque old town and Ria Fromosa. Here, guests will discover a good selection of shopping and entertainment venues. The fine sandy of the dune island, Ilha de Tavira, is easily reached by ferry and the hotel bus travels to the airport several times a day. The large, excellent golf courses of Quinta da Ria and Quinta da Cima are only 11 km away. Public transport departs from stops located directly in front of the hotel; Faro airport is approximately 30 km away. Built in 2002, this popular hotel offers a total of 268 rooms spread over 3 floors, of which 22 connecting rooms and 6 junior suites suitable for families. Amongst the facilities you will find a stylish reception area with 24-hour service and lifts, free Wi-Fi Internet connection in public areas, a currency exchange desk, a game room and a Kids Club. The hotel is equipped with wheelchair access ways and an air-conditioning. You may take advantage of a restaurant with non-smoking areas and highchairs for infants, two hotel bars, a gaming room, a garden and outdoor areas such as the playground for kids. For and additional cost you may use the hotel safe, the laundry service or the garage. All the rooms have been tastefully furnished and offer air conditioning, electronic safety door look, direct telephone, LCD TV with Cable and Pay TV, Wi-Fi Connection and safe (for and additional cost), Minibar and 24 hour room service, private bathroom with telephone and hair dryer. There is an outdoor swimming pool with sun loungers and parasols all around and a garden area. The hotel is equipped with a Health Club which is composed with indoor heated pool, a Jacuzzi, a steam room and a gym. There is also the possibility for our guests to have massages and beauty treatments. Guests may select their breakfast, lunch and dinner from a wide buffet. Lunch and dinner may be chosen a la carte. Special dietary requirements, as well as individual-specific menus, may be catered to and it is possible to book a half-board stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your Vila Gale Tavira reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vila Gale Tavira Hotel Tavira
- Vila Gale Hotel Tavira
- Vila Gale Tavira Portugal - Algarve