“Overpriced”

Cuisines: Pizza, Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Feeling like pizza, this restaurant had a generous pizza menu so we decided to dine there. The pizza was nice but lacked much topping. about 3 mushrooms sat on top of our pizza and 3 pieces of bacon but it was huge and didn't really taste like much. Don't Ask for an extra plate as it costs you 4 euro and if you just want tap water that is also 4 euro. Reading this left a sour taste in my mouth as it felt like they were trying to rip people off for a common gratis in most restaurants. I wouldn't recommend here if the Slberhorn or Oberland restaurant can seat you instead.

1  Thank Shae W

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband went there with our 9 mth old daughter after spending the day hiking down from the nearby schilthorn. Our waitress was very unnecessarily short and snippy with us from the moment we walked in. I understand this is in a tourist area, but the food was priced outrageously high for what it was. We ordered a coke, beer, tiny cheese pizza, and small salad and it was 40francs. Everything was mediocre... Except the service which was awful. Our waitress brought us our food and we never saw her again. I had to find someone else to bring us the check. I asked if we could have an extra plate and she rudely snipped it would be 3francs for an extra plate. I thought her interactions with us compared to how she treated other customers was unacceptable. She left a horrible taste in my mouth and I would recommend to no one.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Had a good pizza and a nice salad the first nice we arrived in town. Food is overpriced like everything else in town but c'est la vie. Nicer people and more accommodating than at Oberland up the street.

1  Thank MikeMikeWilson
Reviewed 19 April 2013

There was not much open while we were in this beautiful place but we happened to find this little restaurant. We were not too hungry and decided to just get some soup and salad. We were so surprised at the amazing Tomato Soup. It was a tomato, vodka, and basil soup and is a permanent item on their menu. We loved it so much we came back for it again the next night! It is a healthy portion and comes with bread. If you are looking for a nice lunch or a light dinner, this would be perfect! HIGHLY recommend this soup.

1  Thank PrickelyPear
Reviewed 11 December 2012

An interesting place the Steinbock. Animal remains decorate the restaurant walls; they have a special "game" menu; and the whole place reminds you of a large hunting lodge. As the Oberland had closed its doors the night before, this was one of only two restaurants still open in mid October. Even so, the crowd wasn't big, and the large barn like room looked very empty.

We opted to forgo the game menu and chose from the more sedate and traditional normal menu. Food was OK but nothing spectacular. Servings were generous. In fact my wife opted for her first fondue, and got twice as much as we both could possibly eat. But then bread and melted cheese becomes pretty monotonous after a few mouthfuls.

Service was pretty hit and miss, but you're in a small village, not a major town, so you adjust your expectations accordingly. I would have given this place four stars, but for the fact that we'd dined at the Oberland the previous night. That restaurand was a class above the Steinbock in every area: food, staff and atmosphere, so the Steinbock was mildly disappointing.

Not that anything was wrong; but in comparison it was just average.

1  Thank westendgaz