“Good, not great.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Steinbock
Ranked #12 of 15 Restaurants in Lauterbrunnen
Cuisines: Swiss, European
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Waterville, Vermont
“Good, not great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

The soup is what earned the 3 score here. We visited in mid-November and this was the only restaurant open in Lauterbrunnen. We were there for 2 nights and the 1st night we went shopping at Coop and cooked in our fantastic hostel (Valley Hostel) kitchen. Night 2 we decided to try the only restaurant option: Steinbock. I ordered the Chanterelle Soup and my boyfriend ordered the Tomato Soup. They were 8.50 sfr each, which is a pretty good value it seems for the area. We both really enjoyed the flavor and texture of the soup. As we had a big lunch we didn't have any main courses, so I can't speak to any of those. The bread they served with the soup was also nothing to write home about.
Despite the great soup the atmosphere is drab and the service average. Don't expect a warm hearty welcome and/or lots of attention. The room is brown and a bit dark. They also charge for water (I think 2,50 sfr for the smallest option) which I am not used to, and found a bit off putting. Instead I got a tea and my boyfriend a beer, as it seemed odd to pay the same price for water or tea/beer.
If other restaurants were open, I am sure we would have gone elsewhere. However, I would come back for the soup again, just without atmosphere/service expectations.

Visited November 2013

Singapore, Singapore
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Lauterbrunnen is really a place whereby you don't have many choices of where to eat considering everything is very expensive and the restaurants in Lauterbrunnen were packed on that day - without making reservations, we had nothing to eat and it was well past the time where co-op was open - so we decided to walk into Steinbock for a try.

Just like other restaurants in Switzerland, they charge exorbitant prices. The pizza was thin-crust and ingredients on the pizza were well spread-out with the right amount of cheese. A glass of water costed CHF3 (if I'm not wrong) - which is, by my country's standards, a little bit too expensive for a simple glass of water, considering the fact that in my country, only some restaurants charge for a glass of water and even so, it is around US$0.15 per glass, $3 is pushing it.

Ordered a glass of Sprite, came out with no fizz at all, it was just a sugary liquid (probably left out in the open for too long or shook until the fizz is gone), changed for another glass - the fizz was there but it wasn't really much of a fizz either.

Overall, good pizza and main courses, a bit on the expensive side but I mean, its the same for everywhere in Switzerland.

P.S: It was one of the emptier restaurants in Lauterbrunnen for dinner night.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SG_Jun
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Grim and unwelcoming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Food is okay but the staff need a rocket up them. They have absolutely no idea of customer service and rely on the fact that the toursit is in a trap.With Interlaken 10mins away how can they afford to be this disdainful of custom? Shocking.

• Visited August 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Feeling like pizza, this restaurant had a generous pizza menu so we decided to dine there. The pizza was nice but lacked much topping. about 3 mushrooms sat on top of our pizza and 3 pieces of bacon but it was huge and didn't really taste like much. Don't Ask for an extra plate as it costs you 4 euro and if you just want tap water that is also 4 euro. Reading this left a sour taste in my mouth as it felt like they were trying to rip people off for a common gratis in most restaurants. I wouldn't recommend here if the Slberhorn or Oberland restaurant can seat you instead.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Sweetwait
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Awful waitress, way overpriced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband went there with our 9 mth old daughter after spending the day hiking down from the nearby schilthorn. Our waitress was very unnecessarily short and snippy with us from the moment we walked in. I understand this is in a tourist area, but the food was priced outrageously high for what it was. We ordered a coke, beer, tiny cheese pizza, and small salad and it was 40francs. Everything was mediocre... Except the service which was awful. Our waitress brought us our food and we never saw her again. I had to find someone else to bring us the check. I asked if we could have an extra plate and she rudely snipped it would be 3francs for an extra plate. I thought her interactions with us compared to how she treated other customers was unacceptable. She left a horrible taste in my mouth and I would recommend to no one.

• Visited August 2013