“very nice hotel with nice views to the water fall” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Restaurant Schutzen

and 1 more site!
Hotel Restaurant Schutzen
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
“very nice hotel with nice views to the water fall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our stay was very agreable. Clean rooms, quite atmosphere, decent breakfast. Unlikely other comments here, the owner is a very friendly guy who welcomed us with a smille, good humour and gave us some good tips to hike and chill around. We will stay here again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
New Delhi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is the worst hotel experience of my life. the guy at reception is a cheat, who is arrogant, and jerk kind of a guy. mind you, he appears to be the owner of the hotel, who is just cheating people in every possible way. certain things you must know.
Don't book this hotel looking at photographs, as you may get something worst, and you may not get what you asked for.
only 4 beds in one room is ok, rest all the rooms are bad. if you pick up a room which fits 2 people in the bedroom, it is the worst, as the room is not even sufficient for one person. the guy is arrogant, and prick. you dont even feel like talking to him even for a minute.
coming to the location, this hotel is not in interlaken, and is in place called as lauterbrunnen, which is half an hour either by train or by bus to reach to the place called lauterbrunnen, and is far off from the city area of interlaken.
view wise, provided you get a room with a view, is good. but i assume entire switzerland has good views. i would not advise this hotel to anyone. even the breakfast costs more than other hotels, and the owner tries to fleece everything out of you. for example the owner told me that he charges extra 2% if you wish to pay by credit cards.
another thing he said.
if you need any information, speak to me before 8 PM, as after i am Drinking, and i am not hearing anything.

thats the way he speaks, choice is yours. enjoy

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ankitkhetarpal

Travellers are raving about these Lauterbrunnen hotels

Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

So we arrived late (thanks to delay in all our connecting trains) and we meet the host (or owner, not sure) Andreas, who is utterly rude in his reception. He coarsely reminds us that we are late and this is not the time to check in even though we informed him about our train delays and gently apologized for the inconvenience caused. But he never seemed affable or even cordial, to say the least. (We sense that he was even drunk, not sure though).
So, we have a horrible check-in without completion of any formalities and then he calls up early morning 7:30 asking us to complete the check-in process immediately. Ruins the start of the day again. During the check-in process too the guy was very rude and I finally retaliated. We in fact contemplated leaving the hotel for rest of the nights and booking some other hotel. However, as that would be lot of re-work and we had come on a holiday to enjoy, we ignored.
The hotel as such to say is against a nice backdrop of mountains but so are all the other hotels in Lauterbrunnen (it is a very small town, summed in a long street). The room was tiny and nothing to cheer about. Overall still manageable but his attitude/behavior was incorrigible. Someone should remind him that good stay doesn't only involve brick and stones but more importantly an amiable/courteous host. And yes, also remind him, we are PAYING for this!
If you're planning for a nice, enjoyable vacation, this guy's avoidable for sure!

4 Thank Naveen K
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Just had an overpriced dinner at this restaurant. However to be fair everything is overpriced in Lauterbrunnen.
However, my big complaint is that after our meal we were charged 2.50 CHF for each glass of tap water we ordered. I was clear to specify a glass of tap water and said "not bottled water" when I ordered. When we got the bill with a 7.50CHF charge I questioned the waiter. It was only then that he showed me the menu which showed me choices of 2.00 CHF and 2.50 CHF. Had I known I would have not ordered the water. When I asked him why he gave us the higher price and didn't ask us what size we wanted he became argumentive I had to ask to talk with the manager who explained if you order a glass of water before you order your food or any other drinks you will be charged for the water. He says this is the way it is throughout Switzerland. So even though we ordered 3 meals and wine and beer, we were charged for the water because I asked for it first.
This was a very embarrassing situation and I just wanted to tell others so they will be aware of the Swiss ways. The manager did give us the money back, but went on to an. explanation about why they have charge for water this way as the waiters don't get tips like they do in America.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank salogga
Kailua-Kona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I always check Tripadvisor before booking and noted the bad review from mac471. Since almost all of the other reviews of this hotel were positive, I figured somebody just had a bad day, so I booked for a 3 day stay. (I managed a resort motel in my past).
Then I meet Andreas. Now this guy has a quirky sense of humor (which I recognized instantly as I do, too). If you take him literally, it's easy to think he is rude, but I assure you he is not. Leanna's comment that he is "sweet" I was originally going to comment on, but she's right. Take his sense of humor in stride and this is a sweet guy.
We, too, arrived early--but that's when the train got in, and I don't wear a watch on holiday. When I saw the check-in time on the door, I asked Diane what time it was, and when I learned it was early, sat down outside to wait. No big deal. Andreas opened the door, said he saw us standing there and invited us in. I said, no rush, and he said he wasn't quite set up, but he helped us anyway. Then his jokes started. Well, i can tell jokes, too. Pretty soon, we were best buddies, and he went out of his way to to make sure we enjoyed our first day in Lauterbrunnen (we had a Swiss pass we could still use for the rest of the day). He suggested a couple of trips that would now be free, and they were great, because the one we took was to Grimmelwald, the little village Rick Steves loves so much, and then on to Murren, which we didn't make it to, having dinner in Grimmelwald instead.
As to the nickel and diming review--yep, the guy charges for what he has, but he's upfront about it, not like American hotels that tack on a "Resort Fee" when you're checking in. I rate resort fees with the word "gourmet" on a menu--won't go in.
The room we ended up with was clean, modern, kinda rustic, clean, tiled bathroom--no linoleum, with a balcony with a view of the waterfall and Jungfrau that won't quit. In such a beautiful piece of the world, I'm not even going to compare prices with a dusty motel on the prairie in Broken Pelvis, Montana. You get what you paid for, and this room would have cost 3 times as much if it overlooked a valley and waterfalls, like in Yosemite, in the US.

Room Tip: Three tips: 1. Ask for, bargain for, and pay for a room with a balcony facing the waterfall. Andr...
Mount Vernon, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

The menu choices were not the best, we asked the waitress if she could recommend a few appetizers to share, but her response was they were only for one person.....we did order one as a meal and it could have been an appetizer. I think this girl was new and she did not know how to sell at least 3 appetizers for 9 guests. Food was not the best, The only dish that was good was the Hamburger my niece had. I had some pork with vegetables and a made up pasta, not good at all! We got additional sauce for the table, the mushroom sauce was good. What really upset us is when we asked for additional water.....she filled out the glass container with tap water and charged us 5 francs for it, in addition to the 2 franks per person before!!!! It's so upsetting to pay for water - 23 francs!!! I learned after this restaurant to ask for FREE water whenever you go into a restaurant, they do offer it free, but you have to ask first.

Room Tip: Ask for FREE tap water in all restaurants you go in Switzerland. They do offer it, but you have to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SHazlehurst
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

First, the owner (this was my understanding as to his role) was very rude. We arrived early and knew it was not time to check in; however, we wanted to park our car and sightsee until check in time. When I approached the owner to let him know our desire, he was quite rude - told me to read the signs as to where I should park and he would charge and extra day for parking since we arrived early. When we checked in, the triple room was completely misrepresented by pictures on website (we were given quad room). Hotel extremely old; the bathroom looked like it was a throw back to the 70's (floor to ceiling maroon linoleum). Shower was the size of one you would find in a travel trailer. The owner was extremely rude to us when checking in, then tried to "lighten" up at the end. He acted like he was so bothered to have customers. We laid our jackets in the room chairs overnight. Big mistake - they reeked the next morning…some smell very similar to pet urine. Awful. "Breakfast" was bare minimum. Disappointed and would never stay here again. EXTREMELY OVERPRICED. The owner would not provide a feather free pillow - wanted to charge me 10 francs, lecturing me on the fact that I should have asked when making reservation and stating I had contaminated the other pillow (I just arrived and hadn't slept on it). Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank mac6811
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Silberhorn
#2 of 21 in Wengen
Hotel Eiger
Hotel Eiger
#1 of 11 in Murren

Been to Hotel Restaurant Schutzen? Share your experiences!