“Great hotel in a picture postcard perfect location!”
Review of Hotel Silberhorn

Hotel Silberhorn
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lauterbrunnen
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My wife and me plus one other couple spent two nichts at the Silberhorn, 9 and 10 May 2010. The hotel is perfectly located with easly access to lifts and trains. Our room were clean and comfortable with great views of the Alps. It is hard to describe what a beautiful spot this is. The hotel restaurant served a great breakfast and the two dinners we had there were outstanding. The hotel staff was very accomodating and our stay could not have been nicer.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 May 2010

We had a superior room at Hotel Silberhorn which had a separate sitting area and balcony - the bed was SO comfortable. Wonderful modern bathroom with a sliding smoked glass door for privacy. The view was simply out of this world and truly the walk up the stairs to Room 33 is absolutely worth it !
We arrived by train and the hotel is conveniently situated within easy walking distance of train station (and we also discovered later a short cut which you could take to the main street although you would not want cases with you). Also the hotel is right by the cable car to Murren. A lovely warm welcome from Livia who attended to all needs including a Swiss adaptor.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2010

May 13-14, 2010
Our two nights at Hotel Silberhorn was the best stay during the trip. We first saw the hotel when we boarded the cable car in Lauterbrunnen. It was then I realized how ideally located it was to both the cable and train stations.
Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by Lydia, a lovely and caring staffperson who saw to our needs whether it be electrical converters or train schedule departures. She is a real asset. The public areas are small and more like a chalet or lodge than hotel. For example, on each floor are dedicated areas for sitting, reading, and resting.
We were expecting double superior rooms, but ours was a huge family suite in a separate building, #60, that was about 500 square feet with a wraparound balcony, offering a panoramic view of the valley and waterfalls. It seems everyone in our travel group was pleased with his room.
In keeping with Swiss traditions, the room was spotlessly clean. The bed was extremely comfortable.
The breakfast buffett was superb. We were given a separate room that offered privacy. When we accepted the half board dinner, we were seated in the same room. I would add that the 5-course dinner was not only delicious but beautifully plated. We played Swiss polka and yodeling music to provide the proper atmosphere.
There was nothing I disliked about this hotel. And at 180 ChF, it was a great value.

Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights. First look, the hotel seems cosy from outside. Very close to the train station and the Murren Bahn cable car. Check-in staff was friendly.

The single room: basic, even feels a bit claustrophobic. There was not much of a view. The very tiny "nokia" tv was too high up to watch anything, and channels were all in german, so forget about planning to watch tv at night, if you have nothing else to do just sleep. The floor creaks when you walk, so really feels like in a village house. The breakfast was nothing to shout about. The restaurant also serves dinner, and the food quality was just mediocre.

Two incidents which dented my feelings to this hotel:
1. The lady owner was snobbish, at least to people other than her skin color. During dinner she greeted every table except mine, when I looked and smile at her, did not even smile back. Later when I asked her about the use of internet she told me with a serious tone: 'I never use this crap'. I wonder what's gotten into her!

2. The staff were inconsistent in their service. I asked if I could charge my dinner bill to my room, the waitress answered me with a stern: NO, so I paid cash. When I checked out on the last day, I saw other people's dinner bill being charged to my room! It took a while to rectify.

One plus point though:
I did not know that breakfast table was assigned base on room number, I chose the best spot on my first morning, seeing that it was empty. The waitress told me: "I see that you found your spot! Normally the tables are pre-assigned with your room number". And she remembered the next morning, I saw my room number being assign to the same table! Qudos to the waitress!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Alphy S
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I had passed through Lauterbrunnen when visiting Murren two other times--so this time decided to see what it would be like to actually stay. Honestly, I picked this hotel because it was the only one I was interested in where there was a reservation; that being said, I couldn't have been more pleased.

I had written the hotel with some questions before we arrived, and they were very responsive. We arrived a little early and were immediately brought up to our room--which consisted of a bedroom and a sitting area--both with balconies and a large bathroom.

The hotel had a restaurant where we ate dinner. The menu was endless and the food good. Breakfast was also included--and it was a really nice spread.

As predicted, this was a good location. I took a walk over to Trummelbach Falls (which were closed--but that's okay--it was a beautiful walk). We also took the train from Lauterbrunnen up to Grindelwald, and it was very easy. I remember thinking how glad I was that we could get back to the train station at Lauterbrunnen and be "home." Also, it is right next door to one of the cable cars that leads you part of the way to Murren.

I would recommend hotel!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We booked this hotel hoping for a late season ski weekend and we were not disappointed. The hotel is wonderful, with friendly staff, ultra convenient location right next to the rail station and tram to Murren, and the view from the terrace rivals what you see in the Yosemite valley! The restaurant isn't bad either, but if you want variety, walk across the street and take a train up to Wengen, or down to Interlakken. We came late season and were upgraded without asking to a premium room at the quoted rate for a standard room. We had to leave, sadly, on the first train out before breakfast, and they even prepared us a lunch of sandwiches, fruit and chocolate for our journey. You won't be in the snow after Feb, but who cares, when it is so close. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2010

A family run hotel with very high standards. Lovely rooms, excellent facilities and delicious food. The hotel is well sited and convenient and we were given a very warm welcome

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Restaurant Schutzen
#2 of 20 in Wengen
Hotel Belvedere
Hotel Belvedere
#9 of 20 in Wengen

Been to Hotel Silberhorn? Share your experiences!