“Reasonable value for money”

Arundels Boutique Bed & Breakfast Accommodation
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Arundels is a pleasant old two storey house on a suburban street a few hundred metres from the centre of Fremantle. It is only attended during the day and otherwise access is via a code pad at the front door and for each room.
It is a curious mix in that it has more the detachment of a hotel but with the awareness of others moving around adjacent bedrooms.
The breakfast was basic but adequate.
All in all it was reasonable value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 October 2012

I debated about even leaving a Review because I didn't want this little gem to get so popular that we couldn't get in again.
I read all the reviews on here and was really undecided about booking,but as Perth is so overpriced for getaways at the moment , I thought," how bad could it be" I am glad I chose to book, I booked a king bay room and my initial comment on entering the room was "WOW" beautiful high ceilings with amazing ceiling rose, delightful iron king size bed, huge Telly, fridge lovely fireplace, 2 sweater sofa(a little chintzy but very comfy) and a spotlessly clean bathroom and spa. My towels were not threadbare the room was spotless and the continental brekky included cereal,toast,pastries,yogurt,juice and a great coffee( a small tip is go he double shot)
Keyless entry was simple to use, just listen to the instructions given and it is easy to use, you do need 2 hands to open door so put your bags down, you do hear it being operated by other rooms but every one on our floor was in by 10.30 so it wasn't an issue for us.
Staff were friendly and helpful,I was running late and got a courtesy call to make sure I was ok and not lost somewhere in freo.yes 1 was smoking but that was outside and away from the building,no problem in my opinion.
Parking is tight in the car park, I drive a fwd and was given the tip to reverse into the bay, easy as. If the car park is full there is heaps of street parking, unpatrolled fom 4 pm to 10 am so no need to do an early morning dash to move the car.Good liquor store over the road and only a 5 minute stroll to Freo's eateries.
I can't comment on other rooms but the king bay on the top floor was lovely and I will book again.if you would like a b and b with character and charm which includes the odd creaky floor board then book here, if you want a standard sterile hotel room i would recommend you go elsewhere. I loved this place and am definitely going to go back and stay

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lalapurple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We stayed in the executive suite. The actual unit was quite good and seemed clean and reasonably well apppointed for the price, especially given its convenient proximity to the centre of Fremantle. However, there are a number of issues which soured our stay. On driving into the car park, our initial impression was not helped by the staff sitting around having their smokes near the carpark. We are very sensitive to smoking in general so we felt like the rest of the stay in the apartment was tainted by cigarette residues particularly with dirty ash trays left on tables outside apartment doors. We then found that the TV operated very intermittently due to poor reception. We were told that this was due to the interference from the nearby hospital. Only DVDs coud be watched as a result. Some of the furnishings were also not up to scratch e.g. poor quality sheets, only two thin blankets, thin towels, bathroom door could not be shut properly and toilet seat was coming off its hinges. The street in which the hotel is located is quite rundown. While this may not be a concern to some (and indeed may be considered to be part of the atmosphere of old Fremantle), we expected better. We were also kept awake one night till after 2.00am by very noisy neighbours.
If we happen to visit Fremantle again in the future, we will definitely stay somewhere else even if it costs substantially more.

Room Tip: see our comments above
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank DavidH22753
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Convenient location and very nice apartment. It is relatively new and with a modern renovation. Walking distance to all shops, cafe and the market and also not far to the water front. Noise was an issue. The deluxe apartment is next to another big room and in the evening, people gathered outside to chat and drink, right next to my entrance; and their voice is relatively loud. Luckily, my bedrooms are upstairs and allowed me to go to sleep.The bed is quite bad in a deluxe apartment and we had sore lower back every mornings. I went during quiet season and pay only $200 per night , and with that in mind, the value is excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2012

yea the towels weren't up to much but value for money you can't go past this place. The room was large enough, it was quiet, it is central to everything, staff are fine, they leave you to your own devices, breakfast was pretty good, no complaints there, overall would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Robyn B
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I wasn't planning to write a review, but having passed my thoughts on to the helpful cleaning staff and not receiving any follow up from management, I have decided to share. Unfortunately, this place has seen better days. (I've stayed a few times over the past 4 or so years). My sheets were thread-bare and torn around the edges. The pillows were dirty and didn't have pillow protectors on them. The ironing board cover was falling part (this matters when you need to iron business shirts). Cleanliness was pretty average. I was asked to arrive by 4.30pm when reception closed (stressful when on business!) They provide 2 thin blankets - which is not enough when it's 2 degrees outside (I don't like to sleep with the heater on all night). Overall, $205 for a room in a B&B with such standards seems very cheeky. Staff pointed out that they are cheaper than a neighbouring alternative - but that didn't help make my experience any less unpleasant.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Frequent_TravelerAU
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I'm going to start this review by emphasising that different things matter to different people in hotel accommodation, so I can only review my accommodation at Arundels based on what I experienced. Some of these things may or may not matter to others, but that's the great thing about Tripadvisor - getting information that you don't glean from websites or brochures.

First the good. Room was clean, bed large and comfortable, bathroom had a spa with shower. Large TV mounted on the wall. Unlike some other reviewers, I didn't have a problem with the keyless entry, especially once I got the hang of it. It's also on a quiet street away from the main cafe/restaurant strip, but still within a 5 minute walk.

The not so good. The room I had (203) was located next to the dining area. Though the dining area is not used during the evening, the coffee machine emits a loud buzzing sound that is clearly audible in the room. Fortunately I had earplugs which drowned the sound out but I feel for anyone trying to sleep without them. There was no one at reception after 5 so I couldn't contact anyone for help with this issue (and I didn't feel it was worthy of an emergency contact call).

I also think that an establishment calling itself boutique needs to have a better look at the toiletry situation. I think it's unacceptable to have the dispensers on the wall and no soap provided. This is more common in a budget hotel.

Overall the room was fine and fortunately I had earplugs to allow me to drown out external noise from the coffee machine, but I'm not sure I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper or don't have earplugs avoid room 203.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business