“Cramped and unimpressive!”

Ranked #4 of 22 Fremantle B&B and Inns
Napier, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
“Cramped and unimpressive!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Was not really impressed at all. We were flying out at 6am so had to leave at 4am and so I asked the lady of the house if they could leave the door to the breakfast room unlocked so we could access this before we left the next morning which she said she would check with her husband as he normally got up and set up for breakfast, we just needed bowls and spoons and milk as we had our own cereal. She said if she did not get back to us then take it as being ok and the door would be unlocked. So the next morning I went to open the door and yes you guessed it, it was locked! So no breakfast and no food til we got on the plane which was about 7.30am by which time I had a screaming migraine! The shower room is described as small, huh I am a hobbit and there was little room in there for me let alone a 6ft2 husband! I think the owners are people intolerant as they do not appear at all unless they are coming from behind the locked door to open the front door and then you have to be quick to nab them before they disappear behind the locked door again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robyn B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

Although we only stayed one night - I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The building is lovely and beautifully cared for. The room was more than comfortable with one of the nicest beds I've slept in. The in-room facilities covered everything I needed or wanted and even a sachet for hot-chocolate was provided (it was just what I needed).

The breakfast was topnotch and more than expected. Continental with a wide assortment of cereals, breads all toppings and fresh breakfast yogurt and fruit - a lovely touch. Coffee was great.

There was a DVD library (free), books and of course, TV.

I was in the area on business and didn't need to chat to anyone and I liked the process of receiving a txt message with the details regarding how to enter the building. In fact, we didn't see another person and it almost felt like we had the whole place to ourselves! There were other people there, we heard them come and go throw the front door but for for me, the privacy offered was a good thing and I prefer it to the places where it feel like I am using someone's spare room.

I have no complaints at all and no suggestions - and if you are looking for a very comfortable bed in a beautiful room, within a quiet house; where you don't need to chat to anyone else, this is for you!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Jeni H
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

A great example of the lack of available, affordable accommodation in Fremantle. The woman who ran the place was extremely rude and pushy. The breakfast was ok and the rooms were clean, if your desperate give it a run.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Beard83
Peter D, Manager at South Beach Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the reviews had been going to my step-son who used to manage the property and I wasn't seeing guests' comments. The matter has now been rectified.

In late April 2012 an Irish couple took over as managers of heritage Cottage. After the initial settling-in period and some fine-tuning, everything appears to be running very smoothly. This is reflected in the latest comments from guests through Trip Advisor and certainly in the Visitor's Book at Heritage Cottage.

We sincerely apologize for any problems which occurred during this period.

Kind regards

Peter Donovan
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed for eight nights and could not fault the service,hospitality and tranquility. The friendly way that we were treated could only make us recommend the place to all!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Kirkbymoorside, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

This B&B is fine if all that's required is a comfy bed. There is very little space in the rooms for any luggage, and the shower room is tiny and rather shabby. Although tea and coffee making facilities are provided, everything is squeezed onto a high shelf, or in a cupboard, which makes having a cuppa a bit precarious.
Breakfast is self-service in a lovely little annexe, and is good - but so impersonal. We found it very strange that no-one is around at all; no welcome, no help if needed, and nobody to see you out. And nowhere to sit and relax except your bed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I stayed in the May room for three nights in December for an early xmas family visit.
I had never stayed in a B&B before but had to as everywhere in Fremantle was booked out- and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
I booked on the Internet and received phone confirmation and access/parking details from the owner as I flew in on the red eye.
The room was spacious with a huge comfy bed and a great breakfast was served in a lovely court yard. The service was discrete and unobtrusive -and the room and cleaned beautifully each day.
A big bonus is that a free city bus stops over the road and a gorgeous swimming beach is at the bottom of the street.
Fabulous!

Room Tip: May room was great
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed in Samson room for one night , thought for the quality of what was offered it was expensive , but then that seems to be the way in Western Australia- it was actually the only accommodation we could find in the Perth/ Freo area for that night. It was strange , having run a B&B myself , that we never met a single person ie the owners during our stay. Let ourselves in after ringing the owner as per the sign on the door , found our room , made our way to bkfst in the morning , then checked out as already paid , all without sighting anyone - so much for the personal touch of staying in a B&B. The room was small but very pleasant , nice big comfortable bed, coffee facilties and fridge tucked away in small cupboard, TV didn't work properly but didn't matter, but the bathroom facilites dated and shabby , tap coming loose , discoloured mirror , towels that had seen better days and the most tacky of all a plastic shampoo and soap dispenser attached to the wall beside the shower. They obviously don't worry about the 'finer touches ' when running their B&B. A bit far out of the main fremantle town but the Cat bus was very good.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple