“Very nice place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fremantle Bed and Breakfast

Fremantle Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 22 Fremantle B&B and Inns
Zurich
“Very nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed there for two nights and were very happy. The room was comfortable but small (Jocelyn) and the two shared bathrooms are really luxurious. Also the breakfast is nice. Peter, the owner, is very friendly and helpful. The B&B is very well located. Close to the Cappuccino Strip and almost just over the road leaves the Expressferry to Rottnest Island which we visited on a Tuesday. (Cheaper rates then usually) Don't forget to check your Email and Mobile, because you will receive the code for the door. Without it you will not be able to enter because there is no reception. We liked the Fremantle B&B and Freo very much and would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Peter D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you for your comments. When our guests are happy, I'm very happy.

All the best.

Peter Donovan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

Pros: location is near fremantle market, accessible to the harbour and places of attraction.

Cons: on the day of checkout on 28 apr, we placed a do not disturb sign on our room door and went out for a short tour. Upon returning around 11.30am, we went back to our room and found that our baggage and personal items have been removed and placed in the living room. The lady and the young man who were present, said that all loose items were placed into a plastic bag. This bag contained our face and body creams, toiletries, sandals, and mobile phone charger.

To our dismay, one of our items, which was a paper bag containing an unopened new box of chocolates, was missing. This bag of chocolates was supposed to be meant for my mother. If we understood what they said correctly, the chocolates could have been treated as rubbish and thrown away.

Unfortunately, it was this incident that this review would be focused on. Hence my advice for other travellers would be: keep all your valuable items locked to ensure no items go missing once you leave the house. As for us, we will treat this as a lesson learnt for future trips.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Peter D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
In response to the review submitted by the guest, I wish to state the following :

The guest had breakfast at our B&B and then went out, taking the key with her. My housekeeper arrived at 10am to service our rooms and reported that the guest's possessions were still in the room. I tried to ring the guest on the international mobile phone provided but I couldn't establish contact.

Our policy clearly states that rooms are to be vacated by 10am on the day of departure to enable our housekeeper to prepare the rooms for the incoming guests. At no stage had the guest asked for a late check-out.

I authorized the housekeeper to move the guest's belongings to the ground floor and to service the room, which she did. I had to go out and when I returned, I was told that the guest had returned at 11.30am and were not happy that the belongings had been moved. The guest said that some chocolates she had purchased were missing and my housekeeper advised her that everything from the room was here and loose items had been placed in the plastic bags.

I managed to contact the guest by leaving a message on her mobile and found that the guest was at the airport ready to board an overseas aircraft. I advised the guest that she had taken the key to her room and , when I requested she post it back to me (I would pay the postage), the guest advised that she was leaving it at one of the international counters at the airport. The keys are marked "Not to be duplicated" and are expensive to replace. When I contacted the airport they were unable to assist with locating the key.

I strenuously deny the accusation that he guest's property has been taken by me or one of my staff.There is a possibility that the chocolates, which I understand were in a plastic bag, may have been placed in the rubbish bins. I have been through our bins and have not been able to locate them.

It is so easy for someone to make accusations of this type and it is difficult to refute them. This, by the way, is the first complaint of this nature, ever to be leveled against me or my staff.

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I agree with others that the location is central but they fail to mention the street cleaner that does laps outside the property from 6am to 6:30, the garbage truck that picks up a skip at 6:45 on some mornings and the club rooms(?) across the road where guys in hoods hang out talking and jumping rope each night and some early mornings. Add to this issues with room temperature (other guests appeared to ignore signs and fiddled with the central air con control so it was 25 degrees one night) and guests making coffee directly outside our room before 7am and i had one of the worst nights sleep. I would suggest putting fans in the rooms to allow guests some temperature control and this would help with noise somewhat too.
The place was unstaffed during our stay and the stand-in guy difficult to reach. So we missed the wonderful service everyone else raved about. We also had to poke around and help ourselves a lot; without tripadvisor we would not have known about dvd player in the room and i took 20mins to locate a hairdryer. A guest information sheet would help with this.
As others have said, the rooms are cute and clean but small so you would struggle to fit a suit case; we had a large duffle bag.
I don't recommend.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MELtoUnknown
Peter D, Owner at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Thank you for your comments.

Our B&B is in the West End of Fremantle, close to the entrance to Fremantle Harbour.The University of Notre Dame is also in this area.

The garbage trucks travel along Mouat Street nearly every morning. There is a courtyard directly opposite the B&B where the rubbish skips are located. These skips are normally emptied 3 or 4 times weekly between 6 and 7.15am. Having made numerous complaints to Fremantle Council over the years, there is nothing more I can do.

There is a large air-conditioning unit on the roof which controls the Tarantella Suite on the top floor and the 4 rooms on the first floor. The controls are ion the first floor and have a notice requesting guests not to alter the settings in any way. Unfortunately, our guests do alter the settings from time to time which affects all 5 rooms. I cannot put a cover over the controls as the thermostat is within the controls.

I agree that it would be better for all rooms to have ceiling fans and we are currently looking into this matter.

We are a class 1A heritage-listed building are do not have a lift or disability access. There are numerous stairs to negotiate to reach the accommodation areas. We are up-front about the size of the rooms especially the compact twin share Dudley Room. All other rooms are comfortable and, although not huge, are comfortable. There is provision in each room for luggage.

My wife and I finally had a 1 week break interstate and a relief manager ran the B&B. He did not live on premises but was within telephone reach if required. I apologize if there was a problem with the luggage.

There is information in the drawers of each room relating to the dvd/tv operation. The hair dryer is either on the shelf or in a drawer in each room.

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

My stay at the Fremantle Bed and Breakfast was lovely. The host, Peter Donovan was very friendly. The room was delightful and the b&b is in a great location. Just a short stroll to the park, Cappuccino strip and shops.
I recommend this accommodation to anyone who wants to stay somewhere with character.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank chris513
Peter D, Manager at Fremantle Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Thank you for your comments which are greatly appreciated.

Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

What a beautiful building, with a wonderful host, in a perfect location. I was based in the 'turret' at the top of the house, which is simply gorgeous. Spotlessly clean, crisp bedlinen, own bathroom; friends who live in Freemantle came to see it - and they want to book in and stay there themselves! I cannot praise Peter enough for his attention to detail and for his kindness - he helped me out personally - well above and beyond the call of duty. He takes huge pride in his work and people who stay here reap the benefit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank BambiIreland
Your comments are appreciated.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Peter Donovan was a delightful host, doing his utmost to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. Rooms were clean and airy, breakfast buffet just like you'd get in England. Only (minor) downside is that the 4 rooms on the first floor shared 2 bathrooms - so we had to time our visits to the shower accordingly. It was no problem, but not quite as nice as having "en suite". No doubt there are rooms with their own bathroom.
Good value for money and well located - just a stone's throw from the sea front / harbour and a short walk to the quaint shopping streets of Freo.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

Our stay at the Fremantle B+B ticked all our boxes. The price was right, the breakfast spot on to get the day started, location to all we wanted (Rotto Ferry, town centre, Little Creatures Brewery) could not be bested and Peter was a great host. The only tiny point i would make was that the AC was quite noisy in our room. Didnt stop us sleeping soundly though! Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011