“Classy alternative to backpackers”
Review of Norfolk Hotel

Norfolk Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I like to pedal along the Swan River to Fremantle during my regular Western Australian visits. Last year's backpacker choice was disappointing. This year, Norfolk offered some class with the stylish, comfortable, upstairs rooms in variance with the typically Australian Colonial exterior.
The open-air bar seating is appealing aiding an overall convivial atmosphere.
The location is handy to the fishing port and popular haunts including popular Little Creatures brewery/restaurant.
I elected to dine at Norfolk choosing a soft Thai beef salad washed down with an appropriate Western Australian red. (WA is arguably the choice of Australia's wine regions.) Breakfast was not provided but I could have tea or coffee in my room and several excellent breakfast cafes are nearby. I feel nostalgic penning words about this place. Expect me to return and treat myself.

Room Tip: Choose room with en suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bikingroy

Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed here recently and if you are looking for clean rooms, good location, and reasonable rates in Fremantle this is a good option. I took a room with a bathroom which costs a little more than those with shared bathrooms - but it was worth it in my opinion. Not only did you get your own bathroom - the rooms are really big compared to the others.
Really good location and the pub itself is lively with a great restaurant and great bar.Only downside was that there was some noise at night given it is a pub - so if you are a light sleeper and go to bed early - then this may not be for you. The bar etc did close around midnight - and after that it is very quiet. See photo of hotel taken from across the road. Note: This is a Pub you are staying at.

Room Tip: Go for one with an ensuite
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LassiComeHome
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Had dinner last Saturday night at the Norfolk. I have never had better service anywhere. Eight people behind the bar meant no waiting. They where all very friendly - congratulations to the management. Then I got my meal and it was one of the best bits of fish I have ever eaten. A must visit or you have missed out on a great night.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 3 April and it was very warn, booked in the Norfolk Hotel after reading the reviews, the place itself is very nice, we stayed in room 4 roadside, the room was one of the smallest I've stayed in, including backpacker hostels (twin rooms there to) there was no aircon in this (or any other room to my knowledge) and the fan that was in it wouldn't blow out a match, we spent a VERY uncomfortable night there, in which my mother in law ended up going out side cos it was cooler there, I personally don't think this place warrants the $140 a night price tag, as you also have to share the showers and toilets, there's only one of each the the ladies, and they are really small, in the blokes it had one toilet and two showers, which were bigger than the ladies, but needed a little maintenance, having spoken to the manger/owner (not sure which, sorry) he said that he would look into the showers and fan in the room. Overall a think this place is over price for what you get, but that is a personal opinion. Would I recommend or stay here again, no

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Solly619
Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

Although did not stay in the hotel this pub has a nice under cover outside beer garden where you can sit back and enjoy a drink and a bite to eat.

I liked the tables and chairs to sit around and with a pint of beer at $8 I still could complain but I payed $4 more at another pub in the city.

The food menus looked great, a bit pricey but the meals looked and tasted great. Perth is fast becoming a ridiculous expensive place to live.

The Norfolk is well placed In the heart of Fremantle with a short walk to everywhere.

The staff were really nice and friendly which added to my enjoyable visit.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The room we stayed in was a great size, big, modern, very clean and well appointed. Was surprised to find the extras of a fridge, ironing board and tea and coffee making facilities. However when it came to sleeping this was a different story. After a very warm day with no breeze I was awoken at about 11pm by banging. This noise got louder and consistent as I tried to figure out what it was. Finally realising at about 3am that it was infact the windows banging due to the wind, which unfortunately meant no sleep for me.

Also if you are a woman by herself I wouldn't want to recommend entering the building from the car park entrance at night.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Spongeeone
Reviewed 10 January 2013

The staff was really friendly and helpful, our room renovated and with a modern interior. Good quality bed and linen. Small but functional bathroom. You have to be aware that you are staying in a pub, which tends to be noisy on weekends, but the bar closes at midnight. They do not serve breakfast, but recommended a good place nearby.
Food in the restaurant is also quite good. If you do not like to sit amongst the crowds on the terrace, there is quieter sitting inside.
If you cannot avoid staying in Freo, and are staying one or two nights, this would be an option I could really recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple