Terrace Central B&B Hotel
Esplanade Hotel Fremantle - by Rydges(Fremantle)(Great Value!)
  • Pool
Quality Suites Fremantle(Fremantle)(Great Value!)
US$114
Be. Fremantle(Fremantle)
  • Pool
Norfolk Hotel(Fremantle)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsterrace suitegreat air conditionergreat locationbreakfast roomwalking distancebus stopparking is limitedblue cat buswifi worked wellself containedbottle shopthree nightsfreo marketstwo night stayheritage buildingcentral fremantlegreat place to stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I had very mixed feeling about this accomodation. I many ways it .is a very nice place. The room was nicely decorated. There was free internet and a good cold self serve breakfast. It was quiet. They even helped with the luggage. It was close to the center of the tourist area. And it was a reasonably priced relative the alternatives. ... But, there were some hiccups. In thinking about this, I think it comes down to the fact the owner has a different sense of where the line of reasonable service ends than I. This is not necessarily a fatal flaw, but rather a matter of being willing to accept what I viewed as a reduced level of service or be willing to argue the points if you choose to stay here.

The major annoyance was the resistance to repairing the air conditioner (water needed emptying in this portable unit) in our windowless room. It was fixed once, filled up again, upon which "repair" was requested a second time with no result. To the hotels credit the weather was a bit cooler, and so was not so bad in the room the second time, BUT as a guest I was annoyed about the fact that this was not attended to. I don't think it unreasonable to have the option to control the temperature in the room, especially when there is no window to open. The first fix required a couple of interactions with the owner. Frankly, as a guest I don't want to spend my time arguing with the owner about such things.

Other paper cuts included 1) having the credit card charged months in advance for the full amount (especially since the rate of exchange happened to be very poor), 2) not getting much help with where to go to fax (post office does this) or print a multipage email (the library does this for a small fee) -- we had to figure this out on our own, 3) the comic scene of getting into the lobby from the outside -- far more trouble with talking through the intercom to the person you can see though the glass in the door than is resonable, and 4) overhearing the staff carping about guests drinking too much of the coffee.

In sum the management is something of a mixed bag -- very nice and helpful for items that they feel are appropriate, and really disinterested to almost challenging about things that they feel are not within the services they wish to provide.

They do seem to be trying really hard to be nice, it is a shame that they muck it all up.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank eugene00
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Great location and cleanless rooms. Manager speaks also Spanish language. Closed to tourist attractions and central rail station to Perth. I' m pleased to have found a free internet access.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank jokerafit
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We booked a 3 night stay in the Terrace Central on the B&B website for my wife and I and our 21 month daughter. This B&B was chosen for its excellent location, and fairly decent room pictures on the website. The wide selection of DVD's and free internet access were also a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, when we booked the room for 2 adults and 1 infant, our booking invoice did not reflect our infant. We thought nothing of it, as our room had 2 queen sized beds.

When we arrived at 6pm on New Year's Day, we were told by the manager that the B&B did not take children in that particular room which we booked. He said that there had been complaints from previous guests about noisy children, and so families were now restricted to rooms only within a certain wing of the premises.

However, out of the kindness of his heart, he would make an exception. In return, we were made to pay AUD$30 per night more for our infant. And had to make sure that our daughter was well behaved all the time while in the room. When my wife asked if he could provide us with a cot with the extra fee paid, she was told "not to push her luck".

Feeling threatened, and at the risk of being stranded in Fremantle at the height of the tourist season on New Year's Day night, we quietly paid. Till now, we do not know what the extra $30 was for -- especially since there was nothing extra provided for our infant.

If you're looking for a hotel with a convenient location, this is the place to be. But for the same price, you would probably be able to find a place with a more polite manager and most importantly, a place where hidden costs do not suddenly surface, beware...

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Wandering_Ness
Terracecentral, owner manager at Terrace Central B&B Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2009

These guests booked this accommodation on line. they selected a room listed "unsuitable for children" and did not mention or tick the box for extra person or child. they paid only for 2 adults. We charge $30 per night for children and this is clearly stated in all our advertising.
we make all our booking conditions very transperant and do not hide extra charges.
Children are welcome in our hotel we have rooms and apartments suitable for families.
All this information is on our website, I feel it is unfair to insinuate we misslead guests.

Reviewed 30 December 2008

The room and location were fine, however the front desk manager was arrogant and talked down to us. Based on the treatment we received, my husband and I would not stay here again, nor would we recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank marathonmomma
Reviewed 16 November 2008

We had booked this for our parents 30th Wedding anniversary celebration.

The room was supposed to be a Deluxe Suite and serviced daily. However, it wasn't serviced at all.

The waste bins were not emptied or bathrooms cleaned or towels replaced.

After arriving on Thursday 21st September it took a phone called to Reception on Saturday 20th to ask and request for fresh towels.

The furniture was a dated and needs updating or replacing.

Overall, it was very disappointing experience and they found the response from Management very poor customer service.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nobleschoice
jamesjac512, Owner Manager at Terrace Central B&B Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2008

I am sorry this guest was unhappy however I need to respond to this review as it is not accurate. The accommodation booked was a two bedroom executive apartment not a deluxe suite. It is a self contained apartment next door to my B&B and is serviced daily. This apartment was fully renovated in January 2008 and professionally decorated with all new furniture and fittings throughout. The style is retro maybe this elderly guest mistook this for "dated" . It seems this review was not written by a guest or anyone who has viewed the apartment and is very inaccurate even the dates don't match. You can view this property, with the description on my website.