“Go there!”

Pirates Backpackers Fremantle
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Pirates is a cozy hostel with personal style! It was the first hostel I came to when I visited Australia and I had an amazing start there!
I think the best thing with Pirates is the relaxed athmosphere and foremost the staff!!! They really care for you personally and I also had help to find my first job when I came there.
There are also scheduled activities almost every night which makes is easy to connect with people and find new friends. The activities vary from running trainings to parties, barbeques, beachvolleyboll and surfing. Simply, there is something for everyone! Regulary there are also organized trips from Pirates to backpackerprices.
All I can say is, if you want a kick-start in Australia, go there!!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 January 2012

My 1st time in Australia, my first hostel. It´s not modern, but has everything you need: kitchen, tv room, backyard with bbq, pool table, sitting areas where you can check your mails or chat with other ppl, enough doorms and facilitys. But that´s not the important thing. Which made my stay so great was the crew. I was scary and nervous about my new way of life, how to meet oher people, what´s goin on anyway... This crew cares about you, introduced me to oher backpackers, organised games (like volleyball, pool competitions with own rules, trips to amazing areas, bbq nights, parties with special topics...) and helped me to get a job, at lest for 1 day. This is what you definitely won´t get in the most of the other hostels - and I was in a few. So big thanks to the crew which made my 1st stay so special.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Booked Pirates for 2 days and I remember a guy saying I'd be here forever and I laughed as it was totally not my plan. Erm, 4 months later I sadly left my new home and some awesome friends and had had a very memorable few months here. Not the best place for a good night's sleep (on the balcony) but that's not why we came to Australia...

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I planed to stay here over Christmas 2011 but I checked out after one day.
The hostel was filthy, the rooms and carpets stank and looked very dirty. The bed linnen smelt. The hostel was very run down and the bathrooms were disgusting. I was in a 6 share room and the room was an adequate size except I couldnt walk across the floor as the people staying there had their things stored all across the floor.
There was no air con and if the window was open it was next to the pub next door so very noisy.
The hostel had 2 bathrooms, a female only bathroom and a male bathroom. I am female and could never get into the female bathroom as it always had men in it. The shower was ice cold, I asked the other people staying in my dorm about the showers and they all said that the water was always ice cold.
The kitchen was closed from 10pm until 8:30am so if you are up early you are unable to get breakfast,
Reception is always shut and there is no common room or dining room, to eat you have to sit in the busy outdoor court yard. The court yard is very dirty, it has cigarette ends and used cans littered on the tables.
I was glad to leave!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
piratefreo, Owner at Pirates Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

This review is very inaccurate....some facts straight up in response ;

1. There is no pub next door. There is a cafe which closes at midnight
2. The hostel has more than 2 bathrooms
3. There are not always men in the female bathroom. In fact, we can easily say that in 2011 we did not hear of one complaint of men in the female bathroom. Furthermore the staff here have never seen men using the female bathroom
4. The showers have hot water....in fact, we have just "checked" prior to this response and there is heaps of hot water !
5. The kitchen is closed at 11pm and opens at approximately 6am. (we have found this to be the best way to keep the kitchen clean overnight)
6. Reception is open 9am to 6.30pm 7 days a week, with the night manager available outside of these hours at any time.
7. There is a common room and a lounge room.

In relation to the carpets, rooms and linen : The rooms are vacuumed regularly every week, during which we request all guests to have their items stowed on their beds and off the floors so all areas of the floor can be vacuumed, including under the beds. We also remove items left laying loose on the floor. The carpets do not stink and are not dirty.

In relation to guest's luggage, whilst we would love it every guest kept their items in their large individual lockers (provided to each guest at no cost) and off the floor, this is not always the case. We encourage people to keep their rooms clean but are not going to become strict enforcers constantly going into rooms chastising people for not keeping their belongings off the floor. It's just the nature of the backpacking game, that in shared rooms, not all people will be neat and tidy, as much as any hostel would love this to be the case.

The courtyard is constantly cleaned throughout the day. Unfortunately, with most guests smoking, cigarette butts do end up on the ground at times even though ash trays are provided at every table. However, throughout the day and evening these are cleaned up and it does not get to a "dirty" level.

Finally, apart from this one person, (and incidentally we could not see a 1 night only booking for someone from the UK over the Christmas period or the month of December), every person stayed for what was one of the best Christmas Days in Pirates. We even had people returning overseas specifically to be here for Christmas.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

Really good hostel, we had so much fun there! Could have stayed longer if we had had enought time. Friendly staff and cute cat!! Inner court was nice and people were hanging out there. Dorms were okay. Girls had their own bathroom which was good. The only problem was kitchen which was dirty and way too small. Great parties everyday! If going back to Freo, definitely going to Pirates!

Room Tip: We has two seperate rooms, one stayed in 8 share mixed dorm and another stayed in 6 girls dorm. The...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I spend a week at the pirates and I really loved it. The hostel itself is not too big and very cosy so its easy to get in contact with the other travellers and very soon you feel like part of a big family ;-). The rooms are nice, clean and you have a big locker.
Everyday there is some activity on which you can participate for much lower rates than in normal agencies or even for free (depending on what you want to do). Vaughen - the boss - is taking care of all this and he is doing really a good job. Thanks Vaughen for the fantastic time. Latest by joining one of the plenty things he offers...surfing, dune boarding, pinnacles....you will get friends with him and the other pirates. If I come back to Freo I will for sure stay there again!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I was arrived in this place after one recommendation, this was a real good one!!!
I had spend 7 months at Pirates and if I need to come back in Australia it's in this place I come first!!
I have meet a lot of great people, friends with who I have share a big experience. I can't forget this place. When you arrive in Pirates you arrive in home, it's not like a big backpacker where you know anybody. Here the staff introduce you in the different people who are already here. If you come in the courtyard you gonna meet new I hope for you some friends.
I really miss this pace!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends