“Fantastic Hostel! It really is ''a home away from home''.”

Pirates Backpackers Fremantle
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I cannot recommend this hostel highly enough. I initially came to Pirates with the idea of staying 2 weeks and 7 weeks later I find myself still here!! The friendly, welcoming and happy atmosphere is infectious with the hostel attracting (in my opinion) some of the best travelers in WA. The hostel owner Vaughn get really stuck into the running of the place organizing daily events each week such as; surfing lessons, sand boarding, wine tours, rock climbing, boat trips and many more. I will be really sad to leave this place and the lifelong friends I have made. Without sounding like a TV advertisement; If you are thinking of making a trip to Fremantle with its spectacular market and beaches your number one choice of accommodation should be Pirates Backpackers. You heard it here first!

Room Tip: Due to the hostel being built around a central courtyard some reviewers may say this hostel can be a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
piratefreo, Owner at Pirates Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Hey Thea. Thanks for such an awesome review ! Much appreciated.
It was really a pleasure having you here at Pirates and also great that you got involved in all the activities you mentioned. And I love your "TV Advertisement". Fremantle really is a must see place and in my opinion the best place to stay in greater Perth. And of course, Pirates is the place to be!
Enjoy your farm work and hopefully we'll see you back here!

There are newer reviews for Pirates Backpackers Fremantle

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Pirates really is such a lovely hostel. I've spent 3 months living here, truly a home away from home :) The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and I've met the best people here (my Pirates family)! The owner, Vaughn is very involved in the hostel, and organises a weekly schedule of fun activities and events, taking guests on little trips in his 11 seat 4x4, like wine tours, beach volleyball, indoor rock climbing, surfing, and sunset drinks at Kings Park to name a few! Everyone likes to hang out in the courtyard, which is shaded by a big beautiful tree, and has lots of plants and a jaccuzi in the winter months. Oh, and I cannot forget about Ceefa, the cutest old hostel cat! About once a week there is movie night in the TV room and everyone snuggles up on the couch with popcorn and blankets, so cozy! There's always something fun on for Saturday nights - tonight there is a big feast for everyone, with a lamb spit and beers! I will be sad to leave Pirates, it's such a unique and fun hostel, I know I will never find another one like it. I gotta give a shout out to Sarah, the lovely Irish receptionist (or hostel mom, hehe). Cheers Pirates, it's been a blast!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Ah Chantal ... it was so great having you here! You were a great character to have around the hostel and you are missed. Thanks for your great review and for mentioning all the trips and activities I do. For anyone reading this, just head to our web site to check on our current activities, or just give us a buzz, or simply pop in and check out what's on.
Enjoy the trip up North Chantal and make sure everyone behaves! Heh heh.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Really nice hostel with friendly staff and other guests. There was a good mix of short and long stay guests so easy to meet other people.
There is a kitchen with good facilities and utensils, a nice lounge area with sofas and TV (with a huge movie selection) and a big outside area with a HOT TUB!
It's very near little creatures brewery (they do free tours and tastings), fremantle prison (I recommend a night tour) and fremantle market.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks heaps for your review Hannah. So glad you enjoyed your time with us. And thanks for mentioning the Hot Tub ... it's definitely proving to be a winner! Enjoy the rest of your travels!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

this hostel is for the moment the best place i have been in australia so full of nice people so friendly was my home away from home... i met 15 people and now we traveling together ... australian dream ... and a massive thanks to sarah our manager and sister here... <3

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
piratefreo, Owner at Pirates Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hey Theo. It was great having you here.
It's exactly what I love to see happen, people making new great friendships as a result of staying here at Pirates. It's great how all 15 of you are now travelling up north together on the big road trip, although obviously sad to see all you guys go.
Drive safe and keep us posted on facebook with all the travel stories!
And thanks heaps for writing a review for us...much appreciated!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This hostel is a personal, warm, and friendly hostel. I only stayed for a couple of days but i felt right at home. The owner, Vaughan makes a great job to keep the good and unique vibe, there is activities a couple of times a week, and he makes an effort to get to know the people that are staying there. I joined on a hostel bike ride along the river along with which was a really fun experience! Keep up the good work!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
piratefreo, Owner at Pirates Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

G’day Ellen! Thanks heaps for your great review. It was great having you here for those couple of days.
Yeah the bike ride was fun, even if we did get rained on! By the way, I did drop off a photo of us all to the lady who took us all in out of the rain.
Well, if you get back to Perth, be sure to come and say hi again. We’ll still have all the activities going as always!
Actually, it’s a shame you’re not here this weekend, we’re having a Swedish Midsummers Luncheon with heaps of games, free champagne, cake and genuine Swedish food via Ikea!
Take care and thanks again!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I would definitely recommend Pirate's Backpackers to anyone looking for a place to stay- long or short in Fremantle. The hostel is a super warm space, filled with lots of friendly travellers who take you right in from the get go. I've been staying at Pirate's now for a week and I will be very sad to leave. There is something here for everyone- lots of activites, great location close to bustling Fremantle or South Beach and an awesome team who are willing to help you with whatever you need. To Vaughan, Sarah and the team - thank you so much for your hospitality and friendships!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
piratefreo, Owner at Pirates Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Hey Hannah. Thanks heaps for your great review. A pleasure having you here at Pirates.
Pirates will be even warmer now with the arrival of our Hot Spa! And thanks for mentioning the team ... they do an awesome job I agree. As the owner I love hearing that we've succeeded in giving someone a sensational stay!
For anyone reading this, feel free to pop in and check us out any time, or just check out our website with our current activities on the go.
Thanks again Hannah and take care!

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Pirates for nearly two months in total and I enjoyed every single day of it! Due to the small size and the really friendly and caring staff it became like a home very quick! Vaughan the owner of the Hostel sets up an entertainment program every week and it can go really fast that you suddenly are a judge of a 'Pirate's got Talent Show'. So if you look for a great time with amazing People you definitly should go there!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
piratefreo, Owner at Pirates Backpackers Fremantle, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Ah thanks Lisa for your great review! It was great having you here. And thanks for mentioning our now famous weekly entertainment program....we’ve still got them going every week. Shame you guys are not here for this weekend when we have our Hawaain Party! Well enjoy your travels up North and hopefully we’ll see you back here soon! 