“Working Farm Tour”

St. George, Utah
6 attraction reviews
“Working Farm Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

While in Akaroa, we joined a tour of the Paua Bay Farms. We found the tour very interesting and well worthwhile. The family that owns the farm and bed and breakfast willingly opened their home and their lives to us and shared their feelings about what they did. What a great example of perseverance they were to us.

We would highly recommend this tour to anyone that wants to get to know a little bit about the people and the farming industry of this area.

Visited February 2014

San Bruno, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Best tour of our cruise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

This tour, known as the Paua Bay Farm tour (to those booking through Princess Cruises),still has my husband and I talking about it many days later, and Highly recommending to all. We have met many vacationer cruisers on their way to New Zealand and have told them this is a not to be missed tour. The views from this property is truly breathtaking.

This comprehensive tour which is led by a seventh generation sheep farmer is fascinating. Details on the science of raising sheep and grass were fascinating. It shows the hard life of this family, as he goes back through history of this land.

After a demonstration of sheep herding and shearing, we were treated to scones and coffee and tea by his wife and other family friends. This was served at their home, in their English garden, which is also a bed and breakfast.

On our next trip back we would take this tour again just to get an update on the family and it's farm.

Edmond, Oklahoma
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“A highlight of our trip to New Zealand”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I spent a wonderful few hours visiting this working sheep farm. As other reviewers have noted, the chief highlight is the owner of the farm who tells his family story of multiple generations who have been sheep farmers in Akaroa. We all had the opportunity to have our picture taken hugging a sheep, who was then summarily shorn by our host. On to a sheep herding demonstration, followed by tea at the family home. It was great to have the opportunity to meet New Zealanders in their own home, and to enjoy the beauty of Akaroa. This was definitely a cruise highlight.

Wilmington, Delaware
“A delight in all ways”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

A highlight of the sheep farm tour was hearing owner Murray Johns speak passionately and humorously about how the farm passed down from generation to generation. During the sheep shearing demonstration, we were invited to hug the sheep. "It keeps her happy", said Murray, and it made me happy too. Great photo op. Daughter -in-law Hannah gave a brief demonstration on the sheep dogs working their trade, racing up near vertical hills. It was so interesting, and I wish it had been a little longer.
Wife Sue graciously served home made, delicious scones, tea and coffee in her garden, which has stunning views all the way to Paua Bay.
This was a delightful excursion, organized though our cruise.

San Clemente, California
“One of my favorite tours!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

This tour was a selection as part of our cruise land excursions. I went with my well-traveled mother and both of us were so glad we chose this tour. From the drive over (which is beautiful) to our first meeting with Murray, Sue, and their dogs, I fell in love with the place! Hearing first-hand about life on their farm with 6 generations was so interesting and unusual. Watching the sheep shearing, and seeing sheep herding was so fun, then to have the homemade scones with jam on their veranda overlooking the South Pacific was just romantic. I wish my husband was there! The best part was their hospitality. They made us feel like we were their first visitors ever. I'd like to go back and stay as a B & B guest!