“Good, but book an en-suite room”
Review of Mulberry House

Mulberry House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akaroa
Mulberry House
Ranked #17 of 25 Akaroa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We arrived in Akaroa late afternoon on a Friday, so the Tourist Information office had a bit of a job to find us a place to stay and the only room available at Mulberry House did not have an en-suite bathroom, however Anne, our hostess, showed us a very nice bathroom just along the corridor which she said would be for our exclusive use.

Our room was comfortable if a bit small - there was nowhere to put our suitcases except on the floor - and although the profusion of antiques in it were charming I would have preferred a bedside table. I was also a little disconcerted, when I went to the bathroom just before I went to bed, to find a strange gentleman had got there first - and hadn't locked the door. I had noticed earlier that the door was a bit tricky to lock, but even so...

Breakfast (cooked by Jack) was very good, but it was served at 8.30 - no choice, and we had no choice when it came to what the breakfast was. I very much enjoyed the bacon with pancakes & maple syrup the first morning, but the next day the bacon came with scrambled egg & toast - and I don't happen to like eggs for breakfast in any shape or form.

In brief, Mulberry House is very nice indeed and its proprietors provide everything they assume their guests would like. Maybe I am unreasonable in wanting my own choices when I am on holiday?

Room Tip: Make sure it's en-suite!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 January 2014

My husband and I recently stayed 3 nights in the Mulberry Room - nice quiet, comfortable room with en suite. Friendly hosts and good breakfasts on the terrace with nice view. Short walk to harbour. Enjoyed trip on sailing ship Fox2 recommended by Anne. Many thanks.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjnorthumberland
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We got there late in the day on a Saturday without reservation. We could not find anyplace to stay for one night, so we went to the Tourist Info Center. The lady at the reception contacted Anne the owner of Mulberry House who was not opened for that weekend. She accepted without hesitation to rent us a room for the night. The room was very confortable and Anne helped us with a restaurant reservation. Breakfast was delicious. Thank you Anne for your warm welcome.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linequiri
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We were looking for a venue for our family of 3 grownup kids, partners and ourselves to sit around and relax in one of our favourite family spots. We rented the cottage and the summerhouse to get the right bedding configuration. The quality of the beds, linen and furnishings were most comfortable. The cottage is self contained though access to a washing machine is limited if there are other guests in the adjacent cottage. A dishwasher would be a bonus perhaps in the future.
The hosts were kind and hospitable. We had quite a rainy week but the cottage has good space to cater for this. When the sun came out the verandahs were well served with luxurious bean bags to lounge on, a recommended activity. The gardens are well tended and provide a nice setting in this quiet little street.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Unfortunately our hosts were away while we were there otherwise maybe we would have had a better experience. No one was there when we arrived so I rang the mobile number I found & spoke with Anne, we were staying in the Summerhouse (separate from the main house) & found this ready & waiting for us, Anne advised me over the phone that we could use the pool as well. We then asked about a key for the summerhouse only to find out that they've never had a lock fitted to the doors in the summerhouse. While Anne reassured us that Akaroa is very safe it meant we didn't feel we could leave any type of valuables in the little summerhouse while we went out for a walk & had to take them with us. When we got back from our walk we went to use the pool but were sadly disappointed because on taking the cover off we discovered that it had not been cleaned & had algae in it. After being told that we "got lucky" to stay there by Anne because she doesn't usually take 1 night bookings we didn't feel very lucky unfortunately.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NaomiBUK
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We happened upon this gem just driving through town. Excellent comfort, delightful hosts, delicious full blown breakfast, and wonderful experience overall. Anne even shared a start of her beautiful flowers with our friends!

Room Tip: The Garden Cottage was delightful!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank FerndaleHikers
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed two nights in the garden house. It was very comfortable and the scent from the roses in the garden greeted us on our arrival. Our hosts were friendly and helpful. I can recommend this as a great place to relax.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple