“Fabulous Place to Stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akaroa
Coombe Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 24 Akaroa B&B and Inns
Hawaii
“Fabulous Place to Stay”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We spent 3 nights here and I plan to return. We stayed in the Shepherd's cottage and loved it! Katherine has made it so comfortable relaxing with all the right touches. We loved the outdoor footed bath tub and shower combo. The cottage was stocked with middle bacon, fresh farm eggs, and homemade cookies-just to mention a few treats. We cooked on the grill everyday and enjoyed reading on the peaceful porch to the sounds of the creek running by as we were serenaded by an abundance of local birds. Katherine's English garden is divine and the house is lovely to tour. I would not stay anywhere else.
Thank you Katherine and Hugh.

Room Tip: The outside bath and toilet room is a bit cool in early October but we loved it and would only stay...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Kapolei, Hawaii
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We visited Coombe Farm B&B at the end of September/beginning of October and had a wonderful time. We (my Wife and myself) stayed at the "Shepard's Cabin" and the other couple we were traveling with had the "luxury" King Suite in the main house. It was still a bit cool to really enjoy the lovely outdoor shower and claw foot tub at the cabin (at least for my Tropical clime Wife) with morning in the single digits (degrees C). We absolutely loved the cabin, with the attached loo and wrap-around deck. Down at the big house our friends had an excellent room with a darn near new bath. Heated towel rack and heated mirror, pretty fancy for me. The breakfasts were great and both Hugh and Katherine were great hosts. Being early in the Spring we were also in for the treat of seeing baby lambs, a close to newborn calf and in the morning of our last day, the sheep were in for a shearing. All this, and a nice hike up to their own waterfall, it was hard to leave.

Room Tip: From my experience all the rooms are great. But if you want a "real" retreat take the cab...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We had the loveliest stay at Coombe Farm. The farm house is simply delightful, surrounded by beautiful gardens in the very peaceful and tranquil Takamatua valley. The sound of the river and birdsong in the background made for an exceptionally relaxing, welcoming and homely place to stay.

I hope to come back one day to experience the Shepherds Hut and enjoy more of Katherine and Hugh's amazing hospitality.

This is a gorgeous place to relax and find peace away from the hustle and bustle of busy city life. Loved, loved, loved it and hope to come back soon.

Room Tip: The rooms are gorgeous. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is our second visit. This time we tried the shepherds cottage and my teenagers stayed in the house. Upon arrival Katherine treats us to Earl Grey tea and home made baking that was beyond divine. The Shepherds cottage is superb, you are surrounded by the best that nature has to offer. My son enjoyed a hot bath under the starry sky watching clouds race past the moon - tell me does The Crillion Paris or the Raffles Singapore offer that experience? Akaroa itself is literally a few minutes drive away, you can pop out for fish and chips, sit in a bar and look at the sea also, so I strongly suggest you get the best of both worlds and stay at Coombe farm, escape the usual motel offerings and book here, there is no way in the world you will ever regret it. Cleanliness, quality of food and overall hospitality are 100% in every way. Amazing! I couldn't bear to leave without re booking again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
johnshaft2000
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We had been going around in a campervan and thought we should give ourselves a night off. This place was perfect. Everything is fantastic and we wish we could have stayed longer. The location is great, the welcome was really friendly, the room beautiful, the bed comfortable, breakfast tasty. You get the idea. I could write a lengthy review praising how much we liked staying at Coombe Farm but if you are reading this and thinking about booking it... stop reading... just book it. You will be really glad you did!

Room Tip: We were in the main house which was lovely. Next time though we're going to try and get the litt...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My fiancée and I spent 3 nights at Coombe Farm over his birthday and we had a truly wonderful holiday experience. From the warm welcome when we arrived to our morning cups of tea, Kathrine and Hugh went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and at home in their beautiful B&B.
The B&B is on a working farm, which had worried me initially (I'm not the fondest of cows!) but my fears were laid to rest as we drove up to the house - the cows were well away in another part of the farm, and instead we were greeted into a beautifully kept home, nestled in the valley and overlooking the water.
Kathrine and Hugh's farm was wonderful fun to explore, and Kathrine was very helpful in recommending various activities and sightseeing tours that we could explore during our time in Akaroa.
The rate included breakfast; another treat (though I'm sure we have put on so much weight in 3 days with Kathrine's great cooking and Akaroa's fine dining to boot!). I have vegetarian and gluten-free dietary requirements but Kathrine catered to these without blinking!
All in all I would heartily recommend Coombe Farm to anyone wanting a first class B&B in Akaroa! Thanks so much for a great trip :-)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Becca F
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

We loved staying here last year. We stayed in the Shepherd's Hut and it was a wonderful, unique experience. The hut is rustic, secluded and peaceful but wonderfully comfortable. It was lovely to be able to cook and eat local salmon on the BBQ on the deck, followed by an outdoor bath under the stars. The ingredients supplied for (a self cooked) breakfast were delicious, varied and plentiful. It was hard to leave. We wish we could have stayed longer!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple