“A nice hostel in Akaroa”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Akaroa
Chez la Mer Backpackers
Ranked #13 of 24 Speciality Lodging in Akaroa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A nice hostel in Akaroa”
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We stayed here on our first day in NZ. This hostel is located along the street of Akaroa, on the right hand side if coming from Christchurch, opposite the McCrostie Akaroa and Shell petrol station. We nearly missed the building but quickly noticed the pink house, which was a good indication of Chez La Mer.
The building is really pretty from the outside, with a cute white wooden gate.
On the way to our room, we passed by a pretty little garden at the backyard and we needed to climb a stairs to the room.
We stayed in the queen room. It was a pretty room, nicely painted in lilac, with a large double bed and a single bed. The mattress of all the beds were super comfortable and we really had a nice sleep until morning.
This hostel provide free towels and they gave a free postcard of Chez La Mer too. The bathroom is quite small but very adequate and complete with shower. During our stay the hot shower was not functioning, since we just stayed there for 1 night we just let it go.
There is a common kitchen outside the room, small but well equipped.
This hostel provide free Wifi which was really a good thing during our stay (the only accommodation we stayed in NZ to give free wifi without time restriction).
However during our stay, I noticed the people who stayed there were a bit cold and unfriendly..I dunno maybe it's just me..
The lounge is rather small, I am not sure how it can accommodate more people during high season. I also noticed that there's a room beside the piano too.
Overall, we had a nice stay here.

Room Tip: Queen room with double and single bed
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed in a room with a double bed and a single for our daughter, and had an ensuite bathroom. This room was like a little attic in the upstairs of the charming building. It was decorated beautifully in lavender and white. The upstairs kitchen was a bit small, although we ate out and only used it for breakfast. The main lounge room downstairs looked very tiny and was jam packed with people - we didn't go in there but I think it might be a bit small for everbody. If the weather was nice the outdoor area is lovely. It is in a good location, with pretty well everything you need withing walking distance.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stayed for three nights in the delightful Chez la Mer Backpackers. The owner, Sarah and her staff made us feel very welcome, our room was very comfortable, the kitchens well appointed and the garden truly delightful. The only downside was the bathroom which had a shower that really needs updating, but this is a small matter compared with the upside of this hostel. In addition, Sarah's husband, Roy, captains the Fox II, a sailing ketch that provides great cruising in the Akaroa bay where you can see penguins. seals and the beautiful Hector's dolphins. All in all a great place to visit.

• Stayed February 2011
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I love Chez La Mer and Akaroa, New Zealand. I have traveled back to Akaroa 4 or 5 times, and every time I stay at Chez La Mer (I have checked out the other hostels and hotels, this is the best place!). I love the free coffee, the hot showers, the amazing outdoor picnic/eating area, the hammock, and cheap internet, and the fireplace room (for when that crazy NZ weather kicks in!). I have always thought the staff was great and helpful and definitely will stay again. Akaroa is also a great town!! Would recommend Peppertree cafe, a drink and trudys, a quick shop at the general store (supply store), and a coffee at Tree Crop Farm. I also love the hikes!! Writing this review makes me want to go back ASAP!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 26 October 2010

The host is fabulous and very helpful. There is a pretty backyard with flowers and a hammock that is wonderful to relax in. The location is hard to beat, on Rue Lavaud (the main street) but still not a lot of street noise. The rooms are charming. No rooms have bathrooms, so one downside here is that there are only two bathrooms, so during peak shower times it may be difficult to find one free. The only other downside is that the place next door sometimes has very loud music; however, they do turn it down before it gets too late. I was not here on a week-end. I would definitely stay here again. This hotel / hostel is not for people who want room service in a four-star, recently-built hotel. This is more for the bed-and-breakfast and hostel crowd. The price is very reasonable. Free wi-fi on your own computer. Access to their computer for a fee.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We stayed one night in a twin ensuite room (which had a double and a single bed) which at $90 a night was in my opinion and experience of staying elsewhere in NZ, WAY overpriced for what it was. The hostel is right next to a pub, but we were there on a Sunday night and there was not too much noise. We did hear some people outside and some noisy cars, but it wasn't too bad. In summer with windows open or if the pub had a band or was very busy this could be an issue. The double bed was comfy, but not enough blankets. The single bed was warm enough, but hard and old. Hot water bottles were provided which was a nice touch. The route to the bedroom was through the hostel, outside through the courtyard, up some external stairs and through a kitchen/hallway/computer room. In heavy rain it wouldn't be great, but we were blessed with lovely weather. The hostel itself is a nice old building with a little lounge with log fire and a dining area with a piano. There is a little garden area out the back which was pleasant. The kitchen was well equipped, not so clean but that's more down to the backpackers staying rather than anything or anyone else. As others have said the kitchen is small. The location is great and there is free parking outside on the road, although bear in mind if you have a nice car you are also parking outside a pub and on the main road through Akaroa. We had a query about the rate for the room and it was insulting to be asked (in a room full of people no less) if we were going to leave without paying in the morning and then have someone come to our bedroom the next morning to remind us to pay and then come back again shortly after to collect our payment. I had offered to pay the lower amount the night before and when the manager came in the next morning and could check the agreed rate to pay the balance if I was wrong about the room rate (turned out I was - I thought it was $10 a night less than it was). We are 2 women aged in our 30s and 60s - we were hardly going to make a run for it. I saw a dorm room off the dining area which had I think 3 sets of bunks in it. It was a fairly standard smallish dorm room as per hostels everywhere. It fronted on to the street, so was potentially noisy. We did have a pleasant enough stay at Chez la Mer, but I would not stay here again for the reasons stated.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2010

This hostel is on the main road of Akoroa and is very pink so you can't miss it. The kitchens (they have three - one downstairs, one upstairs and one outside) are small so you wouldnt want to be there when it was busy! The tea towels in the upstairs kitchen looked in need of a wash, or maybe even binning as they looked dirty.

The bed (dorm room) was comfortable, and they supplied two pillows and a hot water bottle which was a nice touch :) Although I was not sure the bunk i was on was completely safe as it was wonky when you looked at it and the joints didnt always fit properly but I am sure it was fine.

The main thing I didn't like about this hostel was that we actually felt like we were invading the space of the weekend staff there (we never met the owners so it may have been different during the week). They were not the most welcoming. They also tried to overcharge us - we are BBH member and they were going to charge us the non-BBH rate as they didnt even ask us if we were members until we questioned them. Then she still tried to overcharge us by a dollar until we pointed out it should be $3 less therefore $22 not $23! Also, when we got there we were asked who made the booking and I said I did and the weekend manager said "okay, you will be staying in the room through the lounge" and looked only at me and completely ignored my friend. We werent sure where my friend was staying due to her comment, but it turned out that she was staying in the same room, but it was as though she didnt exist as the manager only ever looked and spoke to me.

We went out in the evening to the pub (which is next door, we were sent to a restaurant by the hostel staff not a pub like we had asked!) When we came back in the evening we went to our car which was parked outside and were directed by the hostel team to come in using the back gate (which we knew) but I di find it quite funny that they wouldnt open the door but just wave at us to use the back gate when it was pouring heavily with rain and then we would have to stand at the gate getting wet whilst entering the PIN. I wouldnt mind, but it was the fact they could see us from the lounge and could have just opened the door out of niceness!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends