“Cold and dated”

La Rive Akaroa Motel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Akaroa
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Booked one night's stay in a two bedroom apartment. Although the room was clean, the heating (electric plug in) was inadequate for a cold winter's day/night. Decor and furnishings are dated. The room was quite depressing, with low ceiling and breeze block walls. It was too cold to take a shower as the bathroom window (inside the shower cubicle) couldn't close properly. Was disapointed overall, as rate was certainly not cheap.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for La Rive Akaroa Motel

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I found the experience here very enjoyable. The rooms were tidy and perfect for what we were paying for. Thoroughly enjoyed our long weekend stay here. Very relaxing atmosphere and just a short stroll to the centre of town.. will be back to stay for sure. Thank you

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I only stayed overnight but got a spacious comfortable unit for my auntie and I, got my bags there before check-in time and they were quite happy to keep them until the unit was ready. Overall it was a good experience, thanks Simon.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here early January and we found our studio room (little kitchen and bathroom with a queen bed) to be lacking. On the second morning there our room wasn't serviced i.e. rubbish wasn't emptied and no fresh towels/tea towel/dish coth. Furthermore, there was paint flaking over the shower and there was leaky taps over the handbasin.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank D M
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed here after Christmas and were pleasantly surprised. Having picked the room up for what was a decently cheap rate, we anticipated something akin to a large studio unit, and instead had a two-room family unit, complete with kitchen, which saved us having to dine out!
The room could have done with a fan to help cool it in the afternoon, as it got very hot, but the bed was comfortable, the rooms were a bit tired but not shabby and our overall impression was that we would stay here again if we had cause to go back to Akaroa.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I had stayed here about 20 years ago and I don't it has been decorated since except maybe new bedding and curtains. All the furniture was old and tired. The kitchen still had a formica bench and cheap appliances. The bathroom was clean but there was a hole in the old molded tooth brush holder. I wouldn't stay there again as it was very depressing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra G
Reviewed 20 April 2011

The only less positive thing I would say about this motel, where I stayed in early February 2011, is that the furniture and the equipment are not so modern. However everything worked well, the unit we had (we were just 2) was very spacious, beds were comfortable and pleasant, and the bathroom was very clean, like the whole unit.
The unit we had was on the ground floor where on one side there is the parking and on the other, a small grassy garden that guests can enjoy.
The area is very quite and peaceful and, although the motel lays in the entrance of Akaroa, it takes less than 10 minutes on foot to be in Akaroa's centre (Akaroa is really small, by the way, but very nice and pleasant).
In regards to the owners, we didn't have any problem at all with them. In fact we just saw them and talked to them when we arrived with out pre-booking from the Akaroa I-Site and we got the keys. So no issues at all. On the contrary everything was easy and we had a good sleep and stay. I would definitely stay here again, as what this motel offers is enough for me.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family