“Great location, diverse menu, delicious food”

Bully Hayes Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #5 of 29 Restaurants in Akaroa
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, International, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Bully Hayes Restaurant & Bar, Akaroa's Premier Dinning Spot. Open year round, seven days for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner or just a casual drink or coffee in the sun. Enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of Akaroa Harbour whilst you dine from any number of our indoor or outdoor dining areas. Sheltered garden area with childrens play area also. Specialising in comtempory New Zealand cuisine using fresh local produce with a mix of traditional and modern flavours. An extensive menu with alarge selection of seafood including freshly shucked oysters. Innovative and award winning cuisine all at prices to suit any budget. To compliment our dining menu we carry the" Monteiths" range of craft beers on tap and by the bottle along side an all embracing wine list and non alcoholic beverage menu.
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have gone to Akaroa several times and often eat here. It is open even in the winter when most places are closed. We have always have good service. There menu is very diverse, with a number of fish and seafood dishes, but also meats, salads and asian style dishes. On our most recent visit my husband had the red curry monkfish, which he thought very nice; it came with a large side of fresh vegetables. I had the sweet and sour crispy pork hock, which was really tasty. I found the skin too blackened for me, but my husband liked it. It came with oriental coleslaw and vegetables. There is a really good selection of wines by the glass, and it is very nice that you can choose either a small or a large glass. But the hit of the evening was the rosemary creme brulee with poached pear and marscapone; I iknow it sounds strange but it was absolutely fabulous. It was rich but not overly sweet. I highly recommend it. The food is not cheap but is excellent.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

On a cold wet day a hot hearty breakfast was the order of the day. Huge breakfast with homemade baked beans, kumara and corn cakes, eggs, spinach etc. too big for me but hubby loved however there will be no lunch today for sure. Menu is comprehensive and there is defintely something for everyone! Fantastic service from the staff, great water views except today was a rough sea and a yellow dinghy singing - oops! would definitely go again.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Breakfast for four on our last morning in Akaroa. Servings were HUGE and good quality although I think the toast could be slimmed down. Coffee was good and hot. Free wi fi available

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had to stop here and taste the soup. We had a wonderful seafood chowder-not my favouritekind- but this was delicious. THe views were good from the seating and the beer went down well a treat. Certainly worth it and we went back again for the soup etc.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Recommended from the hotel we stayed at (Akaroa Criterion) we gave Bully Hayes a shot and were not let down. I had the omelette and my wife ordered the Poached Eggs. Each of our plates were cooked perfectly and all the accompaniments were perfectly suited to our mains. My compliments to the service. We managed to sit at a table facing the water which made for a perfectly entertaining morning. We wish we could have had a few more nights in Akaroa.