“Amazing!”

Kokopu Estate
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I needed a place that provided a peaceful sanctuary for a meditation retreat I was doing, and The Gatekeepers Cottage did not disappoint. Not only were the surroundings beautiful, my hosts Wendy and Mark were fantastic, they went over and above in their hospitality and service, to provide me with everything I needed whilst giving me space and privacy to do my thing. I felt safe and secure, and had all my needs catered for. I loved everything about the cottage, it is beautifully maintained with quality warm inviting furnishings. I can't wait to return. I highly recommend this amazing place for anyone who wants a devine place of comfort while feeling connected to nature.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We had the pleasure of travelling to Akaroa last weekend and I had done some research on Trip Advisor as to suitable places to stay. Kokopu Estate had received some fabulous reviews so I guess it was with high expectations that we set off for Akaroa.

We arrived in the dark and found it a little hard to find with minimal signage apparent. We were greeted by a lovely Swedish couple who were apparently there to do the roofing. The owners had gone away for the weekend.

We were taken up to our accommodation, it was a particularly chilly night and it was freezing when we got inside but the place soon warmed up once the blinds were shut and the heater cranked up.

The bed was super comfy although unfortunately the heater in the bathroom wasn't working so it made things a little chilly in there.

We had opted for the cooked breakfast and asked for this to be delivered at 8.30. At 8.55 we were just about ready to chew our arms off!! so my partner went in search of the breakfast and found the lovely couple in the kitchen. The breakfast arrived not long after and looked delicious but unfortunately it was stone cold. The 2nd morning we opted to have breakfast at a café.

The accommodation was a in a lovely setting, unfortunately we missed the opportunity to experience the owners excellent breakfasts as per previous reviews.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emma P
hopefultraveller54, Owner at Kokopu Estate, responded to this review, 16 December 2014
Thank you for your review Emma.
it is unfortunate that we were away when you arrived, however we had a delightful Swedish couple Wwoofing for us. Their English was not perfect but they made up for it with enthusiasm and initiative.
Our guests normally tell us if they would like breakfast and I email them the menu before they arrive, so I can be sure to have all the ingredients. We live in a small town with one supermarket which closes early in the winter. As you had not requested breakfast we were not expecting to make it for you. The Swedish couple asked me about breakfast and I asked them to tell you that we would not be able to provide it for you as we were not there and did not have all the ingredients to do so. However they were eager to help so we trusted and hoped that they would do a good job. I am sorry that they failed to please and can only apologise in hindsight. They had been asked to turn on the heaters and lights for you as well, but that must have been lost in translation. Normally I make a point of turning on heaters and lights.
I hope that you will return one day and we can make amends.
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed in the Gatekeeper's cottage which was very comfortable and beautifully decorated. It was located in a garden setting with a stone patio. Our hosts Wendy & Mark were warm and friendly and made us feel at home. The family dog even joined us for a walk up the hill to the viewpoint. Great accommodation and we would definitely stay at this property in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne N
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed with Wendy and Mark at the Kokopu Estate and I found it to be simply charming! Firstly the little red cottage at the entrance to the estate is a rustic retreat not to be missed. Entering the property is like stepping back in time. The living room is cosy with comfortable chairs and sofas perfect for snuggly evenings with a good book and a glass of wine ( preferably Marks ). If it gets a bit chilly you can light a fire....wonderful! The main bedroom is tastefully furnished in keeping with the style of the cottage. The kitchen and bathroom are basic but have everything you need for your stay. Outside there is a babbling stream, beautiful gardens and fruit trees. A perfect place to get away from the stresses of modern day living and chill out.

The Gatekeepers Cottage, which is attached to the main house, is perfect for a romantic break. Beautifully decorated and cosy with a private courtyard. And if you are feeling lazy....Wendy and Mark will bring you the best breakfast you are likely to have in NZ. Scrummy!

The Potager Suite is a private room and bathroom in the main house. Again. ..beautifully presented with the most amazing bathroom. Breakfast is served in the morning in the main lounge where you can listen to your choice of music or simply enjoy the birdsong from the gardens.

Wendy and Mark are the most generous hosts and you will more often than not be invited to join them for some wine and nibbles before you set out for your evening meal. Their son, Steve, runs the family restaurant Vangionis, and I can thoroughly recommend that you have at least one visit during your stay in Akaroa.

There are plenty of walks to do in the area and if you are lucky Fergus the wonder dog will accompany you.

All in all the kopoku estate is a fabulous place to stay. ...not least because Wendy and Mark do everything they can to please you. I really enjoyed my time there and look forward to the day when I can return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Laupahoehoe, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

My husband and I stayed in their home for two nights in the Potager's Suite. Truthfully, this was the best place we stayed during our first three week trip to New Zealand. We usually do not choose to stay in B&B's because we enjoy our privacy, but we are so very glad we chose to do so. Wendy and Mark are terrific hosts and made us feel at home from the moment we arrived, and having privacy was easy. Immediately we were shown our lovely room and wonderful bathroom as well as the large living room where we also enjoyed our delicious gourmet breakfasts. the next morning we ate our breakfast with Pachebel playing and a fire in the fireplace. (Wendy asked for our music tastes first.) We also were invited to wander around the property, visit the vineyard and the sheep paddock. Do explore the trails, as they are wonderful. Actually awe-inspiring.

In the evening before we left for dinner at their son's restaurant, Vangionni's, (so wonderful we went back the next night as well.) we enjoyed sharing a bottle of Mark's own wine, snacks prepared by Wendy, and lively conversations with them and the couple who was staying in the other part of the house. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was fantastic, and the bath is certainly large enough for two to enjoy. (Wendy gave us a newly made mixture with rose petals to use in the bath. A very sweet, romantic touch.) Another plus was the reliable, fast internet, which we so greatly appreciated. Other places we stayed throughout our trip made that claim, but it was only consistently reliable here and at one other place we stayed. The property is so private and quiet, and we would love to return. Both my husband and I highly recommend this place and these hosts. I would be happy to answer questions you might have.

I should mention that both breakfasts were delicious and we were given several choices of what suited us best. We recommend both types of the crepes, the savory mushroom and the sweet kind with fruit. They have a friendly little non-shedding dog named Fergus who loved to join us on walks. Do not worry about seeing any animal hair anywhere. This place was extremely clean. The little town of Akaroa is so lovely and with the combination of this place to stay with Wendy and Mark, you can't go wrong. Stay longer than two nights. We sure wish we had!

Room Tip: The Potager Suite guests get to eat alone in the living room with a fire and lovely music playing. W...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

For us city dwellers, staying at the red cottage is a bit of a shock. We never realized that total privacy and creature comfort could coexist in such harmony. The cottage is well equipped and the garden is both beautiful and enigmatic, revealing itself at every turn. No TV, no internet, just you and your loved one to explore the wonders of this enchanted peninsula.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were a little surprised at the recent negative review from Travelbug95682. My wife and I along with our two daughters in their twenties were the "prior occupants" they mention.

Along with other Akaroa residents, we were also caught out by the torrential rain and fierce gales that resulted in the road closure, loss of power and phone. The local supermarket and all other businesses including the famous Akaroa fish & chip shop were closed. By midday of the day in question we were advised by the Fire Service that power would most likely be off until late evening and the road would not open until early next morning. Akaroa was isolated and in lock-down. As it turned out, the road reopened late afternoon, and power remained off for more than a day. Wendy the owner kept an eye on us throughout the storm and quite frankly we were grateful to her for offering us a roof over our heads during a difficult time.

The cottage, like many old cottages in NZ, is not the Hilton, but that is part of its compact charm. You park out the front and walk straight into the living room. Bedrooms are off to the side of the living room and kitchen. The toilet/shower/laundry area is an addition that worked well -- the corrugated iron shower walls were clean and serviceable and showed a sense of humour. Yes, there are steps inside, but if you are disabled it goes without saying that you should check the suitability of any accommodation with the owner.

We spent the days of the storm snug in our living room, enjoying reading and talking. The fire put out a good heat and there was lots of firewood. It didn't smoke if you set the logs back on the hearth, which most people would figure out. We had a couple of friends over for dinner in the living room on the first night without any problems (a meal prepared at home and reheated in the oven before power went off), and the cosy size of the cottage made for a memorable occasion. Candles during the power outage added to the ambience! (The TV and DVD player are in the main bedroom, but we didn't use them.)

It was great being able to bring our two dogs, and the wooden floors are easy to clean. The property is fenced but you would be wise to keep an eye on your dogs while they are outside, as a small dog could escape.

This cottage was more than comparable to other cottages we have rented previously, and we were delighted with the experience and would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family