“Nice sized apartment for four people”
Review of Broadway Motel

Broadway Motel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Picton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 January 2014

After a trip across the ferry this is a really nice stopover Motel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment which was a really nice size to relax in . We could walk the main streets of Picton and are there many very nice options for a meal which is good because the kitchen facilities are very basic. the hosts were lovely and helpful and in the office area there was a small book exchange system which was a really nice touch. It was a shame that we only spent one night because it is a really pretty spot and we would have loved to explore more. There is also a great playground for the kids (young and early tenagers) near the ferry terminal.

Room Tip: It is a port town so you will hear the train but the double glazing really helps to keep the noise t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I am extremely disappointed with the lack of customer service at the Broadway Motel. Our arrival was delayed due to cancelled flight from SFO to AUK (completely out of our control). We were supposed to depart 12/15, arrive in Auckland on 12/17, take a flight to Wellington, and arrive in Picton via ferry 12/18. However, our flight was cancelled without notice by Air New Zealand. We departed on 12/16 (1/2 day later than our initial flight), arrived in Auckland on 12/17 at 10 pm, and couldn't call the hotel until the next morning (the day we were supposed to arrive). We had no idea the flight was going to be cancelled, lost a day due to timezone changes + 12 hour flight, and despite all those factors, flights, ferries, etc., we still managed to call as soon as humanly/technologically possible to notify the hotel of our delay. At that time we still intended on staying, but wanted to do the right thing and notify the hotel of our delay to ensure the hotel was able to rent our room. The owners were thankful we called and told us they would email us with the refund information for the night that we were unable to make it.

However, instead the email told us that due to the fact we booked on Booking.com, we would have to cancel with them. IMPORTANT NOTE: We actually on Trip Advisor and the payment platform on the hotel's website uses Booking.com to process payments (also out of our control). Per the hotel's instruction, I called Booking.com despite international roaming charges, and spoke to a supervisor who was very helpful. They clearly stated they could issue a refund due to the proof of cancelled flight, but would need the hotel's permission due to their cancellation policy. I figured that would be no problem at all. I was surpised to receive an email from Booking.com stating that the hotel refused to offer a refund. I called back to speak to Donna, the owner, and was told that the owner was "unavailable". I then emailed them and in their reply, without explanation, the owner stated that they refused to offer a refund.

As a last attempt, I figured if I made it to their office in-person, they would understand my situation and work with me or at the very least listen to me as a paying customer. I took a ferry and a bus to Picton and personally visited the hotel location which was not impressive and a long walk from ferry terminal. When I arrived, an employee barely looked up at me and told me that the owners told her I might come in and that anything booked via Booking.com was "not their responsibility". The employee also laughed and said that I was at fault for not purchasing renters' insurance. She said I could continue to call, email, and pester them but that they still wouldn't offer a refund. What kind of service is this? I went above and beyond to notify the hotel of my flight cancellation and I was very saddened by the entire experience.

I understand if a hotel has a policy, I also understand that they have to follow them or everyone would bend the rules. I am a reasonable human being. What I do not understand is how, after trying to do the right thing, the hotel clearly state they could re-rent the room, and after I followed all their instructions, they still won't refund the room.I spent countless hours calling, visiting, and emailing the business, only to be completely disgarded and laughed at for my flight being cancelled. I did not choose for the flight to be cancelled. I did not choose to book on Booking.com. These are reasonable circumstances and good businesses should act on behalf of the client, not against them. This business should be thankful that I called in the cancellation, offer a refund, and understand situations arise that are out of your control. I truly was hurt and felt cheated by the misleading and unethical customer service, only to send me in circles, providing no explanation, and taking money for a room that was rented to someone else.

This is the worst customer service I encountered not only in New Zealand, but the rest of the places I have traveled. I clearly tried to do the right thing: calling with proof of cancelled flight, as soon as possible, with enough time to ensure the room could be rented. The hotel profited twice for the room, and to this day they have not made it right. I will advise my executive travel agency, blogs, social media and any other means of communication to prevent others from falling trap to this bad business.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Big_H_1, Owner at Broadway Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Sarah B – the cancellation policy is there to ensure fairness to both parties in this contract. From the guest point of view, they know that if they cancel within 48 hours of the booked date then they are liable for the first nights accommodation. From the Motels point of view, we will have at least 48 hours to resell the room in the case of a cancellation. The less time we have the less likely we are to resell the room.

In Sarah B’s case, she could have notified booking.com as soon as she was aware her flight was delayed, with no penalty. This can be done online or via the Booking.com call center any time of the day or night. She could have also cancelled when she first arrived in NZ but instead delayed it till the next day, dramatically reducing the time we had to resell the room. On top of that she expected a full refund which would have been totally unfair on our family business, given the fact that we had very little time left to sell the room.

To make matters worse, once she was refused a refund she tried to Blackmail the manger with negative reviews on social media. As we did not fold to this blackmail attempt, so she carried out her threat and put this negative review on trip advisor which is totally unfair

We go to great lengths to be fair to all our guests. If we had managed to resell the room we would have give Sarah B a full refund, but in this case this didn’t happen due to the fact that we had very little time to do this. We do not charge twice for the same room, as many guests who received a refund will vouch for, and we will not be blackmailed.

We do also offer accommodation insurance at $10 per night, but Sarah B chose not to purchase this or travel insurance, so she should accept the consequence’s of these decisions.

If any readers would like more details about this matter please do not hesitate to call me directly on +64 3 573 6563

Henry Kersten (Owner)

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We recently stayed at Broadway motel with a group of family & friends. The motel is handy to all amenities & the rooms were very clean. Our hosts were very helpful making for a most enjoyable weekend. We will definitely recommend this motel to others.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have stayed at six different accommodation venues in Picton over the past few years and the Broadway Motel compares well. The two units our family occupied were very clean and fresh and maintained that way throughout our stay. Picton is a small town and it is difficult to escape noise. The Broadway was less noisy than other places we have stayed at. It was pricey for what was provided, but that also is Picton. It was convenient having the supermarket across the road and it was a 5 minute stroll down to the foreshore and the excellent Maritime Festival which happened to be on the weekend we were there.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Last weekend we joined several other friends for a couple of days in Picton. We all stayed at the Broadway Motel. Everything about the Motel, including its management and staff helped to make it a memorable weekend that we will definitely repeat, hopefully sooner than later. We will also be recommending the Broadway as THE place to stay when in Picton.

Room Tip: I am sure the noise from the early morning train would be heard by pretty much everyone in Picton.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Someone advised us to stay in Picton rather than Nelson. Not really sure why. There is not a lot in Picton. Having said that the motel is very clean and comfortable with good kitchen facilities, free wifi and even a shaver point in the bathroom. The motel is in walking distance of the shops and restaurants. There is a railway line somewhere behind the motel but the trains don't seem to run late at night so this wasn't a problem. Good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This motel has very good wheelchair access, even in the standard 2 BR unit we stayed in. Staff very helpful. The access to the shower was wide and a shower chair supplied. Location is good and quiet. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ground floor 2 bedroom units have great access for wheelchair and wide shower access too!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Bay Vista Waterfront Motel
Chateau Marlborough
Chateau Marlborough
#5 of 32 in Blenheim
Harbour View Motel Picton

Been to Broadway Motel? Share your experiences!