Escape to Picton Boutique Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Marlin Motel(Picton)
View Hotel
All reviewsformal suitesea roomnew zealanddinner downstairspetit fourscomplimentary upgradeour honeymoonbath saltsfelt like royaltyeye for detailbeautiful roomshared balconyfluffy towelsstaff went out of their waybig bathroombeautiful place to staytwo nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 April 2011

The hotel was shut for an hour our so, but once we found the staff there, they were welcoming. Only 3 bedrooms but what a place to stay and relax. It is tastefully decorated and the bed was wonderful. The location is near the marina and sea. We stayed stayed in a suite which gave us lots of room to spread around. The spa bath was wonderful. Breakfast is a little expensive but beautifully cooked.

It made our last night in South Island very special.

Room Tip: If you want space and a view go for the suite!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We stayed in the Formal Suite. Beautifully appointed but not fussy. The Balcony is a nice touch and, being a corner room, the availability of flow through fresh air is a real treat. The bath IS georgous and with an excellent restaurant just down stairs we had the perfect romantic weekend.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2011

A group of 6 of us booked this boutique hotel out and we were greeted and treated very well. The three rooms each had a theme, and were decorated impeccably with attention to every detail. My only comments would be to have more outdoor furniture on the deck.Bar next door could have potential for noise although it was ok on our Saturday night visit. I can highly recommend this place for a couple or a group of 2 or 3 couples. Superb!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I recently stayed at Escape to Picton, a boutique Hotel and Restaurant.

I thought the units were 5 Star Plus, unique in decor and design. I highly recommend this establishment to anyone seeking up market lodgings While at Escae to Picton I was privileged to sample the wide array of cuisine frm fresh seafood, to vegetarian and of course. an amazing array of meat dishes.I recommend the ribs.The garlic bread came in lovely toasted thick slices, which was a neat change fron the ordinary bread roll style often served up in a crumby mess.

Situated within walking distance of the Interisland Ferry, rail and foreshore entertainment
"Escape" which I believe is an award winning Restaurabt will always be high on my list. To add to my delight a wonderful young resident singer "Eden" provided music while diners enjoyed their meals. Sounding like one of my favourites "Norah Jones", I couldnt beleive "all this for a pittance. Given the smart decor I found this to be value for money and was a pleasant alternative to the usual nachos and cream, chips etc. that I found at other eating houses around this small seaside town. There was an abundance of staff who appeared dedicated to giving excellent service whilst not getting "in anyone's face."
The high standard was a credit to the owner .
As a frequent traveller to Picton I consider myself lucky to have found "Escape" a perfect name for what I see as the No.1 eatiing establishment and lodgings in the area.
Robert

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2011

We stayed in this B&B for several nights over the holidays, as we explored the (fabulous) NZ South Island coastal areas.

The location is great - right in the central district and an easy walk from the ferry.

The rooms are also ok. Well done with reasonable amenities.

So why the poor rating? The problem is the management. For one thing, during reservations they insisted they charged upfront. Worse, they overcharged us for a dinner that we didn't order. When I tried to get this charge reversed it was like pulling teeth. It took almost two weeks before the matter to be taken care of, and only after repeated calls. They couldn't be bothered.

This was not a single occurrence - the attitude was prevalent.

When we asked for something we usually had to remind them multiple times. Nothing ever gets written down it seems. And their memories aren't so good.

Meals at the B&B is so-so. Not bad, but certainly not worth the price. That might still be ok, but while eating dinner there the manager came by and publicly lectured us against sharing food (we weren't - I wasn't eating dinner at all, but just watching my wife eat). We tried to explain this but got a lecture anyway. Apparently they think this is a backpacker's hostel - and that any guest might be stealing food from them.

At night you can hear loud music from the restaurant downstairs. Can definitely keep one awake if you are sensitive to such a thing.

Not a bad place in terms of location and rooms, but very poorly run. Has a strange negative feel to it. We've stayed at many better places in the area and I strongly recommend you give this place a pass and try other options.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank kakapo888
Escapetopicton, Owner at Escape to Picton Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2011

Hello Reviewer, We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, but we seem to be unable to find any information about your stay as we have never overcharged any one.

We are a boutique Hotel and not a B&B so hence we do have a restaurant attached and we do take payment for suites on arrival.

I have been back though all our booking and we have never overcharged for dinner and have never done a reversal?? So I’m not where you stayed. Two weeks for a overcharge we have never done one except for a per paid on a suite and they couldn’t make it and as they were overseas it took a while to sort, but never in the restaurant??.

Part of the review is true in that we do not allow shared mains as we only have 8 tables inside Escape and have $55.00 minimum spend per table.

You say: When I tried to get this charge reversed it was like pulling teeth. It took almost two weeks before the matter to be taken care of, and only after repeated calls. They couldn't be bothered.
( Who did you speak to as we are a small team and no one has ever done a reversal here?)

Also we are finished in the Restaurant most nights by 10pm and this has been ok for other guests as most like the fact they can dine on site. Again if you stayed with us we are sorry you didn’t enjoy it but again we did not overcharge you or anyone else. Juliearna Kavanagh Owner