“Perfect way to end our honeymoon!”

Escape to Picton Boutique Hotel
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed 1 February 2012

From our arrival to when we left we had an amazing time staying at this beautiful boutique hotel.

We were greeted by friendly staff and the owner and were given champagne on arrival.. a nice touch since it was not expected. After having a lovely chat we went to our gorgeous suite... wow.. it looks exactly like the pictures on the web infact in real life even better! The suite is huge and the sunken french bath my favourite... The bath products supplied were of good quality and nicely perfumed.

We ate in the house restaurant that evening and had a stunning three course meal and lovely wines.. Everything was first class and there was a nice atmosphere throughout. This is a great restaurant to go to even if your not staying at the hotel.

Breakfast in the morning was a full cooked english for me and a great french toast for my Husband again more than we expected since on our internet booking it was for a continental...

We were sad to leave this wonderful place. We will visit again and recommend it anyone who wants 5 star luxury as soon as they get of the ferry!!

Top marks from us and all the best to Juliarna and her team

Ness and Paul

Room Tip: Take the Formal suite - it's the best !
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lodger69

Reviewed 28 January 2012

We stayed here on our honeymoon and I'd chosen the Formal room as it seemed very romantic from the pics on the website. As we entered the room we both swore under our breath - it was really impressive. Big room, lovely old fashioned furniture and a decadent bathroom area adjacent to the main room.

Our experience of the restaurant was excellent, albeit empty - I think we must have chosen the quietest weekend in Jan/Feb for our trip, as when we ventured further afield to look for a lively place for a post-dinner drink, we found the rest of Picton equally quiet. Anyhow, back to the food - we both ate surf and turf and it was delicious. I have attached a piccy. The waiter was friendly and we had a lovely, albeit quiet evening.

The other room (the Modern room) was empty during our stay and we did sneakily peek our heads round the door, and it was most impressive. I think my husband may have even preferred it - he's not one for flouncy old fashioned stuff (but I am!)

We had a good chat with the owner on the morning of our departure - she was incredibly buzzy and friendly and chatty - so much so that we almost missed our boat tour ;-)

Yes the hotel is expensive but so is everything in New Zealand (until the British pound perks up) and as it was our honeymoon we'd opted for the loveliest places to stay, and Escape to Picton was indeed very good. The only improvement I could think of is if the hotel was plucked up from its current position and placed on the hills overlooking the harbour, for a better view and a more remote feel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lexiloola
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Escape to Picton was our favourite place that we stayed whilst travelling New Zealand. The rooms are beautiful and the the dinner we had in the evening was very nice as was the cocktails we had. Thank you and we would love to come back.

Room Tip: The French Room
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fred E
Reviewed 20 January 2012

While this hotel gets rave reviews, my experience was unacceptable and so I am inspired to write.
We arrived to a non existent reception area where a young lady sat with headphones and a computer.
We were told to get our luggage, take off our shoes prior to going upstairs on the new carpet??, and then were shown to the rooms. We had booked both rooms upstairs at an extremely high rate so I was quite alarmed at this reception.
This JJ is not a Kiwi and she was the ONLY person in all of New Zealand who we experienced as pure Capitalist. She is in the business of gouging and dodging and gave a hint of that behavior prior to our arrival. Too bad I did not listen to my instincts. Now you know. Try the Historic Sennen House. It is the antithesis of the weary and mean spirited aura of the Escape To Picton local.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank gaile p
Escapetopicton, Owner at Escape to Picton Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Hello Gaile P,

1/ You Booked two suites for the 29th & 30th of December and didn’t turn up on the 29th.
2/ You were given a discount rate of between $150 to $195 off each suite.
3/ We only have three suites here and have been full.
4/ You missed your ferry on the 29th and your daughter rung us at 6pm on the 29th to say so.
5/ In all correspondence it is stated cancelations within 21 days are 30% and 7 days are 100%
6/ You could have caught several other ferries that evening but didn’t and then arrived 5.30pm the next day?
7/ Yes you were charged the full discounted rate as we waited for you to arrive and we could not sell the suites, you did not leave a telephone number and your daughter who was driving was on the phone to the staff member. In New Zealand we do not use the phone and drive.
8/ I am 100% Kiwi!
9/ Eden my daughter performs in the restaurant and had head phones on as she was doing her backing CD and she didn’t want to disturb our other lovely guest.
10/ I travel a lot and I have been caught out myself for all sorts of reason’s ash cloud etc so I asked if you had insurance and you said no I the most awful manner.
My advice is you should when travelling at this level as suites are not cheap in high season. I must have said several times I sympathised with your situation but we have to charge.
11/ You asked me to move people around on the 31st of December, New Years Eve so off course for any normal person that is a No.
12/ I sent up a nice bottle of Champagne plus a very large platter and later in the evening you stated I should have shouted all your drinks in the bar again No.
13/ You wanted me to give your money back but we are small and those suites would have been full as we turned away other’s in the month prior.
14/ We have a reception area but again we are small and staff come straight around when you come to the door. There is a door bell?
15/ You believe you were ripped of as you missed your own Ferry or maybe you got the dates wrong which is more likely as you turned up so late the next day.
16/ You were never told to get your luggage that is madness and anyone who has ever stayed here knows different we always offer to help with bags. This pure rubbish!
16/ Your suites were clean and the next day when you came back to have a go on New Years Eve and said there was a mark on the comforter again madness, you were an embarrassment to your own old adult children who rolled their eyes at you.

Beware should be anyone who crosses your path. If you would like to read in more detail please do so below.

Escape to Picton is a small three suite hotel with a restaurant.
Gaile was booked for herself and her two grown children in their late twenty’s on the nights of the 29th & 30th of December and as they were taking two suites on the top floor we discounted the rate from $595 & $550 to $400 each suite. This is our peak time of the year and as we only have three suites, we are full most nights. On the 29th of December we received a call at Escape around 6pm to say they had missed their Wellington Ferry, there were other ferries that night from Wellington so we waited for them to arrive. I also sent an email as we did not have a contact number, with no reply, we waited till midnight as the last ferry gets in at around 11.35pm. They did not arrive until the next day at 5.30pm which is odd as you would have thought they would have caught one of the earlier ferries that day, but again it is up to the client when they wish to arrive. In all our correspondence it is stated if you cancel within 21 days a 30% charge is made and within 7 days, 100% will be charged as we can not sell the suites as most customer pre book. On arrival Eden our daughter was here putting together a backing cd as she performs in the restaurant singing each night, so hence the head phones to not disturb the other guests in the Sea room. The staff asked if they would like a hand with luggage but were told that it was ok, I also sent up a very nice bottle of bubbles and a beautiful fruit & chocolate platter. The only thing correct in this review is the young lady who showed them to their suites was new and she took her shoes off as we have cream carpet and these guests followed suit, the young lady should have said that the guest were absolutely fine to leave their shoes on it is just staff who have been in and out of the kitchen take theirs off. She apologised several times and was told don’t worry it is fine.
The comment I am not a Kiwi is nuts I was born in Gore and I am sooooo kiwi I am not sure of where you think I am from my ex husband is Irish?
I am not a capitalist I work extremely hard and very long hours, most of our customers are really lovely but I believe you will have problems were ever you go and whatever you do as you were the most aggressive client we or I have ever had in 25 years your nature was horrid.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

My husband and I run Motels in Little Kaiteriteri and needed a break away that incorporated a little bit of luxury. We found this at Escape to Picton. As we don't normally stay in establishments as luxurious as this we were unsure how we would be recieved...but we needn't have worried Juliarna met us when we checked in, upgraded us to the top suite, chatted away to us and ensured that we had everything we needed to have a truly relaxing and wonderful stay. The room was amazing with California King Size bed and beautiful antique style furniture throughout. The bathroom was huge with a gorgeous bath and large shower. We had dinner downstairs (Juliearna is the head chef as well) I had a steak in Marsala sauce which was cooked to perfection and my husband had a succulent chicken dish. The wines were beautiful and dessert was luscious. In the morning we were greeted early with a full breakfast including jams, bacon, eggs etc.. once again cooked beautifully.
We found Escape to Picton delightful, our host Juliearna was a joy as was her staff and some of the other guests we talked too. This was a very special and romantic time for us and surpassed our expectations. We will be back and have invited Juliearna to stay at our establishment soon...although it pales in comparison to Escape to Picton!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine G
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I don't think i can lavish enough praise about what an amazing experience my wife and i recently had at Escape to Picton, whilst traveling on our honeymoon trip in New Zealand's South Island.
When i called to book the hotel, i was greeted with charm and friendliness and a level of hospitality that was top notch. The room reminded us of a Parisian Palace with a fantastic bed and a bath tub that we could only dream about beforehand. The attention to detail throughout the hotel left us constantly amazed from the furniture in the room to the presentation of the food. Each of our meals which were served up with gorgeous flowers as a garnish were delicious to look at and eat. The owner who is a delight to talk to, could not have made us feel more welcome but when we found out she was also the head chef, we were completely blown away.
We cannot wait to come back to New Zealand and have another stay at escape to picton, which we think could easily be called escape to paradise! Thank you Julianna!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms looked amazing and you can't make a wrong choice but for the ultimate experience i...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank matthew w
Reviewed 2 November 2011

What a little gem! We travelled all around New Zealand recently on our honeymoon and following the World Cup. We spent a couple of nights in Picton and stayed in this charming boutique hotel. My husband had told the owner in advance it was our honeymoon and she pulled out all the stops. Our stunning room had a large bunch of lillies and a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived. Our chocolate covered fruit and cake arrived shortly after we checked in. This was one of the most luxurious places in the south Island and with all the personal touches which made it a firm favourite with us. Staff were so friendly and ensured that our stay was lacking nothing. We also dined in the restaurant and the food was exceptional. Unbelievable that the chef is also the owner. I had the soup, my husband the chowder and we both had the steak for mains. Delicious. Even if you are only passing through Picton its worth calling in to dine. The Eggs Benedict in the morning also superb. Overall a fantastic experience and we throughly enjoyed our little bit of luxury!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pauline C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Chateau Marlborough
Glengary Bed and Breakfast
Broadway Motel
Broadway Motel
#2 of 17 in Picton

Been to Escape to Picton Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!