“A Lovely Stay”

and 1 more site!
Jugglers Rest Backpackers
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Such a unique place that was so lovely to stay in! On top of being a wonderful hostel (cozy, clean, and warm), Nikki herself sent me my lap-top charger to me in Cambridge, NZ after I had left it at the hostel! I was amazed and so thankful!!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Great hostel with a real family atmosphere- stayed in a single room which was very cosy with an electric blanket and a heater, a friendly place and a good location. Everyone in the hostel cooked dinner together the night I was there, with fish one of the owners had caught that day.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stayed in a double room for one night lovely night on arrival in Picton. The hostess Nikki was so welcoming and even treated us to some fire juggling in the evening! The kitchen and living room couldnt be more homely and the garden is great for relaxing. Only a short walk from town, couldnt recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here in February for two nights before getting the ferry to Wellington. It really is a lovely little place to stay & I would recommend it to anyone. The beds were incredibly comfortable and the place just felt like home. Everyone was friendly & sociable especially the owner Nikki. Where in the world do you find a hostel where you can have a hot bath outside under the stars, pick herbs from the garden to put in your tea & get to wear cute little slipper boots while you're there? We loved every minute staying here and I hope others can visit & enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My brief stay at Jugglers Rest left me hoping I can return some day.

My Sweetie and I heard about Jugglers Rest via the raves of a fellow traveler we met the night before. We stayed there the night of May 1st, 2013 before catching an early ferry the next morning. There were just a few guests on this off-season week night, so I didn't get to experience the synergy that I'm sure develops often with guests making music, juggling, hooping, spinning, and unicycling. But Nikki and Bruce made us feel right at home by their warm fire, opened their ample kitchen to us, regaled us with Jugglers Rest history, and brought out a sweet steel-stringed guitar for me to pluck on. (If Bruce doesn't feel like playing guitar don't badger him, but he's a fine musician!)

The hospitable hearth at the end of a long drive had a fairytale quality. For you visitors obsessed with Lord of the Rings, I was reminded a bit of the Shire though no one there resembled a hobbit.

Finally, Bruce was quick with a band-aid when I cut my finger.

Check out Jugglers rest. Do as I say, not as I did: leave yourself ample time to experience it!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I had always dreamed of finding a hostel like this. A beautifully restored historic villa surrounded by amazing gardens. The hosts, Nikki and Bruce, couldn't have been more welcoming or friendly. I was amazed to find an organic vege and herb garden and numerous fruit trees. The bathrooms and Kitchen are the best appointed and, more importantly, cleanest I have found in ANY hostel in ten years or travel. I found it a perfect place to relax and unwind after a 19 day tramp, a hammock in the sun for the day and a cosy fire at night.

One focus of this hostel is about sustainability which is to be commended in my view. So many hostels these days are financially driven with no thought given to the environmental aspects. The owner, Nikki, embraces sustainability with open arms. Thank you, and keep it up!

I had the best nights sleep I have enjoyed in a number of months and the breakfast is a must!

In the evening there was a fire show with a number of talented performers who happened to be staying. Nikki amazed me with her Poi and fire hoop, the photo's just don't do it justice! I took a number of photos but the Tibetan prayer flag sums this hostel up beautifully.

I know I will be back again, with this place as a destination rather than just somewhere to stop along the way

Room Tip: Either share room is sweet, three beds in one, four in the other. No bunks! :-) The double I glanced...