“One of the best activities on trip to south island”

Waterways Boating Safaris
More attraction details
Owner description: Leicester and Liana have decided to retire and close Waterways boating safaris. We would like to thank everyone who has enjoyed a day out on the water with us. We especially would like to thank all of those who gave us such great reviews over the last 15 years. We thank TripAdvisor as without this website, our business could never have been so successful. The concept that reviews are not solicited and are given freely is one of the best advantages of TripAdvisor. In our travels around the world, both past and in the future, TripAdvisor is our main source of unbiased and useful information from other travellers rather than being baed on commissions or advertising fees being paid by activity and accommodation providers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My parents and I spent a week and a half on the south island from Picton as far south as Fox Glacier doing the usual tourist things. I'm from the US. This was one of the top activities we did, and definitely the top in terms of quality for price.

Liecester and his wife are great, down to earth, wonderful to chat with. The price was very, very reasonable for the full day trip about 930am to 330pm though ours ran 10 to 4 because we were late. I recommend the full day trip (only a little more than the half day trip, hugely entertaining, and not rushed). Driving a boat is just challenging enough to be fun but not enough to be frustrating. You can drive slow and take in the scenery and go fast and zip around this huge body of water. I felt totally safe even going fast.

Be careful when you get into shallow water though as you can damage the motor without even knowing it. As the third member of my party I went in a boat with the the extra member of another party. Our motor went out pretty far out without any obvious problems beforehand and Liecester had to tow that boat back. We rearranged people and I went back with my parents (3 in a boat rather than 2) and were still able to go a good speed and had actually a little more time to look around since Liecester had to go a little slower towing another boat. Felt badly about the motor but Liecester was very friendly and gracious.

Didn't see any marine life on my trip, but there's plenty of spectacular scenery. A nice stop for lunch on a beach and then a short but beautiful walk through the bush included.

Reviewed 13 February 2013

My sister & I went on a full day trip in January. We really enjoyed the day and were surprised at how far into the sounds we went. Unfortunately we didn't see any dolphins but it didn't spoil the day. We were also able to collect some oysters and mussels for our dinner. The free CD of photos Leicester gave us at the end was a nice touch.

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I spent a week holiday in Nelson. The full day trip in boat, around the sounds, excellent weather, driving the boats by ourselves and small walk was the best fun filled family activity. With the best guide from Leicester taking care at every step and the photos provided at the end was icing on the cake. My 5 year old enjoyed it very much and will remember this for ever. I'd vote this activity as a best on Nelson and Marlborough.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our day trip yesterday. It was the perfect day, the weather could not have been better, and Lester our guide ensured a good time was had by all. The visitors from the UK we brought along very much enjoyed themselves so no doubt I'll be back with our next visitors too.

1  Thank clairehobsonsnell
Reviewed 4 January 2013

What a fantastic day out. There isn't one bad thing to say, all 4 of us had an absolute ball. I recommend this trip to everyone. Never driven a boat before so what a blast it was.