“The best backpackers I visited in 2 months of travelling in NZ”

and 1 more site!
Tombstone Backpackers
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Of all the backpackers I visited while cycling down the length of NZ, this one was the best. Lynne is a perfect host and the building and facilities are all clean, new, and of high quality. Beyond that this backpackers offers a lot more than most others I've come across: a spa, free unlimited Internet access, free milk for tea and coffee, and a pool table. The only downside is that you probably won't have a reason to stay in Picton for more than one day so your visit to this backpackers is likely to be over far too soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Tombstone Backpackers

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Tombstone backpacker´s was where I started my South Island trip and it was a great chioce! I love the themed design of the place that includes the modern and stylish rooms.
All the place was very well maintained and clean. A huge TV, free DVDs, strong WIFI and FREE breakfast add a lot of extra value to my stay!
Moreover the owners are super friendly and helpful. Town center is in walking distance but if you feel you can´t make that, they will give you a lift :)
Right when I arrived, Lynne helped me to find and book the right Malbourough sound adventure for me and after I left she managed to find my e-reader that I, scatty enough, left in the room. She sent it via courier back to me. Thanks again for that!
An amazing place and hospitality at its best!

Room Tip: Lynne chose the room for me and did a perfect job as it was quiet and even with bathroom attached.
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Tombstone is everything you want from a hostel - clean, spacious, friendly atmosphere, super helpful owners and a few lovely surprises thrown in (like a hot tub, wifi and freshly baked scones for breakfast all included in the reasonable price!)

Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

It's been 5 years since we visited your place and it was just as we remembered. The place has been well maintained, the same wonderful ambience.The fresh scones were wonderful at breakfast. Even the two cats added to the warm athmosphere. Great to see you again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I had a private ensuite room. Whilst small and simple it was immaculately clean and had some nice decorations and bedspread. It is more like a modern motel room.

The owners are friendly and accommodating. Off street parking can be a bit cramped if there are a lot of people staying with vehicles but one can also park on the street (away a bit from the hostel). The hostel is within easy walking distance of town. The kitchen is well equipped and the common rooms have comfy armchairs and tables. I only stayed for a night but wish I could have spent longer.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

The owners are very accommodating, they picked me up at the ferry when I arrived and dropped me at the train when I was leaving. The room was very clean. Breakfast was included and free internet access. I would recommend Tombstone to anyone traveling to or through Picton.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Breakfast included. Wake up to fresh cheese scones just out of oven!!! Awesome place to stay.
Really helpful and friendly staff. Great place to stay.
Clean rooms and plenty of hot water. It is a pain that I need to write 200 characters to be able to submit this review!!

Room Tip: En suite, worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business