“The best hostel!”

and 1 more site!
Tombstone Backpackers
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here before and after walking The Queen Charlotte Track. Our room was a double en-suite which was immaculately clean and very comfortable. The facilities were excellent with a well equipped kitchen, free WIFI, transfer to and from the ferry (we didn't know this when we arrived and it took a while to find as it's marked in the wrong place on the map in The Rough Guide). The owners are very friendly and helpful. Lynne makes delicious fresh cheese scones every morning as part of the free breakfast. I was very grateful when I left my camera in Christchurch and I was able to arrange with Lynne for it to be sent to Tombstone so I could collect on my return.

Room Tip: The double en-suite rooms are brand new and superb!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed there only one night but it was enough to see that this place is just perfect! Everything there is brand new&clean, from the rooms, bathroom, kitchen to the spa! Also very friendly staff&owner, and a lot of plus like free wifi, breakfast include, free bikes, hot spa and the list goes on... I can only recommend this place and wish I will have the occasion to come back!

Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I booked three nights here and the day I arrived I know it was the right choice. shiny kitchen, spacious communal area, all kinds of facility such as pool, spa, piano, and even running machines! The owner is very friendly and humorous. one thing though I'd like to say is, maybe the owner is too nice to people, some woofers are a bit rude, asking if we could change movie after we have watched for an hour or so. It happened twice in two days. I wonder if this happens to other guests as well.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Everything you could ask for in a backpackers: super friendly and helpful owner and staff, high standard of cleanliness, modern shower facilities, great kitchen with plenty of room in the modern glass fronted double fridges and sturdy bunk beds with crisp sheets and black duvet covers. The owner Lynne, keeps a close eye on things and ensures that people do their own dishes. Warm cheese scones are served up each morning for breakfast, along with cereals, bread for toasting & preserves. Tea and coffee are free along with milk for your hot drinks. Pick up and drop off from interislander terminal. Large area with tables and chairs for eating, separate quiet room, another separate tv room, enclosed verandah with pool table and round the side there is a verandah which catches the evening sun. This was the first hostel I stayed in in the South Island and I loved it.

Room Tip: I stayed in an eight bed dorm and had no issues whatsoever despite being on the top bunk
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Where to start?! Great staff, clean, comfy rooms and bathrooms. Free breakfast and wifi, a hot tub and great stunning views of the town and the bay. It's a very short walk from the town, the ferry terminal, the train station or the bus terminal, but the hostel also offers a free shuttle. Also, great prices! But the best thing is the staff, the hosts are fantastic, helpful and cheerful. A great place to stay!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This place is awesome... Nice staff, good vibe, extremely clean, and super convenient for the ferry terminal (and only a 5minute walk into town). The hostess, Lynn, is more than willing to give visitors a lift to and from the ferry terminal if they want it, despite the close location. There are delicious fresh scones for breakfast every morning. There are fruit trees if you want to forrage your own apples, lemons, figs or grapes. There is unlimited free wifi. There are two lovely cats who wander through the lounge when they desire (they're mostly outside though so don't be concerned if you're allergic to cat hair). There is a very clean hut tub for guest use. All this for the cost of all other hostels...Certainly a highlight of my experience so far.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Just before departing Wellington and deciding where to stay we came across Tombstone back Packers on the web and saw it had great reviews and decided to give it a go. Considering we were a couple of 60 plus travelers and first time back packers we gave them a call. Found the owner Lynn a very friendly and responsive host over the phone. On arriving we received a real surprise to learn we had been upgraded and it was a 5 star accommodation with a complimentary breakfast and Lynn's homemade freshly baked cheese Scones thrown in. Full house of friendly young guests making for wonderful conversation. Lynn's hospitality will see us return someday and we will put the word out to our friends. Alex & Mary

Room Tip: View overlooking Picton a bonus, and if you want your own bathroom ask for a suit
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple