“lovely location, but not a great experience”

Seabreeze Cafe & Bar
Ranked #7 of 45 Restaurants in Picton
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Local NZ seafood, wines and beers. A nautical theme and piano bar with view across the waterfront and Queen Charlotte Sound
Reviewed 16 July 2014

It’s a lovely looking café, bright, great views, great location on the main street. The atmosphere in the café was nice, lots of space and clean. There was a nice hum to the place.

They offer counter food, and a hot food menu. Standard café fare. And a selection of hot and cold drinks as you’d expect.

The service at the counter was pretty prompt and friendly.

We went in on a Thursday afternoon for a late lunch. We had a couple of toasted sandwiches and corn fritters, as well as a coffee.

The toasted sandwiches were OK, as was the coffee. My son had the corn fritters, which looked great, but were a bit bland. Thanks goodness for the chilli sauce. My son thought that the salad looked great, but he wouldn’t eat it as he found a slug in it!

This is not that uncommon, I reckon. I have accidently left unwanted protein on veges when I cook at home. So, I thought long and hard about mentioning the slug this in this review. I did not want to unreasonably harm the café. But having read some of the other reviews, and considering the way that the staff reacted to this, I concluded that this needed a mention.

When we first found the slug, I wanted to ask for a replacement the meal. But my son wasn’t too bothered, he ate the corn fritters, but left the salad. This was a real shame because he said that the salad looked great. My wife took the slug and the leaf it was on the to staff member at the counter. They were horrified, but did not offer to replace the meal, or a refund or discount. Or even come over to apologise.

This illustration of the lack of respect for the customer needs to be mentioned.

We were in Picton for 3 days. We did not return to the café.

1  Thank yippopotamus

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I have enjoyed everything from a coffee and muffin to a full meal. It doesn't matter what the weather is - lovely summer day to cold, wet and windy there is a great view of the harbor and beyond to enjoy inside or out in the fresh air. The quantity is 'just right' and the service friendly and prompt. (:

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This busy cafe has a prime position overlooking the harbour at Picton. Great place to watch the interislander docking.
As I was only in need of a small meal I chose the seafood chowder ($22)which came with toasted ciabatta. My husband opted for the lamb chops with mash & veg($32). A trio of ice cream completed the meal. All food was very good and worth the money. The view & atmosphere made it especially nice.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I had the fish cakes, they were awesome.A busy cafe. Try the thickshakes, I had raspberry, it was devine, not too rich.
I would go again.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Mixed reviews for this cafe. The location and appearance adds to the charm of Picton giving you the sense of a cafe culture city/town. The counter service was quick and we found a table in the lower section as the top area was very busy. This area was nearly empty but may not suit some as the tables and stools are high. The added bonus of this area is the large open windows that allow the sea breeze to filter in. This area also has a huge local map on the wall and piano.

We were in for a fish and chip lunch and with the number of tables taken top end we expected a wait. I didn't expect the drinks to take as long as they did. The poor girl on drinks duty was not only expected to make all the drinks but to find the customers too. This shows lack of planning by management. Like most coffee bars it can take 2 baristas to keep up with demand, they shouldn't have to deliver each drink too.

The meal was very good. Hot, plentiful and well presented. All the staff who served us were very pleasant and polite.

Pricing was top end of what I'd expect to pay in a cafe and we didn't see anything else on the menu that seemed value to make a return.

I returned the next day to grab some takeaway coffees. Bit of a mistake. Being given a number to get coffees is a bad sign. The only saving grace was I was able to past the time listening to a number of tunes being played on the piano...

1  Thank Wing_Watcher