“Excellent arrangement for those on the night ferry from Wellington!”
Review of Marlin Motel

Marlin Motel
Marlin Motel
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Picton
Bradford UK
“Excellent arrangement for those on the night ferry from Wellington!”
Reviewed 10 February 2013

The first impressions of this motel were very good indeed. We had come off the Wellington ferry at about 1 am to very gratefully find this motel very near to the terminal. Secondly we were quite stressed that may be the owners would be in bed and therefore we would not have any way of checking in. No worries there! On the reception door was a big notice with ever late arrival's room number. The doors were already unlocked and the key easy available. Such a relief. We only stayed over night and was very happy just to arrive. the room was average for a motel. Well stock kitchen. My mate wasn't liking the occasional wildlife (my mate's first view of a southern hemisphere cockroach) in the bedroom. Having travelled in the outback before - to me I wasn't bothered! If you are on the late ferry - email the motel and tell them.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Auckland
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We had been staying at a bach in the Marlborough Sound, and the weather turned nasty, so we cut our stay short there and had to find somewhere to stay in PIcton. This was it. A nice surprise., The rooms had a very 70s feel to them - not necessarily to everyone's taste - but the unit was nice and big, with two separate bedrooms, and a a proper living room. The toiletries provided were excellent, and in proper-sized bottles. Host was very friendly, and showed us a place on site to wash our boat down. Outdoor furniture was also supplied, and we had a very pleasant dinner with another family in the garden. There is guest laundry on site, but the one negative we found was the $10 to use it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed at Marlin Motel for one night on the way south. It was average and i thought a little expensive for what it was. The unit was ok but could do with a bit of a make over.
I was arriving late so the owner left the unit unlocked for me which was excellent.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 1811027Gary
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Let me start by saying that I have worked in Hotels and lived in Hotels for over 21 years now. So I have a rough Idea what Motels/Hotels in New Zealand and around the world look like.
This hotel was the first one out of six in the South Island on our anual Motorbike tour.It was with $NZ186.00 for two the most expensive one. Location was handy, Organic tea , soap and TV good.But that's where it all comes to a screeching hold. First the ceiling in unit 15 has asbestos locking cover. I was very concerned as I had it all removed in my place 16 years ago. The furniture is just really bad ,old and should have been replaced twenty years ago. I stripped my bed in the morning to see how old the mattress is.The dirty Mattress cover was from 1990!!!! It was no surprise that I had next day major back problems.Sleeping in a bed like a banana does not help, no back support at all. I felt the springs all night long.The shower is at least 20 years old as well. Once again I replaced one of these showers in my house 15 years ago , because it was worn out. In the living room/kitchen/2nd bedroom you got one wall totally covered in Carpet???!!!
The kitchen is not worth to talk about it. It's old and worn out.
The curtains in this unit are shocking.
I could get on about the sink, heating, general cleanliness,microwave you name it.
This place makes money by having a very good location. It needs some serious overhaul.
This concept of saving money and hoping we get away with it for another year will not work.Management read the signs and do something about it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wolfram S

Travellers are raving about these Picton hotels

Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2012

My wife and I stayed in a studio apartment which was quite a small room (compared with our three weeks stays elsewhere). Bad stuff first - furniture and room was quite dated - not something I mind as sometimes retro can be quite charming but this place was a little tired. Some nice touches were the organic soaps and very cosy towels (to management: yes we notice these small things thank you!). The price though should have been 10-20 less than the $120 we paid. Another good thing was the helpfulness of our host - good recommendations for meals and things to see. We would probably stay somewhere else next time...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We drove in, without reservations because we were taking the ferry in the morning. The host was so friendly, the room was large, equipped with kitchen facilities, DVD player and clean bathroom. The owner had a selection of DVD's that we could borrow for free. He also made a great recommendation for a Thai Restaurant that was within walking distance and delicious.

The location was great, easy access from the highway.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank spunky022
Europe
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We stayed here just for 1 night, before taking the ferry to cross from the South Island to the Norh Island.
Picton is quite small (I imagined it would be bigger because of its harbour) and so it is in general a quite and laid back place. This motel is not an exception because it was also quite and laid back. I don't remember it to be as modern and renovated as other places we had been but the overall impression was positive and satisfactory. The unit we had had all necessary to have a good stay, and the owners were also nice, friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again, no issues at all.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family