“Stayed 2 Nights” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sequoia Lodge
Wellngton, New Zealand
“Stayed 2 Nights”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Sequoia Lodge is an alright place to stay if you are only sleeping there, I've stayed here 3-4 times (3 in a Double Room with Ensuite and 1 in a Motel Room)! I stay once a year and it's only when the Blues Brews and BBQ's is on in Blenheim (first weekend in February)..

Normally I have my Husband with me, but this time I went away solo!!

This time round made me feel like I wont go back there again, I went to check in on Friday Afternoon at 3.50pm and no one was around, I went back at 4.30pm and was greeted by the man at the desk, he asked me a few questions and made me pay for my 2 nights there and then (that was fine, but most places I stay, I pay when I leave).. I went to a mates place, got back to room about 10pm and you would've thought there was a party going on, the noise was so bad, i couldn't sleep and im a 32 year old female who enjoys a good time, so to even type this makes me feel old! There are people walking around about 5.30/6am (probably for the Ferry), so keep your windows closed, otherwise the walking on the stones/gravel is quite loud! The Rooms do smell a bit old and musty, but hey... you get what you pay for!!

There is Free Coffee/Breakfast etc, but I would rather go and pay/eat elsewhere as you don't really want to be fighting to get in with a bunch of strangers trying to make breakfast and a cup of coffee.. also, trying to find somewhere to sit and eat could be a problem when there are 10-15 people trying to do the same!

For $78.00 a night, it's OK, as long as you're just sleeping/showering there as there is nothing to keep you amused, unless you want to mingle with the other guests (which I would do if i was staying there to have a good time and drink)!

I vacated on Sunday morning at 8.30am and no one was at reception, so I just left my key on the desk (Office Hours are 8.00am - whenever they feel like), I think it's a laid back approach!

The place is for sale.. hmmm!

Next time, I think I will stay at the the Americano (nice there, can watch TV, is comfortable enough to drink in your room and you're in the township) or the Yacht Club - Bar, Restaurant and Pool (Will never get bored)!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Recently spent two nights at Sequoia after arriving in the South Island. Location is alright, a couple of minutes drive into town or 15 minutes walk

Stayed in a double ensuite room near the carpark at the back of the property - the walls are pretty thin so it's not hard to hear your neighbours arriving back late at night! Was nice and cosy.. the bed was definitely a 'double'. Water pressure was fine, and the basin was just big enough to do a bit of hand washing in. There are clothes lines & pegs available for you to hang stuff on to dry.

The common areas are spacious, lots of tables, seats and sofas to use. Hot tub is popular. It runs on a booking system, so just put your name on the board by reception. Hot choc pudding and icecream is delicious.. great not to have to worry about dessert :)

Overall happy with our stay here.

Room Tip: Furthest away from the carpark is best as the surface isn't sealed so cars make a bit of noise d...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Fleet, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

we only stopped here for one night before catching the ferry early in the morning.

we had to wait around for reception to re open as they close for a few hours in the afternoon as one person does a very long shift and needs a break. we were eventually checked in, rather rushed and the guy wasnt happy at all as by the time he gets back there are lots of people at reception wanting to check in.

the hostel itself is nice, they have parking, kicthen was ok, common area was nice, rooms are a good size. you also get some free wifi and then theres free choc pudding in the evening (you have to get in quickly though!)

the one thing that concerned us was there are no locks on the dorm room doors (our room was in the main building), so we locked most of our stuff in our car. They said they do not have locks as people leave at different times of the morning/night due to the ferry and its a lot of hassle with key deposits etc which I can understand but our room was right by the front door - this was left unlocked and ajar all night!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
barcelona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I would first start by saying: do not stay in picton. There is nothing here and it is much better to continue onto Marahau, Kaikoura, or Nelson. But if you must, then Sequoia Lodge is ok. The kitchen is big, you get 50MB free internet, there is a hot pool, and free pudding. The place smells a bit of old/musky, but it is clean.

• Stayed December 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed one night prior to taking the ferry. Reasonably priced, clean accomodation. The pudding was less than delicious, but tough to complain about this for what it is.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Rotorua, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2011

Stayed one night in a clean spacious twin room with own ensuite bathroom. Great location - only a few minutes walk into town for dinner and back to enjoy the FREE hot chocolate pudding & ice cream in the comfortable colourful communal dining room. Then a lovely hot soak under the stars in the outdoor spa pool.
In the morning, FREE breakfast before jumping on the ferry nearby.

Can't ask for more than that!! Much more than I expected from a Backpackers....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Wish I could have stayed for more than one night.

Staff were very helpful and did all they could to ensure you had a good time (gave the person I arrived with and myself a free room upgrade because they were quite busy in the normal dorms + altered the times of the free shuttle to the ferry terminal to suit everyone + allowed me to stick my wet stuff in front of the fire). Also nice of them to not require you to strip the bed on checkout

The extras were great...free shuttle to and from the ferry terminal, tasty chocolate pudding, solid breakfast and a spa pool.

Hostel facilities and cleanliness were very good.

My one criticism is that the mattress I had seemed quite thin/soft, but it didnt really disrupt my sleeping only an issue when I was sitting on the bed chatting.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo