“PROBLEM No security at this hostel”
Review of Sequoia Lodge

Sequoia Lodge
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Just to warn others about Sequoia Lodge. Despite emails to the owners, there is still no security if you are staying in dormitories here. The hostel is next to the main Highway 1 but despite this, the dorm rooms do not lock and there are NO lockers for your valuables. The reception is only there part of the day, and there is even a notice at reception inviting people to look around the place when the staff are not there. Not good to leave cameras, bags and laptops in such an open and insecure place. The owners just do not seem to care about security at all.

Also, there was no heating in the room during my stay (and it was needed) and the main room light electric sockets did not work.

Not a good place to stay,.

Room Tip: Choose another place where you can lock things and where the electrics work !!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
SequoiaLodge, Owner at Sequoia Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

In response to the perceived security problem, ths same guest stayed with us about 2 years ago and he raised the same concerns. We took this very seriously and the police were called in to conduct an audit and to get their opinion on the level of security in the property. The opinion of the police was that the security position was perfectly acceptable and no request was made by them to tighten up our security. This was a relief for us and the case was closed. We do acknowledge that our dorm style rooms do not have locks on them. However we do have a safe for valuables and between our manager who is site from 8am to 9pm (but takes a break from 2-4pm) and our pool of 6-7 exchange workers, there is generally someone in the hostel to keep an eye on things. We have not been advised or had to report a theft in the last 2 years, or since this issue was first bought to our attention. And in many cases, we get lovely feedback around the theme that our hostel as a very homely feel, the style of our dorms and the non locking nature of them contributing to this feeling.
And we apologise if the electrical issue disrupted other guests. As soon as it was bought to our attention, we rectified it.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

I thought this was a pretty laid back hostel with friendly staff. Its probably one of the furthest hostels from the ferry but its still only about a ten min walk and they run free shuttles to take you back there. Might be worth investigating if they'll pick you up when they make a booking. The kitchen is a good size and well equipped, didn't seem to get too busy. Nice living room to relax in and theres a hot tub you can use for free. The place is really clean. I stayed in a 5 bed dorm that wasn't too crowded and was pretty comfy but my only problem was there was no locks on the doors and no lockers in the room for your valuables.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My friends and myself stayed here in April 2011. We were travelling in a camper and wanted a cafe place to park up and stay. The lady who ran the place allowed us to pitch up camp in the car park. We were only charged 1 persons rate for 3 of us which was very kind. The WiFi was quick and the breakfast was really nice. Sadly there isn't a great deal to do in Picton to be honest apart form wait to ge the ferry back over to the North Island. Overall the staff were very nice and welcoming, the pice is pretty standard for NZ. I would stay again!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I don't know if he was the owner or just staff, either way, the man who greeted us on arrival was so miserable. It was awful.

the room was good, nice hammock outside. Kitchen was good, not enough fridge room though.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Sequoia Lodge is an alright place to stay if you are only sleeping there, I've stayed here 3-4 times (3 in a Double Room with Ensuite and 1 in a Motel Room)! I stay once a year and it's only when the Blues Brews and BBQ's is on in Blenheim (first weekend in February)..

Normally I have my Husband with me, but this time I went away solo!!

This time round made me feel like I wont go back there again, I went to check in on Friday Afternoon at 3.50pm and no one was around, I went back at 4.30pm and was greeted by the man at the desk, he asked me a few questions and made me pay for my 2 nights there and then (that was fine, but most places I stay, I pay when I leave).. I went to a mates place, got back to room about 10pm and you would've thought there was a party going on, the noise was so bad, i couldn't sleep and im a 32 year old female who enjoys a good time, so to even type this makes me feel old! There are people walking around about 5.30/6am (probably for the Ferry), so keep your windows closed, otherwise the walking on the stones/gravel is quite loud! The Rooms do smell a bit old and musty, but hey... you get what you pay for!!

There is Free Coffee/Breakfast etc, but I would rather go and pay/eat elsewhere as you don't really want to be fighting to get in with a bunch of strangers trying to make breakfast and a cup of coffee.. also, trying to find somewhere to sit and eat could be a problem when there are 10-15 people trying to do the same!

For $78.00 a night, it's OK, as long as you're just sleeping/showering there as there is nothing to keep you amused, unless you want to mingle with the other guests (which I would do if i was staying there to have a good time and drink)!

I vacated on Sunday morning at 8.30am and no one was at reception, so I just left my key on the desk (Office Hours are 8.00am - whenever they feel like), I think it's a laid back approach!

The place is for sale.. hmmm!

Next time, I think I will stay at the the Americano (nice there, can watch TV, is comfortable enough to drink in your room and you're in the township) or the Yacht Club - Bar, Restaurant and Pool (Will never get bored)!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Recently spent two nights at Sequoia after arriving in the South Island. Location is alright, a couple of minutes drive into town or 15 minutes walk

Stayed in a double ensuite room near the carpark at the back of the property - the walls are pretty thin so it's not hard to hear your neighbours arriving back late at night! Was nice and cosy.. the bed was definitely a 'double'. Water pressure was fine, and the basin was just big enough to do a bit of hand washing in. There are clothes lines & pegs available for you to hang stuff on to dry.

The common areas are spacious, lots of tables, seats and sofas to use. Hot tub is popular. It runs on a booking system, so just put your name on the board by reception. Hot choc pudding and icecream is delicious.. great not to have to worry about dessert :)

Overall happy with our stay here.

Room Tip: Furthest away from the carpark is best as the surface isn't sealed so cars make a bit of noise d...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2011

we only stopped here for one night before catching the ferry early in the morning.

we had to wait around for reception to re open as they close for a few hours in the afternoon as one person does a very long shift and needs a break. we were eventually checked in, rather rushed and the guy wasnt happy at all as by the time he gets back there are lots of people at reception wanting to check in.

the hostel itself is nice, they have parking, kicthen was ok, common area was nice, rooms are a good size. you also get some free wifi and then theres free choc pudding in the evening (you have to get in quickly though!)

the one thing that concerned us was there are no locks on the dorm room doors (our room was in the main building), so we locked most of our stuff in our car. They said they do not have locks as people leave at different times of the morning/night due to the ferry and its a lot of hassle with key deposits etc which I can understand but our room was right by the front door - this was left unlocked and ajar all night!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends