“Wow, free wi-fi that works”
Review of Sequoia Lodge

Sequoia Lodge
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

I have been travelling for over 4 months (Australia and New Zealand) and you won't believe just how rare it is for a hostel to provide both free wi-fi, and wi-fi that actually works and is good enough to stream YouTube (for example). Well, the Sequoia Lodge has it.

Nicely located close to town (and yet still relatively quiet) and also close to the lovely approx 1.5hr Tirohanga Track walk which provides great views over town and the Marlborough Sounds.

The 4-bed dorm I was in was comfy and spacious enough for 4 people. The communal areas were clean and practical. All in all, a charming and quaint hostel.

Free shuttle to/from the ferry and free hostel shuttles are also few and far between in New Zealand.

Nice one Sequoia Lodge, really enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Sequoia Lodge

Reviewed 2 February 2014

hostel was full during our stay, and I can see why. quaint and quirky hostel - we loved it. chocolate pudding and ice cream went down a treat every night at 8pm. the spa pool was nice and my children enjoyed the hammocks and playing chess on the giant outdoor chess board.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Not happy at 6am when I want a hot shower before catching the ferry and the shower has only skin burning hot water for 2 minutes then continuous freezing cold. I specifically paid for an ensuite room so I could have my own bathroom but it appears it was a total waste of money. There is free WiFi which would be better if the signal reached the pirate rooms. So I couldn't even use that facility.
for only a few dollars more I could've stayed in a much more luxurious place where the shower would've worked properly and the beds would've been comfortable.
I Will be looking elsewhere on my next trip through Picton, but if your easily bribed with free chocolate pudding you probably won't mind staying here

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
SequoiaLodge, Manager at Sequoia Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are sorry that your shower didn't work and we can understand your frustration especially at 6 am in the morning outside of office hours. We would have appreciated it if you had contacted us directly to let us know which room you had the problem with, as we could fix the problem quickly and efficiently so future guests wouldn't have the same problem.

Our free unlimited WIFi is available in all our communal rooms where we have lots of plugs and offer adapters for devices. All of our communal areas are open 24 hrs a day.

If you do decide to stay with us again I am sure you will find us accommodating and very helpful.

Thanks again for your Feedback it will help us to improve for the future.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I've actually stayed here twice, the first time it was amazing. We were just out side of the busy season and the place felt just like home, the woman who runs the place with her husband was incredibly friendly and very helpful.
The room I stayed in was clean, cosy and I liked how each bed had it's own shelf and bedside light - after staying in quite a few hostels these are a big plus! There's also extra blankets and hot water bottles if you want it. The other great plus is there's free chocolate pudding each night which is yummy!
The second stay was in the middle of high season and everything was just as lovely but it was much busier and so not quite so homey, however even with the place packed it was a great hostel.

There's also a TV room, free internet (which works great when it's not busy but is very slow when everyone is trying to access it) as well as a hot tub and some hammocks.

All in all if you're in picton it's a great place to choose and I would definitely stay again if I find myself in Picton again

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Awesome hostel! Stayed here a few times with our hiking groups before heading to Abel Tasman. Great spot and excellent value with the chocolate pudding gathering every evening. Friendly staff and well designed/stocked kitchen. Stay here if traveling through Picton!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We showed up a little later than expected, but the were very accommodating. Get there early and make use of the hot tub...it gets reserved quickly. Free wifi, and great accommodations. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Service is friendly and very helpful. When I asked them about local boat Marlborough Sounds tours, they recommended the Dolphin Cruise and Bird Sanctuary Tour (book here a week in advance for a discount: http://www.bookme.co.nz/bookings/abel-tasman-nelson-picton/activity/picton-dolphin-cruise-bird-sanctuary/834), and it was great! Place is clean, quiet (but busy and lively enough around dinnertime to visit with people. You get free access to unlimited wifi, hot tub, chocolate pudding (like American chocolate cake with icing) at 8pm every night. They have an iron, ironing board, and hairdryer you can borrow as well. Free towels available if you ask for them. Linens included. Woke up a couple times due to traffic on main road outside, but not too bad. A ten-minute walk to town. Stayed here two nights in a private room (shared bathrooms). I'd highly recommend it (and the cruise!).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends